Most expensive thing you lost while hunting

Lost my silverback release this year. Luckily I lost it after the bull was dead, must have put it in my pocket while field dressing and it fell out. Other than that I lost a bugle tube in the backcountry once, I was solo hunting and would have paid 500$ for a new one at the time. Cut the bottom out of my 1.5l smart water bottle, which was less than ideal. Now I cover the thing in pink tape.

270quest

WKR
My Rino 650 fell out of my backpack after shooting a buck and dragging it 600 yards down to a road - looked in the area for 2 days never found it....

Koyote

FNG
Most recently, Alaska took my beloved Benchmade pocket knife somewhere in an Alder thicket

bmrfish

WKR
My Rino 650 fell out of my backpack after shooting a buck and dragging it 600 yards down to a road - looked in the area for 2 days never found it....

I have now lost not one but two garmin rhinos. One on Wyoming antelope hunt and one on Alaska moose. Featureless sage flat and tundra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunt1up

WKR
While antelope hunting I hopped out of the truck to take a leak. Unhooked my belt, peed, and went about my business. Problem is, the beautiful Benchmade 201 Activator in its sheath had slipped off my belt when I unhooked it. I went back and never did find where exactly I'd parked and never found the knife.

Was issued an original Benchmade Presidio in 2004 before deploying to Iraq. Had it clipped to the outside of my waders last year duck hunting. It must have fallen out in the parking lot while changing out of my waders. What a drag!

mi650

WKR
I can't say I've lost anything like some of these stories.

I misplaced a grunt tube in the woods on my grandparents farm once. Found it 2 years later, still have it, still works. When I was a kid, my uncle was stationed at Wurtsmith AFB in Oscoda, and I'd spend a week or 2 there in the summers. I lost a cheap diving mask in Van Etten Lake. I stepped on it the next summer. It was green & slimy, but cleaned up nice.

I've had 2 WY General elk tags and have left 2 bugle tubes on the same damn mountain.

Not sure on value, but I'm pretty sure I've lost every right handed glove I've ever owned.
Can relate! I love the sitka mountain gloves with windstopper they aren't too hot but tough, cut the wind, and you can wear them when actively hunting when it's cold AF. About $100 for a pair. Well i've got 4 left hands gloves and one right hand glove left now.

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
Brand new $560 S&W pocket.38 revolver 😭 had to use it to dispatch a wounded buck, and in the heat of the moment placed it on the ground somewhere in the sagebrush and never found it after. Still makes me sick to think about!

Lost my brand new inreach mini on the first day hunting Kodiak last week. I know where I lost it but its so thick and steep its gone forever. Hopefully the bear that finds it doesn't chomp down on the s.o.s button first.

bmrfish

WKR
I've had 2 WY General elk tags and have left 2 bugle tubes on the same damn mountain.

Can relate! I love the sitka mountain gloves with windstopper they aren't too hot but tough, cut the wind, and you can wear them when actively hunting when it's cold AF. About $100 for a pair. Well i've got 4 left hands gloves and one right hand glove left now.

I have a whole drawer full of left handed gloves. Need to find a left hand hunter and even up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcr-85

WKR
I lost a Phelps tube with a 2wt fly rod stuffed in it this week on my way in to elk camp. I looked for it on the way out but never found it. I was bummed. I camped by beaver ponds that were full of hungry fish.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

A month old pair of Steiner binoculars that I set down and forgot about until a day later.

Last edited:

sram9102

WKR
Second trip to Idaho, my partner took a spill and had his eye basically swell shut. He got a room in Ketchum for the last couple days and drove me out to our second place to hunt. Hunted two days and walked a ridge out midday to the next access point, and he came and got me. We get back into WY, and I have this gut feeling I left my suppressor laying on top of his tonneau cover where the bed meets the cab. We get stopped for gas, and I get damn near everything out of the truck cab bed and all. Thankfully, I had slid it into the read door compartment. Felt like an idiot for a while, but crisis averted.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Second trip to Idaho, my partner took a spill and had his eye basically swell shut. He got a room in Ketchum for the last couple days and drove me out to our second place to hunt. Hunted two days and walked a ridge out midday to the next access point, and he came and got me. We get back into WY, and I have this gut feeling I left my suppressor laying on top of his tonneau cover where the bed meets the cab. We get stopped for gas, and I get damn near everything out of the truck cab bed and all. Thankfully, I had slid it into the read door compartment. Felt like an idiot for a while, but crisis averted.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Holy cow! That'd make my teeth sweat thinking about the gubmint paperwork that would be involved if I lost one of those things. :oops:

Scottyboy

WKR
Bull elk in the gila about 15 years ago. Was my “trip of a lifetime” <at the time> to get the tag and made a piss poor (rushed, on my end) shot on a 6x6 bull. Never found him. I was too wound up that my dream 6x6 bull was 75 yds in front of me, thinking of the pictures, the mount all the everything that wasn’t important but I guess was to me at the time. I haven’t shot a muzzleloader since

Rotnguns

FNG
I lost my shotgun in a river while duck hunting. I was floating in my kayak when I leaned over to get under an overhanging branch and flipped the yak. Really sucked because it was my grandpas old gun that I got when he passed.
I met someone a few years back who lost his shotgun while duck hunting in the Snake River. He didn't go into details, only to say that the boat didn't capsize, thank goodness.