Mountain Hardwear Hoopla 4 Longterm Review

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Back On Track

The replacement Hoopla 4 arrived yesterday. Pitched it after dusk and sealed it by headlamp with SilNet. Took my time and really worked the SilNet into the threads and the butt seam. Checked the seam sealing this morning before work and everything looked good. Looks like the Hoopla will make the cut for this weekend.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Don't Go Green!

Don't use Kleen Strip Green Oderless Mineral Spirits to thin SilNet or Silicone. I did a test last night with the above "Green" Mineral Spirits, which is actually milk white. When pored the Kleen Strip Green Mineral Spirits is milk white.

When mixed, with silicone, to normal consistency the resulting mixture is opaque. I tested by applying the mixture to some spare Silicone Nylon. When applied thinly the mixture dries thin and clear. However the if application is thick it remains opaque. Also of concern is the quick setup of the mixture. In a matter of ten minutes the mixture was set to a opaque blob reminiscent of the Better Off Dead dinner scene. http://youtu.be/aeRVB2XP19g

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Destructive Testing?

Wrecking Ball.jpg

The morning after sealing the Hoopla seam and before I could break it down; my 4 year old, 42 pound wrecking ball decided to do some unsolicited testing of the Hoopla. As my wife tells it, she was across the yard in the garden when she saw him running and jumping on the Hoopla. As she proceeded to run towards him while telling him to stop, he managed three more jumps. On the fourth jump the custom Ruta Locura carbon fiber pole slipped from the cone and tore a 1" x 1" L shaped hole.

PatchedHoopla.jpg

I quickly made a call to DJ at Titanium Goat for advice. Arrangements were made for me to stop by Titanium Goat later in the day. DJ graciously welcomed me in and quickly went to work repairing the Hoopla. While waiting for the patches to set up. DJ and I were able to discuss some of the finer points of shelters and stoves. DJ is truly one of the leaders and innovators of the ultra light movement.

I can't thank DJ and Titanium Goat enough for the quick repair.

JG358

WKR
What poles and stakes are you using? How many stakes?

Seam sealed it this weekend and added a couple more stakes incase I want to use a stake at every possible anchor point. Total package is now closer to 4 lbs than 3.

Last edited:

bounds

WKR
Really looking forward to the field test review on this one. I've been heavily considering getting one, but can't decide about going floorless.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
I used the Hoopla last year and the short answer is I like it.

The long answer is that it has some advantages and drawbacks when compared to the GoLite SL3.

Advantages Over SL3
1) I'm 6'2" and it provided a little more room to lay down without touching. Still happens though.
2) Definitely more head room than SL3.
3) Designed to use one trekking pole. I had a custom carbon fiber pole made that I can add pieces to. I use the same pole on my Hoopla, SL3 and SL5.
4) Comes with light weight cord locks and guy lines
5) Built in measurements to get proper pitch.

Disadvantages
1) Cost unless you can pro-form etc... Not as big a deal since GoLite has raised their prices
2) Have to invert fabric to insert hoop. It is kind of a pain but not too bad.
3) No adjusters on stake loops. This makes it harder to pitch and adjust the height for ventilation.
4) Only one vent and the vent is more horizontal so in driving rain you could get water in.

The first time I used the Hoopla in the field we arrived at our campsite after dark and in a moderate rain. Having to turn the Hoopla inside out to insert the hoop in the top of the shelter is a mental drawback to this shelter. If you pitch a SL3 on wet ground the inside will get wet from laying on the ground while being pitched. So either way the inside will get wet. This is the same for a SL5, or BCS too. I would assume that a Megatarp or Supertarp would be the same also. The biggest disadvantage to me of the Hoopla over the SL3 is the lack of adjusters on the stake loops. The adjusters on the SL makes pitching and adjusting for ventilation super easy. I think I will add some small cord and tie a sheet bend to the stake loops to make the pitch on the Hoopla adjustable.

Overall I really like the Hoopla and think it is a solid option to consider for someone looking to go floorless.

Here are some pictures from a hunt last year where we had a SL3, Hoopla, and Hilleberg Akto in camp.

SL3, Hoopla and Akto
SL3-Hoopla-Akto.jpg

SL3 and Hoopla
SL3-Hoopla.jpg

Hoopla
Hoopla.jpg

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Looks like the hoopla would feel much open than sl3. How well do you feel it would fare in high winds and snow ?

The Hoopla is tough last year my then 4 year old hammered it pretty hard by full speed running and jumping on it. If it wasn't for the custom pole not having a convex end and slipping from the pocket it held up to him jumping on it four or more times. I could see the flatter top building up snow if unattended and it becoming a problem though.

As for the wind. I haven't had the Hoopla in really high winds. I think it will do as good if not better than the SL3. I have had the Sl3 in high winds to the point the sides were significantly deflecting in. The Hoopla has a rounder shape and the tie outs are higher on the wall. I think the rigid hoop at the top will help with flapping and overall stabilization. My gut feel is that it will do just fine in wind.

Shrek

WKR
And STP has it for $170 tyd with a 35% off code. Code is UUT98508 , good to midnight 7/25. That code is only good for three orders. First three get a steal then it's dead.

Last edited:
Hello,muleman im new to the forum.I have purchased the hoopla it will arrive tomorrow.So i need to use mcnetts silnet seamseal and apply on the outside of hoop?Thanks in advance.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
I was told directly from Mountain Hardwear that they were going to start to factory seal the only seam that wasn't taped. I kinda doubt they are doing this.

If they haven't done this then yes use SilNet on the outside. There is a butt seam and a stitch through thread right next to each other. These are directly above the trus ring.

Reach out if you have any other questions.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
$168.75 & Free Shipping

STP had a deal flyer keycode valid for today only that will get you the Hoopla 4 for $168.75 and free shipping. TET83318 keycode is only valid for three purchases.