Moo Cows/Cattle While Elk Hunting

DWinVA

WKR
Went on my first CO elk hunt this year. It was a guided hunt on public and private land. The first few days we ran into a lot of cattle and I think it had a negative impact on our hunting. Is this a typical issue on a lot of the CO public land?

Even with this we had a great time and are already planning a return for our first DYI hunt.

God Bless.

Trr15

WKR
I run into them a lot in archery season in the high country here in southern WY. Can't say for sure that there is a correlation, but it sure seems that I never get into elk whenever there are moo cows around.

1hoda

Banned
It can happen in some areas but not normal. You can get current grazing info from USFS or BLM before you go. The outfitter certainly should be aware of these areas - you are paying for the hunt so no reason not to ask / express your concerns abut hunting with beef cattle or domestic sheep.

LostArra

WKR
It's a definite problem in the San Juan wilderness. Sheep and cattle. Bawling calves. Sheep dogs running thru camp. Cattle flattening tents. All in the wilderness area with the elk gone. Funny thing is in Wyoming I've seen elk bedded with a few stray steers.

I run into cattle a lot in Utah and did in CO on my deer hunt. They sure can screw up a good plan that's for sure.

OP
DWinVA

DWinVA

WKR
Thanks for the input. I hunt around cows here in VA and was just wondering if what we saw was normal.

God Bless.

Where we hunt there is a huge ranch that has a ton of cattle which also is where ALL of the elk hang out. Obviously they don't usually hang out together, but I wouldn't say they'd ruin a hunt. I wouldn't hunt around them, but if they were passing through I wouldn't move. I would say it's about the same as deer, you never really see them hanging out together. I also saw a bear within minutes of a herd of elk in the same patch of trees. I have seen elk withing hundreds of yards from cattle, but never right next to them. If they are over-grazing the land (which isn't really allowed on BLM) it could have an effect in that the elk have no reason to be there.

There have been a few studies done on elk/cattle interactions. Generally speaking, elk will avoid pastures with cattle, and the best areas to find elk will be in areas that are devoid of cattle. You will still find some elk in pastures with cattle and occasionally some elk will mix right in with herds of cattle, but those are the exception.

Mike