Montana Non resident Big game Combination Points/drawing

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
My dad and I are doing and elk hunt in Wyoming October 20-26. We are also trying to do a DIY deer hunt in Idaho or Montana. My dad and I both have a non resident big game combo preference points for Montana but we are already spending a bunch on our Wyoming elk tag. Could we put in for Montanas deer tag with a big game combo preference point or do we have to put in for elk and deer? Never hunted Montana

The preference points in Mt are for general tags which can be the elk combo, deer combo or big game combo. If you draw any of those you will lose your preference points. There is no purpose to having more than on PP in Montana sice everyone with 1 point draws and most with 0 do as well. Bonus points on the other hand are for specific animals in Mt (deer, elk, sheep, PH, etc) and those are for limited entry permits that go on top of your general tag (deer, elk or deer/elk) and put you into better units.

I don't think you can use the big game combo points in the deer combo drawing. I also don't think you really even need points to draw the deer combo tag.

just curious. Do nonresidents have to have preference points to draw Elk/deer combo in OTC general units? Does it take a year or two? or is it an almost guarantee draw? a little confused how it works if you want to hunt deer and elk at the same time.

Back