Most expensive thing you lost while hunting

Haha of course. We drove it from the east coast to SD for a mule deer hunt and on the last evening of the hunt while me and my one hunting buddy were sitting over a bedded buck waiting for him to stand up to try and get a shot our other buddy was driving the rental truck around some questionable access roads, more like old Atv and side by side trails that the farmers used haha. Long story short he ended up slicing the sidewall of the tire up in probably the worst spot you could have to try and change a tire and without any off road jacks he somehow managed to get it changed without it sliding off a ledge. The funny/lucky part is that I don’t think rental vehicles are even supposed to have spare tires in them. I have been told by a friend that worked a a big rental company if you get a flat they want you to call and use their affiliated tow service probably for liability reasons, but luckily, the spare tire was on there. We swapped them, drove it back across the country and pulled it into the rental place, and they never said a word about the mismatched tire haha

Lesson learned from our first trip out west. when hunting in remote areas bring everything you could possibly need to get you out of the situation. The truck has a lot more tools in it these days.

Cuz who needs a quad or side by side when u have a rental!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Loosing my mind is about the most expensive thing. I know it happens after being alone in archery season for so long I start talking to nearby squirrels. Bull better bugle soon after that or I'm doomed.

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
I lost my wedding ring dragging out a buck last year. Had no idea it was gone until the drive home when I looked down to see it gone.

Lost my wedding band while gutting a whitetail bout 10yrs ago. It was buried in snow and leaf litter. Wife ordered a metal detector that night and I found the ring later that week.

Loaned that metal detector out half dozen times since then to fellas who lost their rings (not hunting). Thing has paid for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This wasn’t hunting… But I left my Magnetospeed lay on the shooting bench one day… I wasnt’ even gone 15 minutes when I discovered it was missing.. But till I got back, the magneetospeed and the only other person that had been there was gone.

First marriage, that’s okay because when given the ultimatum I killed the biggest bull of my life the next morning. The second marriage is going much better.

One elk lost with a muzzleloader, haven’t shot one since.

Couple rangefinders, releases, a bipod, quiver of arrows. Safe to say I carry plenty of back ups now a days.

This wasn’t hunting… But I left my Magnetospeed lay on the shooting bench one day… I wasnt’ even gone 15 minutes when I discovered it was missing.. But till I got back, the magneetospeed and the only other person that had been there was gone.
I did the same thing with a backpack full of ammo. I didn't notice it for hours. It was already posted on the classifieds. Got it back the next morning.I had just moved out of Ca and lost everything in a fire shortly after moving, I felt like the world's most unfortunate fool.

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
I was setting up for Cold Bore Challenge shot 1 tonight and went for my Outdoorsman's bino adapter for the tripod which resides in the call pouch of my bino harness and alas it was not there.

I have been meaning to drill a hole in it for a proper lanyard for a while...

I guess I'll be drilling a hole in the new one.

TheGDog

WKR
Got to thinking about this question... and I guess... the most expensive thing I've lost while out hunting would have to be the use/function of my Left Wrist!

Day after Christmas 2015 with a bear tag in my pocket, crossing a creek on back of stones. Boot INSTANTLY slipped off that last stone the moment I tried to commit my weight to it! So from the forward momentum I kept on falling towards opposite bank... which just-so-happened to have an embedded stone that stuck out a lil bit.

Upon falling... the distal tip of my Radius bone musta smacked onto the Apex of that rock sticking out, as the distal head of the radius shattered into something like 3 or 4 "petals".

IMMEDIATELY "OW!.....OW!......OW!........OW!!!......

And them you realize that lever-action in your hands just became totally useless!

Then I had the horrific realization that on the return 4 mile trip outta there... I was gonna have to cross all the multitude of creek crossing going into this place, on the way out.

So thinking about the problem, I realize I'm UBER SCREWED if I were to fall AGAIN!... So I tell myself if I have to? To just slowly cross THROUGH the water if I feel it's too sketchy to do so across rocks/debris.

Had 1 bobble that got my pulse up, but that was about it. Was able to go back as per normal, but whenever some of the smaller rocks tetered... whoo boy!

Then... got to the truck... had to sloooooowly and carefully take off gear.

Drive myself down outta hills to get reception. Thought about seeking care near there, but then reasoneded if they gave me anything to numb me while setting it, my fam would be hostage waiting for me to be able to have substance wear off so I can drive the vehicle back home.

So.. stuck it out and drove all the 605 back home and part of the 405 Fwy.

When I got down to bottom of mtn and cell service, called Mama, let her know what happened, asked her to search for a place we'd go to once I arrived back home.
12-27-2015 2-56-24 PM.jpgWP_20151227_004.jpgWP_20160105_001.jpg

Last edited:

young7.3

WKR
- A hunting friend laid his late fathers rifle against a tree in Idaho hunting elk. It was gone the next day.
- My father laid his brand new PSE Carbon bow beside the truck in the weeds during an archery elk hunt in Idaho. We drove about an hour and realized it wasn't in the truck. Drove the hour back and it was gone.
- I put a trail camera out somewhere and don't remember where.
- My dad 'lost' a 2007 F350 Powerstroke on our way to Wyoming one year. The turbo blew in Cheyenne, conveniently next to a Ford dealership. They estimated 7 days to get a turbo. He bought a new 2022 Powerstroke and we continued on. He had been talking about a getting a new truck, so it worked out.

samsut93

FNG
I've been fortunate not loose anything of major value yet, lost a knife and a light or two but that's it. I did leave my bow laying where I gutted a doe last year. Completely forgot it and walked off. Luckily it was on private and a quick retrieve the next morning

TheGDog

WKR
I've been fortunate not loose anything of major value yet, lost a knife and a light or two but that's it. I did leave my bow laying where I gutted a doe last year. Completely forgot it and walked off. Luckily it was on private and a quick retrieve the next morning
Oh Wow!! That"Horror Jolt" when you realize something of significant value got left somewhere. Misplaced a LRF, that burned! And a BOA-closure release I really liked.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
I lost a shot gun once. Remington 870. returned to the truck after a grouse hunt and leaned it against a gate post. took 15 minutes or so to water the dog and stow my gear, and then just drove away. Quickly realized id forgot it and returned 20 minutes later, it was gone. Heavily used public land gate. I reported it but have never heard a thing since. That was probably 30 years ago now.