Montana or Idaho for spring bear?

Rockinova

FNG
I didn't see this topic listed, sorry if redundant. I'm looking at spring bear in a year or so, and debating between these two states. It would likely be DIY, no bait. Probably won't be able to get boots on the ground to scout prior to the hunt based on distance from CO and finances. So which do you prefer, especially if you've hunted both? I'd appreciate your opinions, not just based on success rate in terms of making a kill, but also overall experience, number of bears seen, quality of the bears, etc.. Thanks!

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't see this topic listed, sorry if redundant. I'm looking at spring bear in a year or so, and debating between these two states. It would likely be DIY, no bait. Probably won't be able to get boots on the ground to scout prior to the hunt based on distance from CO and finances. So which do you prefer, especially if you've hunted both? I'd appreciate your opinions, not just based on success rate in terms of making a kill, but also overall experience, number of bears seen, quality of the bears, etc.. Thanks!
The price of tags is about double in Montana compared to Idaho. Worth considering. Bears are probably similar.

OP
R

Rockinova

FNG
Blind Squirrel, that is definitely worth keeping in mind, thanks. Also good to know bears (I presume you mean density /opportunity) are about the same

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Blind Squirrel, that is definitely worth keeping in mind, thanks. Also good to know bears (I presume you mean density /opportunity) are about the same
I meant quality of bears. I’m not certain on bear density, sounds like other posters are saying Idaho has more, that probably varies by unit. There are some units in Idaho that allow you to take 2 bears. And some that allow you to use electronic calls.

OP
R

Rockinova

FNG
Thanks everyone. I had previously decided to go with Idaho, but then something had me questioning the decision. Sounds like Idaho is the more likely option. I agree that Colorado has a lot of bears, but they don't have a spring season. Have been hunting bears here in the fall for the last several years, but want to get out in the spring.