Moultrie Mobile's 2024 release: The Edge Pro2-–review in progress

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This is my 3rd season running the Edge series, starting with their first Edge: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/moultrie-mobile-edge-trail-camera-review.283316/

Their Edge Pro:

And now the Edge 2 Pro...which I'll cover on this thread

Each Gen adds features/upgrades that have improved these:

1) Image Quality/Trigger speeed

2) Filtering

3) Smart Tags

4) Battery Life

I'll jump into each one.

Image Quality

the original Edge was a 33MP/720p

the Edge Pro jumped to 36MP/1080p

and now the Edge 2 Pro is 40MP/1440p

I put my Edge 2 Pro in the field mid July, it's in a heavy feeding area. Based on previous years, I get at least does and fawns every few days and seems like a bach herd of bucks comes throught about twice per summer.

The images first come through at a standard quality which is good enough to see what you're looking at and saves some battery. This image is standard:

IMG_8877.jpeg

Then if you wanna take a better look, you can request an HD (full 40MP) image. It'll come through on the cams next scheduled upload (in my case, every 12-24 hours). This is an HD Image:

IMG_8876.jpeg

This also is an HD image:

IMG_8878.jpeg

a nice feature to really study a buck, but not game changing.

I have not shot a lot of video because these cameras are very hard to access and might end up staying in the field overwinter, so I'm always conserving battery. The videos I've received have been of good quality, and include sound. I'd load some but they just give too much away. Sorry. But I can say you can trust the video quality. What I do is wait until I start getting pics of bucks in the area, set my cam to upload every 3 hours and switch to video. Seems like the bucks are there a day or two (not always) and I usually end up with a video. Like the HD photos, the videos are not uploaded automatically (that burns battery) but rather you see a thumbnail and can request a video on next upload. That's why I set it to 3 hours so I don't have to wait. Once activity drops, I go back to 12-24 hours. I'll cover more on that when I get to battery life post. But the image quality checks the box

Trigger Speed:

Each Gen has decreased trigger speed starting at 0.65 sec, to 0.40 sec, to now 0.3 sec.

While you really never know what you're missing, I see lots of noses and birds at edge of images, so I can say I'm happy with (really) all of them. But peace of mind knowing that the 0.3 sec in the Edge 2 Pro is less than half the original Edge.

More on the other upgrades later.

Last edited: