Montana launches new FWP app

https://www.gohunt.com/content/news/mfwp-launches-new-app-to-streamline-tags-and-licenses

Article discusses the fact you can now choose electronic tags or paper tags…

Any disadvantages to going with an e-tag? I’d worry about losing my phone or running out of battery, but I’d imaging I’d have a higher chance of losing a paper tag in reality.
I like the idea, we will see how the execution goes. Especially since MT went printer paper tags, even laminated I tore one and another got wet to the point it was hard to read. I’ve lost a few paper tags on the pack out, never lost my phone.

OP
B
I like the idea, we will see how the execution goes. Especially since MT went printer paper tags, even laminated I tore one and another got wet to the point it was hard to read. I’ve lost a few paper tags on the pack out, never lost my phone.
That’s a good point, I laminated my tags last year and it worked well until it got notched, then blood/water seeped in. Though that was a minor problem at that point lol.

I’ll probably opt for e-tags in the crazy off chance I draw again this year.

ETA might also help FWP get a better idea of harvest rates as unfortunately MT doesn’t have mandatory reporting.

Last edited:
That’s a good point, I laminated my tags last year and it worked well until it got notched, then blood/water seeped in. Though that was a minor problem at that point lol.

I’ll probably opt for e-tags in the crazy off chance I draw again this year.

ETA might also help FWP get a better idea of harvest rates as unfortunately MT doesn’t have mandatory reporting.
That’s the #1 thing I wish they would start doing through the app, mandatory harvest reporting. I grew up in the south and when you killed a deer or turkey you had to physically bring it in to get checked. When I started hunting out west I was amazed most places had zero reporting of any kind. I would think knowing how many of something are being killed would be helpful setting seasons/limits/tags/herd health. I’m no biologist though.

OP
B
That’s the #1 thing I wish they would start doing through the app, mandatory harvest reporting. I grew up in the south and when you killed a deer or turkey you had to physically bring it in to get checked. When I started hunting out west I was amazed most places had zero reporting of any kind. I would think knowing how many of something are being killed would be helpful setting seasons/limits/tags/herd health. I’m no biologist though.
Same, being an Ohio resident almost my whole life I was shocked that there wasn’t any sort of mandatory reporting when I started hunting Montana.

Here where we are nearly overrun with whitetails and everything is OTC I have to report my harvest by noon the next day, yet with some coveted limited quota tag out west I might get a phone call seems insane.

Maybe they don’t need the data, but I doubt it would hurt. I just want them to have as much info as possible to make good management decisions.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
https://www.gohunt.com/content/news/mfwp-launches-new-app-to-streamline-tags-and-licenses

Article discusses the fact you can now choose electronic tags or paper tags…

Any disadvantages to going with an e-tag? I’d worry about losing my phone or running out of battery, but I’d imaging I’d have a higher chance of losing a paper tag in reality.

Oregon had e-tag available in ‘19. Still have to “tag”(I use duct tape) with name, date, lic -# and unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the idea of having the tag on my phone because like others have mentioned I have lost paper tags more than once but have never lost a phone (I did lose one for a minute and of course found it once I went to Verizon and bought a new one haha). I also hope that it will bring better harvest stats to the agency. Talking with FWP they mentioned that when a tag is validated it will record the species and which hunting district it was killed in but that is all. I'm kind of leery at the same time though as it wouldn't be the first time a new process from FWP had some kinks. Since I'm a resident I'm leaning towards the tried and true paper tags for my general deer and elk but might give the e-tags a go for spring turkey to see how it goes. I would assume nonresidents wouldn't have this luxury but once I punch a turkey tag somewhere out of cell service I will try to report back.

OP
B
I like the idea of having the tag on my phone because like others have mentioned I have lost paper tags more than once but have never lost a phone (I did lose one for a minute and of course found it once I went to Verizon and bought a new one haha). I also hope that it will bring better harvest stats to the agency. Talking with FWP they mentioned that when a tag is validated it will record the species and which hunting district it was killed in but that is all. I'm kind of leery at the same time though as it wouldn't be the first time a new process from FWP had some kinks. Since I'm a resident I'm leaning towards the tried and true paper tags for my general deer and elk but might give the e-tags a go for spring turkey to see how it goes. I would assume nonresidents wouldn't have this luxury but once I punch a turkey tag somewhere out of cell service I will try to report back.
Yeah that’s one of my big questions is how does it work out if cell service. Most of my elk hunting in MT is about 2 hrs from any cell coverage.

The waterproof paper on Amazon, printed with a laser printer, works great for printed tags, though at an increased cost. I've had tags washed in the washing machine and dried that were printed that way, and the only issue was the signature line had washed off and needed re-signed. Works slick.

Glad to see the new app though. Hopefully the web portal gets an update too!

Yeah that’s one of my big questions is how does it work out if cell service. Most of my elk hunting in MT is about 2 hrs from any cell coverage.
You have to make sure all the tags etc are synced to the app before you loose service.
I had a shit show with it last year. I opened the app like 4 times during season to make sure they were there, Then it was pouring rain and my phone got wet, it didn't want to work, then it went dead, then it wouldn't charge because the port had water in it.
And you still have to carry something to write on, with, and attach to the animal.

Big_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Licenses and E-tags are accessible when you are out of cell service so long as you have logged into the app and download the E-tags to you mobile device. Once you do that, you can validate the tags even if you have no cell service (offline). I tried it out (didn’t finish the validation) and it seems to work with no cell service.

MT is easy guys. These tags will work great. It will be as easy as buying the general hunting license. You have 13 to choose from…
Resident
Resident Youth
Resident Senior
Resident Vet
Resident Living Off Gov Subsidy
Non-Resident
Non-Resident Used to Live in MT
Non-Resident Born in MT
Non-Resident Parents Live in MT
Non-Resident You Know Someone Who Lives in MT
Non-Resident You Take Online College Classes in MT
Non-Resident You’ll Go With an Outfitter in MT
Non-Resident You Know a Guy, Who Dated a Girl , Who Had Relatives, Who Were Politically Connected in MT

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved

In OR, you “punch” your tag on phone, then after you have service, you “Validate” your tag

Erict

WKR
Below from MT FWP FAQ. Does the app automatically sign out when the phone is shut off/on without cell service? I imagine battery drain is very minimal.

• Can I access my licenses and E-Tags out of cell service?

Yes. As long as you are logged into the app and have downloaded your E-Tags to your device while in
service, no connectivity is needed to access licenses or validate your E-
Tags. Downloaded E-Tags will be
stored in the app for easy access. Validated E-Tags will be uploaded to FWP automatically when you are
back in service.

Bergy

FNG
That’s about it. Seems like they make it complicated to keep hunters away.

In OR, you “punch” your tag on phone, then after you have service, you “Validate” your tag

I don't believe this is true.
It must be loaded in the app before you leave service, and validated at the kill site or you have an illegal animal until it is validated.

blackdawg

WKR

We have to enter our whitetails before moving them on the state app in TN. Apparently the app will log the time and location of harvest without service if I am correct, kinda like ONX adding a waypoint in airplane mode. Perhaps Montana has similar system design, surprised all states aren’t going this way to manage big game, I have also been rather perplexed how anyone could know what the harvest in a general area really was, much less the number of hunters using the area. Cause I know hunter’s and fisherman lie,lie,lie about where they are getting em!

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't believe this is true.
It must be loaded in the app before you leave service, and validated at the kill site or you have an illegal animal until it is validated.
yes and no... you have e-tag on app that you punch, still need to have horn/carcass identified with name/#/unit, but you must sync app after youre in cell service to validate on odfw website

So I went in to FWP this morning to get a few questions answered. You can validate the tag w/o cell service so long as you have downloaded it and remain logged in to the app like others have stated. It will automatically time stamp the tag using the date/time info from your phone. MT differs from OR though in that if you have an e-tag you are not required to have any physical tag or identification on the animal. The validated e-tag is all that is required so make sure that you have your tag downloaded and you have not logged out of the app before you leave service otherwise like @BRTreedogs your animal is illegal. Once the tag is validated you will receive a "confirmation number" that you will need to give to any processor or taxidermist you then take the animal to. Supposedly as long as your phone is charged and you have downloaded the tags while still in service you will be all set. If the system works as designed it will give biologists a much better idea of harvest numbers in each district across the state, hopefully leading to better management practices.

All that being said, I'm planning on still using paper tags for my deer, elk and bear licenses. I will use the e-tag for my turkeys, additional deer, wolf and lion tags to give it a go. If you wish to have some paper and some e-tags you will need to make separate purchases for each tag "type". If you purchase all tags at once you will only be able to select paper or e-tag for all of them. So if you would like some to be one style and some the other you are required to make multiple purchases. I wish that wasn't the case but it's Montana. I'm still bummed that I can't apply for my permits and my wife's permits on the same transaction. It will really be a pain when the kids start hunting and I have to make 4 separate transactions for the entire family even though it's all going on the same card. Rant over.