Montana Knife Company experience?

Any users/owners of Josh's knives from Montana Knife Company? I am turning into a knife addict. I probably have a couple thousand dollars in knives that will do the Job. I've watched a few of his vids. His accolades are off the charts. Overall, I think he seems like simply a very solid American and I wouldnt mind supporting the guy. His knives are NOT CHEAP $$$$. There is really nothing terribly flashy about them.

In this Black Rifle everything, Nock On-Rock On, everyone needs to learn to shoot a bow and CrossFit phase, everyone seems to be jumping on the knife bandwagon as well.

I do own a few Half Face Blades. One is a very exceptional piece of art. The "production" stuff is kinda just Meh. How hard is it to bolt scales on a jett'd out blade and sharpen it? I just don't see much that is Earth Shattering.

Think I'd be most interested in a Blackfoot. Both it and the Speedgoat seem juuuuust 1/2" or so too small for me. Both are sub 8" overall.

Any users on here? Being a knife snob of sorts, I've never heard of anyone using Ball Bearing steel. But I trust he knows more than I do after simply scanning a few BladeHQ charts.

I for one, would prefer a knife that is easier to sharpen. Think many of these new Super Steels are beyond most people's ability to touch.

NDGuy

WKR
Any users/owners of Josh's knives from Montana Knife Company? I am turning into a knife addict.
IMO he charges way too much for his stuff. I have held a Blackfoot and Speedgoat model. For $300 you can buy dozens up dozens of very well made knives using more premium steel and better handle material than G10.

Don't get me wrong, he's a Master knife maker and seems like a solid guy. Also, I am sure those knives are functionally perfect but I just can't stomach paying $300 for a paracord/G10 handled 52100 steel knife. Cerakote looks tacky as well IMO. I think he is just capitalizing on the BRCC/Hunting/Dudley hype.

Other makers to look at that produce exceptional knives in that price range are:

Bob Dozier
Dan Crotts
Charles May
Gene Ingram (if you can find)

OP
J
Bob Dozier was my "Grail" guy since I could read on the internet. Dan Crotts made a Model 1 maybe?? that I've drooled over whenever I see them.

May/Ingram are familiar with each other I think, and Dave Winston worked with both? I have a plain Jane knife that I had Dave tweak and it's now the Model 43 I think? D2. Nothing flashy. Well made. A steal at maybe $220 a few years ago.

NDGuy

WKR
Bob Dozier was my "Grail" guy since I could read on the internet. Dan Crotts made a Model 1 maybe?? that I've drooled over whenever I see them.

May/Ingram are familiar with each other I think, and Dave Winston worked with both? I have a plain Jane knife that I had Dave tweak and it's now the Model 43 I think? D2. Nothing flashy. Well made. A steal at maybe $220 a few years ago.
Yep Dan Crotts was Bob's son in law for awhile. He's a great maker.

If you have any questions about the guys I listed you can PM me

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Blackfoot 2.0 from MKC. I don't collect knives and bought the blackfoot because I thought his story was cool and didn't mind supporting it. With that said, I've used the knife once to dress and skin a deer. It was ok. Thought it started real sharp and went to "kinda sharp" pretty quick where it stayed for the duration of skinning. I'll continue to use it but time will tell it's overall effectiveness. I haven't tried sharpening yet.

I bought a Blackfoot 2.0 but the handle seemed too short for me. I'm of the opinion that even small bladed knives should have a full sized handle (with some exceptions). So I sent it back for a refund. If I got another it would probably be the Stonewall but I'm not planning to.

NDGuy

WKR
IMO Overrated for what you get. Paying $300 for a paracord wrapped or G10 handled knife is a lot.

Lots of makers at that price point.

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
IMO he charges way too much for his stuff. I have held a Blackfoot and Speedgoat model. For $300 you can buy dozens up dozens of very well made knives using more premium steel and better handle material than G10.

Don't get me wrong, he's a Master knife maker and seems like a solid guy. Also, I am sure those knives are functionally perfect but I just can't stomach paying $300 for a paracord/G10 handled 52100 steel knife. Cerakote looks tacky as well IMO. I think he is just capitalizing on the BRCC/Hunting/Dudley hype.

Other makers to look at that produce exceptional knives in that price range are:

Bob Dozier
Dan Crotts
Charles May
Gene Ingram (if you can find)
Add Phil Wilson to that list.

NDGuy

WKR
I just wish Dozier would put out a few options in something other than the standard D2. I have been drooling over and torn between the General Purpose and the Yukon Pro for a long time.
D2 is an awesome steel.

Otherwise checkout Bark River, Charles May, Semper Sharp, or Lucas Forge

NDGuy

WKR
52100 would be pulling up the rear in steel. 75 bucks more for inferior steel and handle material just doesnt add up. That being said, I have a BM Altitude, Argali Carbon and the knife I have most often is the BM Steep Country with S30V.

This is all it was to me, you can have a custom handmade knife made with premium steel and a very nice handle for the same price. Josh seems like a good man and a very talented bladesmith but I can't justify paying for those.

Fitzwho

WKR
If you like the look of his knives, wait for a Magnacut version to come out. I picked up a Magnacut Speedgoat earlier this year. It is really nice.

Picked up a Dawson Deep Notch as well (out of AZ). Very interested in putting these two to work this fall.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I met Josh in college and hunted with him a few times. His is a prodigy in the knife making world. While I don't currently have the MKC offerings, my next blade will be a MKC blade and I've seen his work and it is fantastic. I'm just waiting for him to do another damascus run and then I hope I can hit the buy button fast enough. He is a great guy and I 100% am willing to pay more money for a locally made product rather than saving a $ to get something overseas. Is it a recent craze? I'm not sure, but I'm glad to the success he is having.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the Blackfoot 2.0 knife in magnacut and really like it. Skinned out and deboned a black bear and cut up two turkeys, still has a nice edge. I usually carry a HFB crow jr or Benchmade steep country, I think the edge held up better than both those. It’s not as burly as the HF but that knife is way overbuilt.

sndmn11

WKR
M4 is cool, @feanor is finishing up some Yukon Skinner/Canadian belt style blanks for me in this steel. I have a few Spyderco Bradley folders in it and it is a good balance of properties.

Spyderco does have some new Mule steels coming out soon, the shape isn't perfect for a hunter, but paired with a smaller blade like an altitude or the ridge belt knives it is a good match.

Here's a mule I finished up this weekend to donate for a Veteran's foundation fundraiser.
PXL_20220607_161622159.jpgPXL_20220607_161648337.jpg
PXL_20220607_161806775.jpgPXL_20220607_161704782.jpg

A person can get a much better knife than 52100 and g10 for far less if they poke around. I even have more mule blanks left.

Many knife steel options. Many makers. That is his entry level line. He’s an ABS MS, the highest level of certification and craftsmanship for a bladesmith. As a buyer looking for a tool, you need to think your budget, the steel for your application and how much care you want to put into the knife. I build both carbon steel and stainless steel knives. You just have to decide what your willing to pay for the craftsmanship whether it’s production, semi custom or custom ( by you). Hopefully that helps.