Mountain Hardwear

Tanner

WKR
I'm going to be putting quite a bit of time in on some rain gear this summer and fall, and I'm looking at some non-hunting/camo companies and options due to the price difference in some of it, and I just don't need camouflage enough to justify it.

Does anybody use Mountain Hardwear's stuff? I'm looking at the Alkane pants and the Super Light Plasmic jacket because they're the lighest offerings (and somehow cheapest, too), but I wonder if they are going to give up durability, too.

I plan on wearing softshells and fleece for most of the time and stashing this rain gear in my pack, if that makes any difference. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Tanner

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
I have some sort of super lightweight MH shell. I like it. Rolls up real small. 16oz bottle size maybe. Rei on sale. I would buy another.

You are going to find the hunting companies prices very competitive to what the big mountain companies charge.

I haven't used those models, but if you are going to be "spending quite a bit of time" in it.... yeah, you are going to seriously sacrifice durability at that weight and price point. You thinking you are going to be using this in the brush, rocks, or trees at all? 15D 2.5L is really, really thin stuff. More trail hiking gear than hunting gear.

MH does make some good stuff, but I'd personally be looking at something a bit more durable than the "Super Light".

Yk

kodiakfly

WKR
I haven't used those models, but if you are going to be "spending quite a bit of time" in it.... yeah, you are going to seriously sacrifice durability at that weight and price point. You thinking you are going to be using this in the brush, rocks, or trees at all? 15D 2.5L is really, really thin stuff. More trail hiking gear than hunting gear.

MH does make some good stuff, but I'd personally be looking at something a bit more durable than the "Super Light".

Yk

Agreed. One thing I kinda hate to see is the "improvement" of GTX and membranes to lighter fabric and fewer layers protecting as well as 5 used to. My favorite GTX was XCR and it's gotten lighter and lighter since then. Ok for fishing, but I like heavier stuff for hunting.

OP
T

Tanner

WKR
YK, which models, if any, of Mountain Hardwear's would you suggest? I'll be spending a few months in a row in it and have no issue with going with heavier stuff for gains in durability.

Thanks,

Tanner

YK, which models, if any, of Mountain Hardwear's would you suggest? I'll be spending a few months in a row in it and have no issue with going with heavier stuff for gains in durability.

Thanks,

Tanner

What exactly do you need it for Tanner? A few months in a row doesn't sound like Colorado...

Yk

Tanner if your looking for durable rain gear take a look at Arc'teryx and their Beta AR jackets. They are top of the line, extremely durable, compressible,long lasting, and well worth the price. They are designed for use while rock/ice climbing so they take abrasion and hard use really well. I've used mine in the Pacific Northwest, the east coast, and backpacking around CO and I'm very satisfied with them.

I bought a Patagonia rain jacket off of Craigslist a few years back and it has held up extremely well for all of my activities so far.

Trr15

WKR
Not familiar with those pieces, but I own a lot of MH stuff (from clothes to tents to sleeping bags) and have absolutely 0 complaints. Top quality gear. I'm sure the articles you mention will be top notch as well.

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
"You are going to find the hunting companies prices very competitive to what the big mountain companies charge."

Full retail? Agreed. But.... why buy full retail? Opportunities for discounted MH (and other "big mountain companies") abound.