Most fun bird to hunt?

I like duck and turkey hunting, but that's partially because I don't have a dog for upland. It's doable without a dog, but you'll be a lot more successful with a dog. And hunting with a dog is a big part of the fun in my opinion

OMB

WKR
North east, New England region
I don't know what pressure it like out there, but New England is *classic* ruffed grouse hunting, to the point I want to head out there for a week someday. A lot of times it's totally type 2 fun, and there's a steep learning curve, but in your part of the world it's probably the best play.

Hire a guide in Maine/Vermont/NH for a few days of hunting before you jump in with both feet. You'll know afterwards whether you absolutely hate it, or it's the only kind of upland hunting you ever want to do again. I've been able to see a lot of different bird hunting around the continent, and there's nothing that tops a really great day in late October hunting grouse and woodcock behind a pointing dog.

OP
F
Shotguns are extremely versatile. A good 12 gauge will allow you to hunt every species of bird. Then you can find out what you find is you’re favorite. Love bird hunting, but find myself doing quail, turkey, and waterfowl the most. If you don’t like sitting, quail is probably your best bet. Buy a good 3” chamber auto loader 12 gauge to start and you’re set for life if you so choose.
I have a couple of 12’s but don’t particularly care for them, I can handle the recoil fine but I’d rather not lug it around, for example my father went on a moose hunt this past year and at the same time I believe it was quail season, he wished he had a .410 with him so he could have done a little bit of double dipping

Macintosh

WKR
Are you looking for a vacation to try it out, or are you looking for a local-ish thing to do more frequently? On your own, or with a guide? Having trouble wrapping my head around what you are looking for and why equipment cost is the deciding factor. Most (nearly all?) “bird hunting” (to me, waterfowl and turkey hunting isnt called “bird hunting” and you already said you dont want to sit in one place) is different flavors of the same thing and really doesnt take different gear, just put different shells in your gun. If you dont like lugging your 12ga around, get any 6-7lb 20/16/12ga shotgun and you can hunt any game bird in north america. Including turkeys and waterfowl.
Your wife will love the new dog, though! :)

Last edited:

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know the geography where you live, but you're missing out on chasing the Eastern's in the Spring. Throw on a pair of boots and go chase one. Obviously, it matters if there is enough land to do it on.

It's fun/funny for me to read a thread like this and see all the diverse opinions, because in my head there is a factual "most fun bird to hunt," and it is beyond debate or opinion. I guess I could be more open minded. :)

t_carlson

WKR
GOOD waterfowl hunting is probably the most fun thing....ever.

That said, it is a huge investment to get set up.

Dog, gun, shotgun shells and you are ready for pheasant. They are probably the next most fun.

KurtR

WKR
Pheasant is easy just drive down the road and shoot them in the ditch in the evening. Even easier after it snows a little.

Roosters exploding out of low cover is pure adrenaline.
Beautiful birds that make you work for it.
Covey birds are fun to shoot but the sound of a mature rooster is unlike any other.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Roosters exploding out of low cover is pure adrenaline.
Beautiful birds that make you work for it.
Covey birds are fun to shoot but the sound of a mature rooster is unlike any other.
I don't k now about that. I was on my way back to my truck and a big Tom turkey flushed about five feet in front of me, instant code brown.

WKR
I've enjoyed pheasant and bobwhite hunts a lot the last few years with my dogs. Hoping to travel north for some different species this year. I'd have to say pheasants are my favorite. If I was in the NE I guess I'd have to learn more about grouse and woodcock.

Waterfowl is a lot of hard work but have done it enough to appreciate wings set and a flock of mallards dropping in. Really nice when you find a good spot.

I'm a full blown ptarmigan addict. Depending on the day and the species, they will act like any other given species of upland bird out there. They live in stunningly beautiful country. Hunting them in August is significantly different than how they are in September/October, and completely alien to how they are and act in November-March, which yet again gets mixed up in April. You want a challenging wingshooting experience and tricky dog work? Come play with whitetailed ptarmigan in January. Pure white bird that likes to bury itself in the snow, and when it flies it flies low dodging around cover (that is also all white) and the light is either disorienting in how flat it is or it is clear skies and blinding. The long seasons, liberal bag limits, and healthy numbers all play into it as well.

Plus, the bastards laugh at you and give you reasons to hold a grudge.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
North east, New England region
Not my favorite bird to hunt, but still fun, is grouse. You're in NE, I'd be chasing them all over the place if I lived up there.

#1 for me will always be mallards in green timber, followed closely by wild quail over my own dogs.

Quail is my go to, but ducks out of a good blind or specks/snows in a dry field is always a good time if you’re not feeling like hiking. Ducks and geese is a big investment though.

duckhuntr

FNG
Waterfowl is hard to beat. Namely because you can call and work birds rather than just stalking. Having a good dog makes it even more enjoyable. Nothing against upland hunting, I still enjoy it too though.

taskswap

WKR
Dusky Grouse for me. I know they're smaller birds with a smaller bag limit, but Colorado is just stunning during grouse season so it's a perfect excuse to get out on hikes and scouting trips. You need basically no equipment, wear whatever's comfortable, and you can easily day-trip it - I usually hunt 10-2 while they're down eating bugs and almost always limit out.

To me, big game and geese/ducks are all-day (sometimes multi-day) and expensive commitments. I like having something relaxed to balance it out.