Mountainsmith LT setup without poles?

I just got a green Mountainsmith LT for late season hunting. My 8x10 tarp has been great, but I wanted a bit more coverage and simple setup as the weather turns wet and cold.

I have trekking poles but some spots I don't use them due to the brush, and still hunting my way in. I read the shelter can be set-up with just the ridge lines? With the way the ridge lines come off the top peaks, I am not sure if this would stress the seams? I hunt in heavily forested areas and usually string my tarp from trees, and stake down the sides. It would be nice to be able to do the same with the LT to avoid bringing or cutting poles in certain spots.

Has anyone set their LT up with just the ridge tie outs? How was the pitch? I appreciate any pictures.

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ive never pitched it like that . When im hunting while hiking in i strap my walking poles to my pack. I use them with my Mountainsmith and if you kill something strap your weapon on your pack and use the poles for the meat pack out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ID_Matt

WKR
I would think it would be tough to get a good pitch without using some sort of support. We used tree limbs last time in place of trekking poles and they worked just dandy.

OP
F
Thanks, I will try some setups in the yard but am not convinced a ridge line will work. Sounds like trekking poles or cut poles are the way to go.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
I see they don't have exterior hang loops. I have hung a tarp with no hang loop by putting a rock in the top and chocking it with a knot. A guy could pick up 2 foam balls from the craft store that would be a lightweight version. I would think doing this could damage the tarp, so I would want to have someone sew in some loops. I just know you have to be able to reach really high to hang a ridge line without the tarp hanging on the ground. To protect the stitching, you could premake a ridgeline assembly that has the tensioners in place to set it up. You could run a solid ridgeline from the 2 points that has a lineloc in it so you can tension the cordage and reduce the stress on the tarp.