MONTANA TO TEXAS - a possible move

I would not recommend anyone to move to Texas.

ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE SMALL CHILDREN STARTING INTO THE EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM HERE.

Last edited:

TxxAgg

WKR
Yeah, why? It can vary where you live within the state, but the schools are pretty good.

I didn’t enjoy living in Texas, but the public schools are generally solid, at least in the cities.

Gbfan

FNG
Originally from a northern midwest state. I've lived in UT for several years, followed by several years in NM. Currently been living in TX (New Braunfels area), the last year and a half. Like a lot of places, the growth in this area is crazy. I anticipate being here maybe 3 more years, then hopefully heading back to the midwest, or a northern rocky mountain state. Personally, I could never live in TX the rest of my life, for a lot of the aforementioned reasons. But I wasn't raised here, and I don't have family here. Family/relatives can be a big draw. I sure do miss being close to those millions of public land acres too.

medvedyt

WKR
Yeah you won't see many ladies out there on the ice. Unless you live in AK and have an indigenous wife lol.
trust me will it be alaska or the Yukon more people including women enjoy ice fishing ... but you have to be there and survived the first winter to understand that ... our 7 months of winter and 5 months of tourists are enjoyable but that is not for everybody like texas, colorado or other places.

Why, to both responses?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
OP just needs to do research on everything,

Water Problems, Housing Prices, rental prices, and property taxes in relationship to salaries in Texas. Home is where you hang your hat, I would recommend small town Texas. Stay away from the big Blue Cities.

Look at Texas Educational Rankings Nationally. Texas has also has a large teacher shortage. If you find the right neighborhood, and have the money to live there, then student education will be fine. The Demographics is totally different than Montana.

What is nice about research is that you can make decisions based upon facts and not others opinions.

Blandry

WKR
Originally from a northern midwest state. I've lived in UT for several years, followed by several years in NM. Currently been living in TX (New Braunfels area), the last year and a half. Like a lot of places, the growth in this area is crazy. I anticipate being here maybe 3 more years, then hopefully heading back to the midwest, or a northern rocky mountain state. Personally, I could never live in TX the rest of my life, for a lot of the aforementioned reasons. But I wasn't raised here, and I don't have family here. Family/relatives can be a big draw. I sure do miss being close to those millions of public land acres too.

The growth is what ran me out of New Braunfels. I used to be able to run up I35 to my Austin office in 30 minutes. Once it started taking 1.5 hours it was time to move. It's a cool little town, though. The growth also ran me out of Leander, TX up here to CO as soon as a TDY position opened.

If you gave me the option of waking up every morning in Montana and having to walk to the bathroom and shit and my hand and clap or move to Texas; I’d be asking the admins to change my screen name to “Dookie Digits.”
As someone who moved from the south to out west, I feel this in my soul. 😂

- Dookie Digits II

lw92

FNG
I grew up in your area of Texas and I now live in NM. I get culture shock when going back to visit family!

curious what are the annual property taxes on something like a 3-400k house in texas? i guess the big cheap houses are appealing but the weather, amount of ppl, I dont get it

curious what are the annual property taxes on something like a 3-400k house in texas? i guess the big cheap houses are appealing but the weather, amount of ppl, I dont get it
Depends on county but 1.81% I think is the average. I don't know how that compares to elsewhere, but keep in mind there's no state income tax in TX. Sales tax at the state level is around 6% and locals add on top of that, here in SA it totals out to 8.25%.

Weather is great in Texas in the winter lmao... Along the coast the highs are typically in the mid 80's all summer long. Texas is a big place and you can find a lot of different climates depending on where you are. I'm in central Texas and when I drive up to Wyoming well over half the drive is just getting out of Texas. Humidity where I'm at in SA is pretty high which nobody likes but it's not as bad as some Eastern areas, typically here July and August are the suck then it's back to normal.