Montana general tag 4 for 4

Montana treated my brother and I very well this fall. 4 for 4 tags filled in 7 days of hunting. Cant wait to go back. 4 shots taken 4 heart shot animals. Cant ask for a better trip.

Attachments

• image000000(2).jpg
    image000000(2).jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 897
  • 20221025_074950.jpg
    20221025_074950.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 861
Absolutely came out above average. Where we hunt in mt there are very few deer left. Our group shot a few dinks for freezer meat. Not everyone killed and I almost felt bad about shooting the ones we did since the herd has gotten so small. Not going back for a few years 😞

OP
brentwinkey
Definitely a good 7 days. You came out above, if not we'll above, average on the bucks. Congrats.
Took some digging for my buck (smaller of the 2 in the field pic) close to 3 full days but it was worth it. Just got the euro done yesterday on it. Good trip all around.

Attachments

• 1669916348431519599059728928125.jpg
    1669916348431519599059728928125.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 145

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely came out above average. Where we hunt in mt there are very few deer left. Our group shot a few dinks for freezer meat. Not everyone killed and I almost felt bad about shooting the ones we did since the herd has gotten so small. Not going back for a few years 😞
Another reason Montana's herds are declining. Ye olde we shot a dink crew because we felt we needed to kill something out of staters. Seen truck loads like this in the breaks for 10 years. Geee I wonder why it sucks now.

Mt Al

WKR
Another reason Montana's herds are declining. Ye olde we shot a dink crew because we felt we needed to kill something out of staters. Seen truck loads like this in the breaks for 10 years. Geee I wonder why it sucks now.

I know this is an old/tired complaint, but FWP has to put an antler point minimum in place asap to keep this from happening. It's insane how many dinks are shot simply to fill a tag for 'tag and brag' rights. Infuriating.

I know this is an old/tired complaint, but FWP has to put an antler point minimum in place asap to keep this from happening. It's insane how many dinks are shot simply to fill a tag for 'tag and brag' rights. Infuriating.

What if they shot the “dink” because they wanted to eat it? What if said person doesn’t place a high priority on horns?

I get your gripe and it has some merit. But let’s stop assuming that everyone who enters the wood does so for the horns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottf270

WKR
MT FWP needs to quit the money grab and reduce tags by 50% for 4 years. They don't have the balls to do the "right thing" for the herd.

Antler restrictions ends up in non legal deer being left to rot........

If your in it for the meat, and from outta state, it's cheaper to stay home and buy beef.

Another reason Montana's herds are declining. Ye olde we shot a dink crew because we felt we needed to kill something out of staters. Seen truck loads like this in the breaks for 10 years. Geee I wonder why it sucks
Don’t misread dink for me thinking negatively of the deer. I took a critters life and my family is EATING it! Was it a giant, no… goofy racked 5x2. Was I proud to shoot it, absolutely. By that logic anyone not harvesting a 170” or over is evil for not letting it grow -we see things differently. I’d love to have had a chance at a larger deer, but like I said the herd size has been reduced. I’m giving it some time before I go back there because I want to be good to the deer -it’s my choice. I’ll bet your the kinda person who gets mad at people for cleaning fish 😂😂😂

Mt Al

WKR
What if they shot the “dink” because they wanted to eat it? What if said person doesn’t place a high priority on horns?

I get your gripe and it has some merit. But let’s stop assuming that everyone who enters the wood does so for the horns.

Father, thank you for the reprimand. I am changed.

The reality is that even though the word "harvest" has recently replaced "hunt" to make everyone feel better, is that tons of small bucks are shot so the hunter goes home with a story. That's a fact and would be nice if FWP addressed it. Not holding my breath.

The herd numbers/quality/experience, filling freezers, etc. can all be addressed by putting limits on what is harvested. If filling a freezer is really the goal (sure it is....riiiight), the harvester (let's start using that instead of hunter) would make plans on where they're hunting accordingly and would post pics on rokslide with a pile of white tail does in their pickup, high fiving, etc..

I'm talking about the 95%, you're using the 5%, the 'gripe' has tons of merit, not 'some'.

You guys that are bitching on an online forum and pointing fingers at at a guy who’s happy and proud of his success think it’s gonna do anything to change FWP’s tag allocation? No. It’s not. You don’t like it bitch to them. This fighting and telling fellow hunters YOU don’t like what they did even though it’s perfectly legal is why we’re all gonna be doomed in the long run.

Don’t like the law, bitch to the lawmakers.

Scottf270

WKR
When you post on an open forum, you are essentially saying, "hey look at me". When you do this, it gives others the right to comment. Commenting on the sad condition of Montana's deer herd is not always negativity directed at someone in particular.

I am not for, against, or jealous of anyone elses hunts. My concern is for the quality and health of the animals I love to hunt. I also want to clarify that my remarks are directed more at non resident hunters ( which I am).

Post after post on here comments on the poor state of Montana's deer herd but a great many admit to killing a "dink" or "management" buck "for the meat" on the last day. Just admit that you wanted to kill "something" rather than go home empty handed. But by doing so, you are not helping the resource in any way.

I also don't buy all the "I wanted the meat" argument. If you add up tag costs, gas, lodging, etc your cost per pound is off the charts. You could eat beef steak much cheaper. There's not very many who would shoot a dink or a doe "for the meat" if it was standing next to a trophy buck.

The state could double the tag allocation if hunters were truly selective on what they killed and we're willing to go home empty-handed. But too many have to kill to justify their time and expense. And it's the animals that pay the price. Your either part of the solution or your part of the problem.

Apologies for helping derail the thread.

Mt Al

WKR
You guys that are bitching on an online forum and pointing fingers at at a guy who’s happy and proud of his success think it’s gonna do anything to change FWP’s tag allocation? No. It’s not. You don’t like it bitch to them. This fighting and telling fellow hunters YOU don’t like what they did even though it’s perfectly legal is why we’re all gonna be doomed in the long run.

Don’t like the law, bitch to the lawmakers.

Already have several times. Hope others will as well. It isn't just non residents and understood on what they/we are doing is perfectly legal and I'd likely do or be tempted to do the same. it's a FWP/regulation issue.

Just because we're squealing at each other doesn't mean we haven't contacted FWP, but you make an excellent point and thank you (and I mean that).

Wapiti1

WKR
I would say that won't work and has been proven not to work elsewhere. They need to limit tags (buck and doe) and split the season between early and late. End the era of general deer tags and OTC doe tags. There are a few areas where this has started on the front, but it needs to be expanded.

To the OP, great job. Glad you enjoyed what Montana has to offer and were successful.

Jeremy