Moose attacks bow hunter (Colorado)

3forks

WKR
Whenever I hear about things like this, I wonder if the person was a member of this forum.

Moose attacks hunter after he tries to shoot it with arrow​

Rescuers with the Larimer County Sheriff's Office said the hunter tried to shoot a moose with an arrow, missed and was attacked by the animal.

Author: Melissa Reeves (9NEWS)
Published: 7:53 PM MDT September 13, 2022
Updated: 8:06 PM MDT September 13, 2022

LARIMER COUNTY, Colo. — A bowhunter was airlifted out of a remote area of Larimer County Tuesday after he tried to shoot a moose with an arrow, but instead was attacked and injured by the animal, the Larimer County Sheriff's Office (LCSO) said.
Rescuers detected a distress alert from the hunter's GPS, the sheriff's office said. The signal came from a remote area off Long Draw Road and Highway 14 in the Poudre Canyon area, LCSO said.

The call came in just before noon. Sheriff's office spokesperson Jenevieve Kramer said the rescue team response was escalated when they heard a hunter had made contact with a moose and had serious, life-threatening injuries.
"Deputies located the hunter, who had hiked part of the way out of the campground by other hunters," Kramer said.
There were no firearms involved in this incident. The hunter was bow hunting the animal, missed and was then attacked by the moose.
The hunter was airlifted to a hospital. There's no word on his current condition

Anti’s everywhere rejoice.

But seriously, sucks for the hunter and sucks they’re blowing up his hunting spot!

Don’t miss is the moral of the story if you are up close and personal with something much bigger and more dangerous than you. That being said even with solid hit up close, that moose can still can still clean your clock before it expires.

Bad news all round, hope he is ok.

I vividly remember when I came to respect moose. It was still an hour before daylight, and I had walked into his bedroom. Little headlamp on my head and something very large towering infront of me, 15-16 yards (estimation in the dark)

I backed up slowly, never turning around so I could keep all attention on him. I have had a lot of Bovine standoffs and interactions, I can, or could, always side step them. Those large paddles on top seemed like they would just scoop me up and bring me right back to the center of his attention. He followed me out, but that was it. He stood guard on the edge of the trees he had been in while I continued my retreat.

They are a lot bigger than they seem, I felt like I could have almost walked under him.

OP

3forks

WKR
A hundred years ago, I had a friend with a Saab 900 that took his then girlfriend to look at the fall colors up by Rand, CO.

They came around a corner, and there was a bull moose standing in the road. They hit the moose basically squarely, and the roof of the car and the windshield frame/stays were crushed from the impact, but there was minimal damage to the hood and grill of the car.

It was explained to my friend from his Saab mechanic, that because Saab is Swedish manufacturer - and because there are so many moose and car collisions in Sweden - that the windshield supports / stays were designed with reinforced structure as opposed to other vehicles because moose are so tall.

Jaquomo

WKR
I live with moose all around my house in N. CO and have been chased by angry cow moose three times. Once when hiking, twice when elk hunting. They are frightening creatures and can go zero to sixty as fast as a Tesla. I don't know if bear spray will work on them, but I now carry it for moose. I hope I never have to find out. Best wishes for the hunter's recovery.

Macintosh

WKR
Moose are really territorial and will attack people--it's a thing, even outside of hunting. Add whatever hormones a rutting moose has, and it could get ugly. I knew not one but multiple people who had been attacked by moose during various types of races in Scandinavia, and have heard of it here as well.
Hope the guy is OK.

I walked up on this guy one morning. We gave him some distance as he was not the least little bit scared of us. First time I had ever seen a moose act like that....It was dark and the photo is terrible. But I assure you that he wasn't giving us an inch. Glad I seen him or we would have ran right into him.

IMG_3979.JPG

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I live with moose all around my house in N. CO and have been chased by angry cow moose three times. Once when hiking, twice when elk hunting. They are frightening creatures and can go zero to sixty as fast as a Tesla. I don't know if bear spray will work on them, but I now carry it for moose. I hope I never have to find out. Best wishes for the hunter's recovery.
Happened to me once on a archery elk hunt in Colorado. I'd give that sucker a huge buffer but snap a twig and that thing was on me at warp speed to like 10 yards before stopping.
Happened like 5 times. Couldn't decide if I should spray him or if that was the final trigger for a stomping. Ended up leaving the drainage even though that's where all the elk sign was. Life is short and gets shorter when your around love sick moose

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I damn sure backed my 4x4 Silverado up on a county road in CO one day, when the biggest bull I've ever seen stopped in the road about 30 yards in front of me and then looked DOWN at me with a menacing look. Gave him about 60 more yards, then laughed my butt off as I watched him trip and fall over a barbed wire fence after he crossed the road, still looking in my direction. He literally fell on his side, got up, and looked around like he meant to do that. Then he just ambled off with his embarrassment. I sure wish I had that whole sequence on video. Funniest thing I've ever seen.

Well, I sure hope the guy is ok

Probably going to have some nasty target panic when he heals up knowing the potential consequences of missing the shot… someone should give Joel Turner a heads up