More Vertical Wall Tipi

I've done a search on this subject but I didn't find anything recent.

I'd like a more vertical wall tipi by using a horizontal hoop mid way up. Sort of 'yurt' shape. The hoop would be collapsable aluminum like a tent pole and it would press the wall outward like a flexed tent pole elevates a tent. This would effectively raise the ceiling height several feet with only a small increase in material, although with more panels and seams.

Here's an example, but looking for something much lighter weight.

Has anyone built such a yurt-shaped tipi? I suppose another way to build it would be to use a smaller tipi and sew vertical walls along the original bottom. The obvious downside is stability in the wind and it would take a very wide foot print of lines and stakes to pull at the same slope at the upper slope.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I was thinking of building a base floor for my tipi on my leased island with 3’ insulated walls. I would need to have a 3’ lift of some kind so the bottom of the main pole would be the same height as the walls. Thinking this would allow me to use the full 18’ base of the tipi.
Doing a material takeoff and planning this winter for spring construction so I won’t really know till next fall how it works out.