Motorcycle Hunting

Rich M

WKR
We had 2 Rokons - those things are tanks.

I'd rather ride a quad tho'.

These days a battery powered motor bike w trailer would be desirable - not the battery part, the really quiet part.

Elite

WKR
I am curious if anyone else has tried this type of hunting out? I will be buying a dual sport to commute to work and thinking of utilizing it to explore/scout new hunting areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a TW200. I mostly like it. I wish it had a little more guts.

Overall I think the tradeoff between a bike and ATV is this: 1) the bike is cheaper, and it'll get you some places the ATV can't, like dedicated single track trails. 2) the ATV is more expensive, and it's a little safer than the dirt bike, better in poor weather, and it handles creek crossings way better than a dirt bike.

RONDO264

FNG
I used a TTR-230 last year to head up some single track. Worked great, bike had plenty of even power going up some steep country and handled well and I'm a pretty big guy (6' 4" 250lbs). Would definitely come in handy on trails open to two wheels but closed to 4.

check out the Christini hybrid 4 wheeler and cycle....the cycle is very much like a rokon...only way better. The cycle is big tire, awd 2 wheel drive and 100+ miles on the battery/genset, 5000W mid-drive motor, even getting power from it in the backcountry if you need it. 3 drive modes and traction control....including a creeper gear. 4 hour recharge in a 120v outlet....and remember, it also generates it's own power so no running out of juice. I spoke to the owner of the company in person. He is making an electric/gasoline engine version hybrid cycle for a Navy contract at the moment but they will be available to the public at some point too. They are a little bit larger than the electric cycle but badass. that 4 wheeler is pretty nice too...200+ miles on a full charge.

snik

FNG
My buddy and I have been riding TW 200's for about 10 years now. Slap on a higher tooth sprocket on the rear, and that thing will crawl up anything. The Wasatch Range is our stomping ground, so we spend a lot of time hunting there. It's incredible the places we've managed to reach on our TW's.

This year, during our hunting trip in Colorado, we conquered a peak that many avid single-track riders consider a very technical trail to the top. When we reached the summit, we encountered a group on KTMs. You should've seen their faces when we rolled up wearing ball caps, hiking boots, and carrying all our gear on our backs. It seemed to take the wind out of their sails a little.

A few people here in Hawaii use these Ubco hunting edition electric motorcycles. We don’t have big game here so easy to ride out with a pig, goat or axis deer on one of these. I’m really thinking about getting one.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpeg
    IMG_0301.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 24

crich

WKR
Ran into a guy and his 4 kids on the Steese a few years ago caribou hunting. He was in the lead with an Argo and his 4 littles were in line behind him each on their own mini bike. I think that was more for fun than function but looked cool.

Elite

WKR
KLX, KLR. Hunting stuff in backpack, bike and camp stuff on bike. ( Kawasaki Kyle, backcountry style.)

I’m curious how you get the whole animal back home or are you loading bikes up in a truck?

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
I’m curious how you get the whole animal back home or are you loading bikes up in a truck?

I live where I hunt and my bike loads on a cheap carrier on the back of my redneck action van,(in avatar), it is also dual sport so either option is available. If the animal is an elk, that's multiple trips unless you're GS guy with a trailer. Note. Riding in traffic with elk antlers on your pack will damn near stop traffic from rubberneckers.

LFC911

WKR
I borrowed UTV in 2022 for elk hunting and bought a TW200 for 2023. For me the best of both worlds is an ATV, which I've had in the past. I could of re-geared the TW but hauling me (~250#) plus a full pack and weapon was all that little engine could do up a steep grade. To me a big bore ATV with racks is a safer way to do it at 55 going on 56 lol.
UTV.JPG
TW200.JPG

Matt5266

WKR
View attachment 675784
View attachment 675785View attachment 675786
View attachment 675791
View attachment 675792

This past year was my first dedicated to getting in & out on my T-Dub. There were a few teething issues (mostly related to steep, muddy hills here in TN. Now resolved with an ATV tire on the back end) but I found absolutely no penalties over my friends on 4-wheelers or UTVs.
How did you mount the rifle case? Been looking at options but havnt seen anything great. I have a cycle racks rack on mine with a 65 tooth sprocket.

Attachments

• 20230922_182449.jpg
    20230922_182449.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 19