Mountain Bike Seats

Shorts take some of the sting out of your back side.
I dont think there is such a thing as a comfortable MTB seat

You also get what you pay for in the chamois in bicycle shorts. Good ones are worth every penny. There's also baggy mtb style shorts with padded inner shorts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A friend recommended WTB as a good value and I found this very helpful when I upgraded. I do feel a better saddle made a huge difference for me, as well as getting some padded shorts like others suggested.

Check out WTB - Wilderness Trail Bikes. They are reasonably priced and MTB specific. The shimano brand ‘Pro’ also has some decent ones. I usually have some pain when I get back onto the bike in the spring but it goes away after a few rides.

Coming from a mountain biker, you don't want a giant padded walmart seat, that will make it worse on extended rides. A good seat isn't determined by lots of padding, its how the seat/rails are designed to ride on your tail bone.
The WTB recomendation from above is good, I also like deity components. I have run both WTB and deity seats and like both of them. Padded shorts do help as well.

A few things to consider:

1) It’s unlikely you’re riding routinely enough to condition your nether regions to not have any saddle soreness when you do ride (similar to people who get saddle sore from riding horses/mules/etc when they don’t ride much or at all)
2) Invest in some good shorts/bibs with a good chamois pad in them. I like pactimo but I understand that’s a hard $$$ pill to swallow. The Black Bibs are good quality and a decent price point.
3) Like mentioned above, padding does not always equal comfort. The width of your sit bones (literally the bones that are in contact with a surface when you sit down) is the main determining factor in which bike saddle you need. Most bike shops have a little gadget you can sit on that will tell you your sit bone width. I’d say most likely you’re needing a saddle in the 155mm range. Specialized, WTB, Deity, Fizik, Selle are all good brands. WTB would probably be my go to for a MTB specific saddle out of those.

2QUkewo.png

A few things to consider:

1) It’s unlikely you’re riding routinely enough to condition your nether regions to not have any saddle soreness when you do ride (similar to people who get saddle sore from riding horses/mules/etc when they don’t ride much or at all)
2) Invest in some good shorts/bibs with a good chamois pad in them. I like pactimo but I understand that’s a hard $$$ pill to swallow. The Black Bibs are good quality and a decent price point.
3) Like mentioned above, padding does not always equal comfort. The width of your sit bones (literally the bones that are in contact with a surface when you sit down) is the main determining factor in which bike saddle you need. Most bike shops have a little gadget you can sit on that will tell you your sit bone width. I’d say most likely you’re needing a saddle in the 155mm range. Specialized, WTB, Deity, Fizik, Selle are all good brands. WTB would probably be my go to for a MTB specific saddle out of those.
Good advice on getting the sit bones measured. You can have the best seat in the world, but if it's the wrong width it's going to be uncomfortable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Biking more is the best thing for your issue. Standing on the downhills helps when mountain biking. Padded shorts and sit bone fit helps when road biking. A worn-in slung leather saddle is great for long rides where weight isn't an issue.

Fizik Gobi XM on my cross country bike. I find the narrow, round shape to be really comfortable. Fabric Scoop Radius on my gravel rig. It's comfortable, but doesn't fit me quite as well. That said, most MFGs will have a variety of shapes and sizes. Find something that fits you. As far as shorts, I've tried a few brands and Neopro gets my vote for comfy, but not overly expensive.

Back