Mountain Goat Counts

IDVortex

WKR
Well, unless everything is filled in by the time I can actually confirm I can go to one, anyone else going and doing any mountain goat counts this year with the RMGA? Trying to convince the wife to go with me, only will be able to make it for one in MT if I can pull it off. Will be the first time doing something like this.

I've done a couple. They've been great with good dudes.
Typically learn a lot, see a lot of gear and put your eye to some optics.
Highly suggest it.

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t done one in a long time. Think the last time I participated was near Yellow Pine behind Stibnite and I didn’t see much of anything alive in there.

Andrew11

Lil-Rokslider
Went on one last year by myself. They partnered me up with another guy.
Had a great time!! I would say if you can make it happen go. You wont regret it.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
Well, as of right now it appears I should be free that weekend, so registered. Be interesting to see this style of country and such.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
1000015669.jpg

First off, I need to start researching for a spotting scope for the backcountry.

I suggest anyone who plans to or wants to hunt goats, go on a count somewhere. Yoy learn alot and help out F&G a lot with the data.

First time ever doing a wildlife volunteer project, very much enjoyed it! Planning on doing another count or 2 next year.

Did learn I sound like a beached whale at 9k in elevation, so i need to get in better shape.

matchu865

FNG
I did one this year for the first time, and would definitely do it again. I was happy that we were able to find goats in an area where the previous year’s surveyors could not. Also learned that I need to do a bit more scrambling to get comfortable up in goat country, it almost felt more like a mountaineering trip than a hike.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
I did one this year for the first time, and would definitely do it again. I was happy that we were able to find goats in an area where the previous year’s surveyors could not. Also learned that I need to do a bit more scrambling to get comfortable up in goat country, it almost felt more like a mountaineering trip than a hike.
Luckily for where we were, it wasn't that bad. Once we got to a ridge line we were set, it was the matter of getting to said ridge line though lol.

Did my own goat survey this weekend.
d5ac756f8ae7a6a4a8fde41249dab658.jpg

c51bbc953816f4aa1477e17b9bc8a191.jpeg

24b7afbe201275c6d707defc300a246f.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FNG
im out looking for a big billy but instead just counted these. 2 nanny’s and a sub adult billy. Good time anyway. IMG_4603.jpeg