most durable merino?

Wrongside

WKR
I've used KUIU, Smartwool, Mountain Equipment and....... COSTCO! For me, none of them last like a good synthetic, or even a cheap poly, for that matter. I can't stand certain things about poly for a base though, so, I'll probably keep grabbing the Canadian made COSTCO merino for $20.00 a piece. Great value, IME... :)

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used KUIU, Smartwool, Mountain Equipment and....... COSTCO! For me, none of them last like a good synthetic, or even a cheap poly, for that matter. I can't stand certain things about poly for a base though, so, I'll probably keep grabbing the Canadian made COSTCO merino for $20.00 a piece. Great value, IME... :)

Are you finding 100% merino clothing at Costco? I have only seen merino blend base layers at our Costco, and on closer inspection the ones I saw were a combo of less than half merino, the rest synthetic blend....I was worried that set up would negate the benefits of merino...

Wrongside

WKR
Are you finding 100% merino clothing at Costco? I have only seen merino blend base layers at our Costco, and on closer inspection the ones I saw were a combo of less than half merino, the rest synthetic blend....I was worried that set up would negate the benefits of merino...

The local stores had the blend you mentioned and, later, the 100% merino. I only bought a couple of shirts to try out, (so far so good) and now kinda wish I'd stocked up as they no longer have it...:)

I wasn't too keen on the blend either, for the same reason as you. I really hope they bring back the pure merino again next winter. At $20, I'll grab a bunch...

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
The local stores had the blend you mentioned and, later, the 100% merino. I only bought a couple of shirts to try out, (so far so good) and now kinda wish I'd stocked up as they no longer have it...:)

I wasn't too keen on the blend either, for the same reason as you. I really hope they bring back the pure merino again next winter. At $20, I'll grab a bunch...

I will keep my eyes out for 100% merino at Costco... Sometimes seems we don't get the same selection as those of you in other places, but if I can ever find some I will buy a bunch. Thanks for the heads up!

Wrongside

WKR
I will keep my eyes out for 100% merino at Costco... Sometimes seems we don't get the same selection as those of you in other places, but if I can ever find some I will buy a bunch. Thanks for the heads up!
No problem! Hope it turns up at a COSTCO near you guys soon!

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Smartwool merino wool base layers have worked great for me and I see no reason to change. It seems that there are a number of shops on the web where you can find them on sale.

Woodsboss

FNG
Each brand has their individual attributes. I have three Kuiu tops, a couple of Icebreaker and one Smartwool. I think the breaking point is the % merino. For example my 230 Kuiu top is only 48% merino but I have the branded long sleeve that's 100% merino and don't see that wearing as well. Without a question the % merino is going to determine longevity of the garment. At any rate it is a million times better than any of my poly stuff.

JP100

WKR
Each brand has their individual attributes. I have three Kuiu tops, a couple of Icebreaker and one Smartwool. I think the breaking point is the % merino. For example my 230 Kuiu top is only 48% merino but I have the branded long sleeve that's 100% merino and don't see that wearing as well. Without a question the % merino is going to determine longevity of the garment. At any rate it is a million times better than any of my poly stuff.

I have been wearing merino before it was popular(grew up on merino farm in NZ). I have used ice breaker,smart wool,earth sea sky and a few other small NZ companies.
Found ice breaker to be not as durable as it used be since they moved to china(bastards! haha)
smart wool and earth sea sky seem to very good and durable. I have been wearing long sleeve earth sea sky tops at work every day for last 6 months and they are really good. no wear as such.

Very interested where does the merino come from for these brands(kuiu,first light,ibex ect)??
Are these american brands im guessing that import fabric or yarn from NZ or Australia?
or merino wool from the USA??

littlebuf

Banned
i had the same pair of filson bottoms for about three years. last year was it, they finally gave it up. replaced them with another pair. little pricey but really no more than the other leading brands and very high quality merino wool

kamcgraw

Lil-Rokslider
I've used First Lite, Minus 33, and Smartwool. First Lite is the softest and most durable in my opinion. But I will continue to use the Minus 33 boxer briefs because you can't beat the price that I've found them at the last couple years.

I've used First Lite, Minus 33, and Smartwool. First Lite is the softest and most durable in my opinion. But I will continue to use the Minus 33 boxer briefs because you can't beat the price that I've found them at the last couple years.
I got the "first lite" long sleeve 1/4 zip T, forget what its called, After 2 seasons, its falling apart. Hopefully, this isn't the norm for merino wool.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got the "first lite" long sleeve 1/4 zip T, forget what its called, After 2 seasons, its falling apart. Hopefully, this isn't the norm for merino wool.
Is it all tore up or is it failing at the seams? Also, what type of terrain were you using it in?

Is it all tore up or is it failing at the seams? Also, what type of terrain were you using it in?
The sleeves are separating @ the seams @ the thumbholes. Terrain was relatively easy here in the south sierra, I didn't do any climbing or stressing the sleeves in any unusual way. I did wear the shirt while hiking in 5 miles with trekking poles.

the kryptek merino is what i have been wearing since it came out. its my favorite fitting and lasting. its been through the nw wa jungle and everything it has to offer, blackberries, stickers, alders, devils clubs etc....... i have been very surprised it has not been shredded by any foliage i pass through. feels smooth as a prom queens thighs....... the kuiu bottoms fit slightly better in the waist for me same size though for whatever reason. i wear the grey kryptek set when skiing now. best layer for me yet when traveling in the mountains.

BPB

FNG
I have smart wool, first lite, Kuiu and minus 33. They all seem pretty good. I tend to like the smart wool stuff the best. However I just came back from 3 days of navigating and ripping my way through forests of cat claw in AZ and wore both Kuiu 185 and 250 as my outer layer. I was amazed at how well they held up to the cat claw, very little damage.