Mountain Lion Caliber

Doing my first cat hunt this winter and wondering what caliber is good that wont do too much hide damage? Don't want to use my bow, so Im down to a lever action, open sites in either 44 rem mag or 30-30.

.22 or other lightweight if you’re hunting with dogs.
One of my most rewarding hunting experiences was filming for a buddy on a hound hunt for bear. Chasing those dogs was one of the most physically exhausting experiences I have ever had. Cutting weight would help.

87TT

WKR
The reason the pros liked the .22 was if you use a higher power gun, it would sometimes knock the cat out of the tree and it would hit the ground with enough fight left to injure the dogs. With a .22, a shot in the lungs would allow the cat to die after the lungs fill up with blood and hit the ground dead.

kiddogy

WKR
I used a .223 45gr hollowpoint on mine from a couple hundred yards out. hit him in spine at base of the neck and he dropped like a two dollar wh@r$.

bullet never even exited so all I had was one tiny lil entrance hole

Anything will kill one pretty easy. It's sounding like most people commenting haven't actually killed one though...
#1. anyone with a brain ties their dogs up before the shot.
#2. 22 shot cats will jump tree. There's no such thing as "knocking the cat out of the tree." They either jump or they don't.
Personally I carry a Glock 40 (10mm). Enough to stop a cat in a bad spot (ledged up or in a hole) but light and handy. Either of your lever guns will work like a charm. Neither will make a big enough hole that a taxidermist won't be able to make it disappear.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Like 87TT and Middleofnowhwere mentioned, my brother and his partner have shot lots of lions over the last 30 years with 22 and had plenty of friends use archery. I used a 357. Treed cats are usually not far away, so just about anything bigger than a BB gun or blow gun should do the job.

nidaho

FNG
We shoot lots of cats I would not use a 22 have heard lots of people do it also heard hoar stories about 22 mag shots gone bad. About anything bigger would work-most are shot with the 30-30 or the 35 Remington we use 22 mag on bobcats. A straight up shot thru the chest into the spine brings them down with front legs crossed and lights out.

npm352

WKR
I highly recommend NOT using a rimfire, even though they are legal in some states and even though they were used regularly with the old time hounddoggers. I have seen enough lions killed over my hounds that I tell my friends that come that I strongly encourage a centerfire rifle....to the point that I frankly tell them I will not let my pack follow up a lion they wound with a pistol or bow...they are on their own. I would not let anyone shoot over my dogs with a rimfire unless it is a bobcat, no exceptions there, and I always tie my dogs up for the shot. Yes, a .22 through both lungs is sufficient...or it may not be and none of my dogs' lives are worth gambling whether or not someone hits rib or shoulder blade resulting in a pissed of wounded cat that may decide to fight rather than climb the next run.

The reason I say rifle is that most guys are not good enough with a pistol and a bow is iffy if the cat is high and can't be jumped out for another run to a different, hopefully lower branch, of another tree. A 30-30 is great...slow caliber and makes for an easy shot that will likely make them dead before they hit the ground.

I have seen quite a few of shots flubbed on lions (bow and pistol) and it has formed my thinking on this. What seems like an easy shot is at a weird angle with howling dogs, a pissed off looking lion, a lot of excitement and more often than not, a few people in the audience.

Also, full disclosure, I am super conservative when it comes to the safety of my pack....pretty much a pansy. I figure if I am sending them off after 160 pound cats I can at least make the shot part as safe for them as possible. I also hunt with usually just 2 dogs. Wound a tom lion that falls into 6 or 10 hounds like some guys use and they will kill it and some will need 7 days of antibiotics. If a mature tom fights 1 or 2 dogs it will likely mean 1 or 2 dead dogs.

npm352

WKR
Archery equipment has plenty of power, but not all treed cats can be shot depending on where they are standing and some stubborn cats cannot be jumped out for another run....throw in a rifle at least as backup if you try with a bow.

FNG
The 30-30 will be perfect. We have all our hunters use a Thompson contender in 243 with a 3x scope. Easy to pack and they're dead before they hit the ground

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I plan to use my grandads old 223. Iv seen wolves killed at 100+ yards with a 223, it will have no problems with a cat in a tree.

I highly recommend NOT using a rimfire, even though they are legal in some states and even though they were used regularly with the old time hounddoggers. I have seen enough lions killed over my hounds that I tell my friends that come that I strongly encourage a centerfire rifle....to the point that I frankly tell them I will not let my pack follow up a lion they wound with a pistol or bow...they are on their own. I would not let anyone shoot over my dogs with a rimfire unless it is a bobcat, no exceptions there, and I always tie my dogs up for the shot. Yes, a .22 through both lungs is sufficient...or it may not be and none of my dogs' lives are worth gambling whether or not someone hits rib or shoulder blade resulting in a pissed of wounded cat that may decide to fight rather than climb the next run.

The reason I say rifle is that most guys are not good enough with a pistol and a bow is iffy if the cat is high and can't be jumped out for another run to a different, hopefully lower branch, of another tree. A 30-30 is great...slow caliber and makes for an easy shot that will likely make them dead before they hit the ground.

I have seen quite a few of shots flubbed on lions (bow and pistol) and it has formed my thinking on this. What seems like an easy shot is at a weird angle with howling dogs, a pissed off looking lion, a lot of excitement and more often than not, a few people in the audience.

Also, full disclosure, I am super conservative when it comes to the safety of my pack....pretty much a pansy. I figure if I am sending them off after 160 pound cats I can at least make the shot part as safe for them as possible. I also hunt with usually just 2 dogs. Wound a tom lion that falls into 6 or 10 hounds like some guys use and they will kill it and some will need 7 days of antibiotics. If a mature tom fights 1 or 2 dogs it will likely mean 1 or 2 dead dogs.
LIKE your way the best !!

gonzaga

FNG
I killed my Tom with my .260 and 139gr scenars. 1 shot was all that was needed.

I have shot a handful with my 44 mag it works great and you don’t have to carry it when your climbing up the mtn . Hands free for slipping and falling

what was told to me was choosing the right bullet. a bullet that will stay together was highly suggested- high wegiht retention bullets. I killed my cat with a 300 win mag with a 180gr barnes tsx. minimal damage to the cape. so a 30-30 with similar constructed bullets will be more than fine.