Montana point creep expectation

gtriple

WKR
With this being the first year that everybody has to apply or lose all PP in Montana, I'm expecting there to be some major point creep with the general tags. I'd been planning to hunt Montana this year. I've got 2 PP, and could purchase a 3rd prior to applying. But I'm not even sure if 3 will be 100% this year.

Anybody got a hunch or some insight? Trying to avoid waiting to see what happens in Montana and then missing out on drawing other opportunities.

I have to think 3 points will be 100% this year. Outside of the outfitter welfare program, only folks who didn't draw with 2pts in 2022 could be up to 3 this year and 2pts was over 90% successful if I remember right.
2022 was the first year you lost points if not applying, so this will be the second. There can't be that many folks sitting on 2 preference points. Then again maybe I'm just optimistic so I can draw after not getting out there for the last 2 years..

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
I have to think 3 points will be 100% this year. Outside of the outfitter welfare program, only folks who didn't draw with 2pts in 2022 could be up to 3 this year and 2pts was over 90% successful if I remember right.
2022 was the first year you lost points if not applying, so this will be the second. There can't be that many folks sitting on 2 preference points. Then again maybe I'm just optimistic so I can draw after not getting out there for the last 2 years..
We didn't apply in 2022 and we didn't lose our points. I specifically talked to an agent about it. Did we just get lucky?

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
My brother in law lost his points that he had in Montana because he didn't apply so it sounds like you must have got lucky. 2 points last year was over 95% successful. If you buy the third point, you should be good. 2.2 and up was 100% success when I spoke to FWP end of February.

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, last year if you didnt apply you lost points. You must have gotten lucky.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
I spoke directly via email with an agent prior to the drawing last year and prior to the fall point purchasing. And he told me I wouldn't lose my points in 2022, and I didn't. Idk if he just was wrong and manually did something or not.

I guess the point of this thread is off-topic now. It sounds like I should be guaranteed to draw with 3 points. And even 2 points should be close.

Can you draw a license without pre-purchasing the point, then purchase a point in the fall?

It will be a mess again. I personally, per my portal account, was unsuccessful in the general draw with 2 pts last year, but my points are now showing 0. I also was one of the guys who still got a general tag sent to them despite indicating a refund. Have yet to call to discuss with anybody at game and fish, however i doubt they will be very helpful based on previous experience related to admin errors.

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully I'm not insulting...according the regs, if you didn't apply last year you should have lost all your preference points. Preference points are the ones that can help you draw a General Big Game Combo, Elk Combo, or Deer Combo tag. On the other hand you do not need to apply to keep your Bonus points, which help you draw a permit for a limited entry unit. I would also add that I've called Montana FWP 3 or 4 times so far this year and they have been extremely helpful over the phone.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
I spoke directly via email with an agent prior to the drawing last year and prior to the fall point purchasing. And he told me I wouldn't lose my points in 2022, and I didn't. Idk if he just was wrong and manually did something or not.

I guess the point of this thread is off-topic now. It sounds like I should be guaranteed to draw with 3 points. And even 2 points should be close.

Can you draw a license without pre-purchasing the point, then purchase a point in the fall?
How bout a screenshot of this email ? Maybe with preference points spelled correctly

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Hopefully I'm not insulting...according the regs, if you didn't apply last year you should have lost all your preference points. Preference points are the ones that can help you draw a General Big Game Combo, Elk Combo, or Deer Combo tag. On the other hand you do not need to apply to keep your Bonus points, which help you draw a permit for a limited entry unit. I would also add that I've called Montana FWP 3 or 4 times so far this year and they have been extremely helpful over the phone.
No offense taken. This has obviously been confusing even for the agents. I guess I just got lucky. Won't take it for granted.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
How bout a screenshot of this email ? Maybe with preference points spelled correctly
Why? I'd prefer not to post my name and the agent's name on the internet.

I thought the misspelling was weird too, but the agent told me:
"Our system is currently having an issue where our customers’ points aren’t updating correctly if they purchased a summer preference point."

So I assumed it was just an IT glitch.

bsnedeker

WKR
Sometimes you just get lucky....that sounds like the case here. One of my buddies messed up on the 1st and only thing last year and he called FWP and somehow managed to buy 2 BONUS points last year, which annoys the heck out of me as we used to have the same amount of points and now he's one ahead of me.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Sometimes you just get lucky....that sounds like the case here. One of my buddies messed up on the 1st and only thing last year and he called FWP and somehow managed to buy 2 BONUS points last year, which annoys the heck out of me as we used to have the same amount of points and now he's one ahead of me.
Take advantage of it and (help) hunt in consecutive years instead of having double the tags in one year! Lol

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider

"Our system is currently having an issue where our customers’ points aren’t updating correctly if they purchased a summer preference point."

That’s fine, if you do indeed have 2 pp and they don’t take them away later on buy 1 and apply with 3 pp and you will draw 100%.

I’m betting 80-85% with two and 100% with 3 given you have to apply every year.

We shall see. I’m going in with 2 this year. All I know is that applying with one was a giant waste of time and money last year, especially considering it took them months to issue a refund. I should’ve just not applied and bought a point last fall.

j_volt

WKR
I’m betting 80-85% with two and 100% with 3 given you have to apply every year.

We shall see. I’m going in with 2 this year. All I know is that applying with one was a giant waste of time and money last year, especially considering it took them months to issue a refund. I should’ve just not applied and bought a point last fall.
I drew last year and am tempted to try the 0 point strategy this year. Decisions, decisions...