Montana refund question

Been a few years since I haven’t drawn… Is Montana still sending out snail mail checks for refunds?

How long after the draw do they get mailed out?

Thanks!

Elk97

WKR
I talked to someone and they said a couple of weeks. As I understand it, only the amount of the big game combo is refunded, not the license, bird, fishing, etc. Might be wrong, this is the first time to not hunt elk in MT.

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a govt entity, don’t expect any part of it to be fast

Nothing here yet but I would expect folks closer to main mail lines to receive theirs before me.

I'm still waiting on mine too. Last month I called and they told my they would be mailed out at the end of the month. I assumed they were talking about April. If that was true I definitely should find one in my mailbox by today but I'm not holding my breath.

Checked my mail today and no check. So I must assume they were not sent out at the end of the month as I was told they would be as it is now the 9th.

cfdjay

WKR
I mean c'mon. I paid electronically how can they not refund electronically?

Norm555

WKR
Agreed, New Mexico returns the cost electronically just a couple days after the draw

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
Still haven't received mine yet. It's been just under a month since the results came out. Hoping they start sending those refunds out a little sooner, pretty ridiculous that they don't electronically refund in this day and age.

OP
B
Happened to catch my mail lady pulling in the drive, still nothing yet. Getting sort of ridiculous… Really don’t want to carry a balance on my card for another month because FWP can’t get their shit together.

I didn’t draw in 2019 and ended up hunting on a leftover tag. From recollection it only took a week or two that time? Can’t really remember but it definitely wasn’t this long.

Last edited:

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
Happened to catch my mail lady pulling in the drive, still nothing yet. Getting sort of ridiculous… Really don’t want to carry a balance on my card for another month because FWP can’t get their shit together.

I didn’t draw in 2019 and ended up hunting on a leftover tag. From recollection it only took a week or two that time? Can’t really remember but it definitely wasn’t this long.
Considering it takes FWP two weeks to release draw results you'd think they would use those two weeks for preparing refunds to be sent out once results are posted. Having to carry a balance is definitely frustrating, only upside for me is that I put it on a card that has no interest for 15 months.

PGWest

Lil-Rokslider
For all following - I called FWP this morning and was told they were/would be sent out "this week". She didn't know if they were sent earlier in the week or will be sent today/tomorrow, she just said she was just told "this week". Sounds like the delay from them supposedly being sent at the end of April had to do with the mixup with the Elk draw. It also sounds like they are switching to a new system, so hopefully moving forward we can expect electronic refunds and not have to wait a month for a check. Anyway, figured I'd update, I'd expect them early next week, hopefully...