most durable merino?

sk1

WKR
hey guys, just curious from your experience who you think sells the most durable merino out there? I know it seems like somewhat of a stupid question as to a certain extent merino is merino. This year I ran some kuiu, core4, and first lite. I really felt like my first lite tops held up so much better than the kuiu stuff, in fact my 185 kuiu merino won't see much if any of next season....am thinking about switching to first lite in max1 camo for my tops as I had their short sleeve shirt and that seems to be holding up great. My core4 boxers held up great, and my core4 base layer pants not so much, have a big hole in them already not sure how it got there. my kuiu 185 top also has a hole in it, granted merino can be pretty fragile at times and could happen to any brand.

what's your vote for the most durable merino? please list what ones you've used and if you strongly feel one was more durable for you or not

thanks!

Bighub1

Lil-Rokslider
I have both core4 and first lite. I think both work great, but am partial to first lite. Don't know why, but that is what I go to. Their canab pants are perfect and the boxers are the most comfortable underwear I own. If I could afford $50 shorts I would have 10 pair for everyday.

Craig4791

WKR
Only merino I have wore is KUIU but I will say that my 230 is a lot more durable than my 185. Used my 230 in AZ this week and anybody that has ever hunted desert terrain knows that every bush has some sort of Thorn on it. The 230 held up well even after snagging it countless times.

ckleeves

WKR
I like most all Kuiu stuff, but their merino isn't the most durable IMO. First lite seems better, and if your not looking for camo Icebreaker is real durable and very comfortable.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
im pretty set on going with first lite for next season, at least for my shirts....just wanted to see if anyone had anything else they liked better first

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have First Lite and Kuiu. First lite has had more use and holds up better for me. Plus my 185 Kuiu that is in Vias starts to stink quickly and none of the others do.

+1 for me on Icebreaker merino wool. It's not camo but since I started useing it two years ago I won't ever go back to any other material for a base layer, even in summer. Merino wool is awesome. I have some First Lite but the shirts I have are Icebreaker and I don't see them wearing out anytime soon.

bbrown

WKR
First Lite for me too!!! And if you do have any problems they warranty department seems to handle things as quickly as possible.

my redram t shirt has seen ALOT of use and is still going but does have some small holes starting, so far so god with the kuiu 185 but it didnt get worn as much due to the warm weather this year

westside elkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
This was my first hunting season wearing merino wool. I bought a firtst lite top and kuiu 185 and 250 tops. I used the 185 the most and used the kuiu 250 and first lite when the temps dropped below freezing. So i have no real favortism between both yet. Just getting in to using merino wool . Both are great outfits

2rocky

WKR
I just got a First lite Chama top and it felt more durable (thicker and tighter knit)than my Smartwool shirt. Looking forweard to getting it sweaty sometime soon.

This was my first year in merino and I used KUIU 185. I like hunting in it but it got tore a part so quickly. I had the zip tee then the crew and both got a lot of little holes and runs in them. Also the neck stretched out so much that I hate the look of it now, but it seems the new "china made" version has a better neck and cut (thats all off topic here). Back to durability... I was dissapointed how quikcly I ripped up the pricey KUIU 185 top. I want to try a first lite solid.

Ozz08

WKR
I've used the same two first lite merino crew tops for the last two years and they have held up great. I've worn them as pretty much my only layer for all my backpack hunts and scouting trips here in CA. As well as my only layer for early season waterfowl and my base layer for the rest of waterfowl season. I've snagged and rubbed these tops on all kinds of crap and both shirts still look and feel the same as they did after the first washing. I also have some smart wool tops that have seen close to as much use and they have held up well too. I recently received a kuiu 185 top and a 230 top and I could tell right away that I probably won't be using the 185 as a stand alone shirt but it is nice and I'm sure will work great as a base layer under the 230 merino/poly blend shirt.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I bought the Smartwool boxers this year and they have not held up. I already have a hole starting where my legs rub. I'm very disapointed with them.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have first lite and icebreaker. IB is probably a little finer weave and is very nice but the sizing on their tight fitting stuff is way off. I order about two sizes too big.

Been wearing merino for years but have only used Smartwool so I can't compare it to anything else. Anybody have input with Smartwool vs. the other brands??
I'm curious if I should be trying anything else? My brother bought me a KUIU top this year, so I'll know about that soon.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have First Lite, Kuiu, Redram, Smart wool, Minus 33, and Ibex. IMO First Lite seems to be very durable and by far the softest.