Montana Nonresident tag sales

Legend

WKR
We had to pass legislation to get MTFWP to provide this information. Thanks to all those involved with HB593.

Feel free to have an opinion, but the goal of this post is to just share information.

Attachments

• hb-593-report-v4.pdf
    104.1 KB · Views: 95
Looks like fishing, upland, waterfowl, black bear and elk B licenses have all taken pretty good jumps. Upland doubled in four years. The power of YouTube…

I would say the power of the internet in general combined with fewer opportunities to hunt upland birds in the "traditional" states due to increased leasing of prime lands and over-crowded public lands in those states.
I used to be able to make a few phone calls and have a good day's worth of pheasant hunting lined up where I grew up (south central MN). Now, it is impossible to get permission.

Having a state that has good numbers of upland birds, a significant amount of public accessible land to hunt and isn't that far away from the traditional upland states makes MT a sleeper that is finally getting some recognition.

I would say the power of the internet in general combined with fewer opportunities to hunt upland birds in the "traditional" states due to increased leasing of prime lands and over-crowded public lands in those states.
Sure, my response was simplistic. However, I can’t tell you how many folks I’ve talked to who “discovered” various bird opportunities via a YouTube video.

I can think of one person in particular who has blown up a number of hunting opportunities across the west. If I see his truck in an area I hunt again, I might have an aneurysm.

But, I don’t want to derail this thread. It’s not hard to see the power of social media in this data.

cmak

FNG
Sure, my response was simplistic. However, I can’t tell you how many folks I’ve talked to who “discovered” various bird opportunities via a YouTube video.

I can think of one person in particular who has blown up a number of hunting opportunities across the west. If I see his truck in an area I hunt again, I might have an aneurysm.

But, I don’t want to derail this thread. It’s not hard to see the power of social media in this data.
RN

IDVortex

WKR

Curious on who it is. But, don't want to derail the thread.

But, social media has been a bitter sweet. And I think in some ways have done more harm than good. Though when good comes of it I'm happy. Once I get home I'll have to read the new law for MT.

WCB

WKR
Social media and the Covid spike 100%.

For those in the know...what is a "relative of a resident" tag?

S.Clancy

WKR
Social media and the Covid spike 100%.

For those in the know...what is a "relative of a resident" tag?
The legislature keeps coming up with these BS tags. Basically, some state representative wanted to hunt with some family that lives out of state, so they created a set aside. Same as "come home to hunt" etc.

WCB

WKR
The legislature keeps coming up with these BS tags. Basically, some state representative wanted to hunt with some family that lives out of state, so they created a set aside. Same as "come home to hunt" etc.
so my mom and sister live in MT. Moved there 8ish years ago. I was not born their and never was a resident. You are saying I could get a tag just due to having a family member in MT?

Last edited:

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
so my mom and sister live in MT. Moved there 8ish years ago. I was not born their and never was a resident. You are saying I could get a tag just due to having a family member in MT?

Already found out I could get a deer tag as my sisters inlaws own a ranch so I could do the landowner sponsored thing.

Not quite anymore.

A few years ago you could have, but MT changed that rule. It used to be if you had a blood relative that was a resident you could be sponsored by them and hunt with them as part of the Come Home to Hunt.

I used to be able to make a few phone calls and have a good day's worth of pheasant hunting lined up where I grew up (south central MN). Now, it is impossible to get permission.

Having a state that has good numbers of upland birds, a significant amount of public accessible land to hunt and isn't that far away from the traditional upland states makes MT a sleeper that is finally getting some recognition.
I am 40, and I foresee hunting going away if not in my lifetime than in my children's lifetime. lack of access (in many forms) leads to less new hunters who ultimately won't put up a fight against people that want to end hunting.