Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT and stove question

I am new to backcountry hunting. I've always just day hunted. Anyways I'm looking at getting a mountain shelter lt and like the idea of getting a stove too. Since I'm new though I don't know how you go about installing a stove jack?

If you don't feel comfortable installing a jack. Contact Titanium Goat, Bearpaw WD, or Seek Outside. Titanium Goat is in Utah and the other two in Colorado.

I am new to backcountry hunting. I've always just day hunted. Anyways I'm looking at getting a mountain shelter lt and like the idea of getting a stove too. Since I'm new though I don't know how you go about installing a stove jack?

Bearpaw WD has a video on their website on how to do it. Otherwise, send your tarp in and jack + install is like $50. John is a good guy to work with.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I may send my to Bearpaw to have one added. How much weight does their stove jack add? I see the tigoat jack is only 4 oz.

edg1967, I've got the tigoat 16" cylinder for my BCS II (should have it in less than a month) and I got the parts to make it a 12" for summer or the LT. We will see how it works out.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I may send my to Bearpaw to have one added. How much weight does their stove jack add? I see the tigoat jack is only 4 oz.

edg1967, I've got the tigoat 16" cylinder for my BCS II (should have it in less than a month) and I got the parts to make it a 12" for summer or the LT. We will see how it works out.

I just sold my Mountainsmith...probably will regret that in a few months. I DIYed a Ti Goat stove jack & weighed everything for the person I sold it to. I came up with 38 oz. for the shelter with jack, both stuff sacks & 10 factory stakes. I don't know what the shelter weighs without the jack but that would give you a reference weight.

So guys hat are running this shelter, what stove is in these pics and what do you recommend. I have this shelter coming to me, I may add a stove jack and pick up a wood stove. Thanks for the input.

Weaver, I was looking at the small WiFi stove from Titanium goat to put in this shelter with a stove jack.

When I have mine setup, there is a decent 2" gap all around the perimeter of the shelter. It seems like it would be an easy way to loose a bunch of heat. I know some of the manufactured shelter that are made for wood stoves will have some sort of material to cover up the gap. Does the stove work well with the gap, I'm awfully curious of your thoughts.

Thanks,
Ross,

I have since upgraded to the small WiFi stove. Excellent choice.
As for the gap around the perimeter, it hasn't been a problem unless its windy. I'll pile my gear along the upwind side or snow if possible. The heat rises and I can still get it uncomfortably hot with a gap all the way around the bottom. The tent probably stays warm longer after the stove goes out if theres no gap but by then I'm fast asleep in my quilt.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Weaver. I was going to sew a draft stopper on it. My tyvek ground sheet may be a good wind blocker by itself. I think I may try to get a small wifi stove purchased before this fall.

Thanks again!!

Haha nice try! I did sell the stove...looking for something a little bigger and lighter. Love the shelter though. Believe I also bought my gun- bearer from you. Love that thing as well.
Did you ever put a new stove in this? I've been looking at the smith stove to put in mine.

941e845eb349dafbbacfddccb3d09e46.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What stove? I like how you put rocks around it. Good idea.

That’s the smallest TiGoat. If you place stones under and around it, you can get some extra heat retention. I have had 2 guys in the tent + stove. It was tight and both had to get up if the guy on the stove side had to piss, but it was doable.

That’s the smallest TiGoat. If you place stones under and around it, you can get some extra heat retention. I have had 2 guys in the tent + stove. It was tight and both had to get up if the guy on the stove side had to piss, but it was doable.
This is exactly what I'm looking to do! Thanks for the tip!

I have this shelter also. Its great BUT I hunt in Ga and Tx a bit and biggest issue is condensation.
Has anyone ever made a liner for it ? Here in MD set up overnight with no one in it, it was raining inside.
I really like it, size weight is great. I can do 2 checked bags and a rental and hunt anywhere with it but that condensation is a real problem

I have this shelter also. Its great BUT I hunt in Ga and Tx a bit and biggest issue is condensation.
Has anyone ever made a liner for it ? Here in MD set up overnight with no one in it, it was raining inside.
I really like it, size weight is great. I can do 2 checked bags and a rental and hunt anywhere with it but that condensation is a real problem

Do you pitch it tight to the ground or leave a bit of space? I haven’t slept in mine yet but it can be set up with a 3” gap around the bottom which should help from what I’ve seen.

Back