Montana Non Res combo license points questions

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
So I currently have 1 preference point. my dad and hunting buddy have zero points. we would like to go hunt Montana general seasons next year.
1st question what do you recommended we do to have the best chances o fall going to hunt in 24?

2nd question i have 1 bonus point currently and i wouldn't mind applying for a draw hunt this year as a lotto ticket, and try and get a premium unit but i don't want to draw a general hunt this year.

3rd question i thought there was a way to apply with only one preference point then after the draw buy a preference point during the summer of 23 and then buy a 24 preference point when i apply for the general combo license in 24. so that i would have 3 points in the 24 draw. But i read " if you apply for a combo license the corresponding preference or bonus points may only be purchased at the time of the application. you will be locked out of the up coming points only period and ineligible to purchase a point for anything previously applied for in the general drawings that year" is there a way for me to have 3 preference points in 24?

Chad E

WKR
My understanding is....

#1 Your dad and buddy need to buy points during the points only period and then before the 24 draw giving them 2. You are in a pickle see question 3

#2 If you apply this year and turn the general back after not drawing your permit you will loose your preference point. You must draw a general take first then your application is entered into the permit draw. They are tied together.

#3. You can't decline buying the point in the draw and then pick it up during the points only period. This keeps folks from being in the random zero point pool that often has better odds than 1 point and still picking up a point later. To have 3 in 24 you need to apply this year ( to keep your previous point) buy the point at time of application and somehow not draw with the 2 points that you would go in with. You would then buy the point predraw in 24 and have 3.

Whether by design or just accident Montana has made it very complicated to try and draw a few years out. The requirement to use your point every year and also not decline then purchase a point really narrows the options down. Safe bet for your group is to eat last year's point and all of you buy a point in the points only period then again pre 24 draw.

Send me a pm if you want further explanation

Elk97

WKR
Good discussion on this in the Elk forum.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
My understanding is....

#1 Your dad and buddy need to buy points during the points only period and then before the 24 draw giving them 2. You are in a pickle see question 3

#2 If you apply this year and turn the general back after not drawing your permit you will loose your preference point. You must draw a general take first then your application is entered into the permit draw. They are tied together.

#3. You can't decline buying the point in the draw and then pick it up during the points only period. This keeps folks from being in the random zero point pool that often has better odds than 1 point and still picking up a point later. To have 3 in 24 you need to apply this year ( to keep your previous point) buy the point at time of application and somehow not draw with the 2 points that you would go in with. You would then buy the point predraw in 24 and have 3.

Whether by design or just accident Montana has made it very complicated to try and draw a few years out. The requirement to use your point every year and also not decline then purchase a point really narrows the options down. Safe bet for your group is to eat last year's point and all of you buy a point in the points only period then again pre 24 draw.

Send me a pm if you want further explanation
In regards to #3 , couldn’t he apply this year with 1 pp and not draw and then buy one next year with applying and they could all go in with a 2 pp average?

OP
stan_wa

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
Correct me if I’m wrong but I remember that you have to pay for the entire license and then you get an 80% refund if you don’t draw so it ends up being like 250 bucks that each of my buddies would have to burn to guarantee 3 point next year