Montana General Map?

Go to FWP's hunt planner map and sort by harvest opportunity in the layers. It will show you where you can kill what on a general license.

Didn’t know they had these layers. Thanks for tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“I use a western hunting forum to receive and share information about western hunting, but get annoyed when other people ask questions about western hunting”

Fixed it for you.

Touche. I didnt see it as complaining about help but more frustration trying to figure it out. When I first started planning, I was very surprised I couldnt find a more comprehensive map of units. Especially considering all of the other numerous states Ive hunted have some form of color coded unit map. I see your point though. Some people do just want the hunt spoon fed to them.

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
I requested a paper copy. It was easy to understand. There aren’t many home run general units. They all I think are decent. Spend your time, do your own homework, narrow it down to two units within 50 miles of each other and stick with them. The more years that you hunt them the better hunter you will be.

I’ve killed 14 bulls and a few cows in Montana. Outfitted there for 12 years. I understand their system and regs very well. But they still suck at providing information. I can’t understand why some of you don’t think they should have a more user friendly website. You think it’s cute that a guy has to poke and hope at various units and basically research them all just to find basic information such as is a general license valid there in one way or another? Whatever….

Surely your mothers told you that if you don’t have anything nice to say then maybe don’t say anything at all. He didn’t ask for unit specific information. He didn’t start with “Not looking for your honey hole but…” His first words were “I’ve looked all over”. What’s the problem? Forums are for questions!

bsnedeker

WKR
I’ve killed 14 bulls and a few cows in Montana. Outfitted there for 12 years. I understand their system and regs very well. But they still suck at providing information. I can’t understand why some of you don’t think they should have a more user friendly website. You think it’s cute that a guy has to poke and hope at various units and basically research them all just to find basic information such as is a general license valid there in one way or another? Whatever….

Surely your mothers told you that if you don’t have anything nice to say then maybe don’t say anything at all. He didn’t ask for unit specific information. He didn’t start with “Not looking for your honey hole but…” His first words were “I’ve looked all over”. What’s the problem? Forums are for questions!
I'm mostly wondering what thread you are reading where guys are being rude about this. The only time people get annoyed is when we give them the actual, real answer to their question, and they don't accept it and continue to moan and complain about it.

I'm mostly wondering what thread you are reading where guys are being rude about this. The only time people get annoyed is when we give them the actual, real answer to their question, and they don't accept it and continue to moan and complain about it.
“Listen man, I'm seriously not trying to be a dick, but if you can't figure out how to read the MT regs to know where you can hunt i have serious concerns.”

I wouldn’t call that nice or helpful. He looked to the point where he had to ask if it exists or not. It’s not just your words it’s your shitty attitude. Help or move on Mr Know It All! Personally I enjoy helping new elk hunters.

Thumper.... you are the one who brought mommas into this!

Seriously though... if someone is that sensitive about being told to spend some time with the regs - I really don't know what to say. It isn't the asking that rubbed people wrong, it's the indignation with not getting instant gratification. Lots have said MT does not have a great system, myself included. BUT, to not want to put any effort into the system that exists and repeatedly complain about it or claim that the state of MT is trying to purposely mess up your all important time/hunt...?

That's the rub.

bsnedeker

WKR
“Listen man, I'm seriously not trying to be a dick, but if you can't figure out how to read the MT regs to know where you can hunt i have serious concerns.”

I wouldn’t call that nice or helpful. He looked to the point where he had to ask if it exists or not. It’s not just your words it’s your shitty attitude. Help or move on Mr Know It All! Personally I enjoy helping new elk hunters.
Well then you and I have different interpretations of helpful. I think I was being VERY helpful. At the time that guy just wanted a map because he (from his own admission) couldn't figure out the regs, a guy gave him a map. It told him that if he came out and hunted using that map that he could get in a LOT of trouble. I told him he needed to figure out the regs before he came here and hunted. He and I talked offline about it and had a good conversation after the fact.

Bottom line, what I said was 100% true and potentially saved him from legal trouble. Maybe you think I should have just kept my mouth shut and let a guy who couldn't figure out the regs come off and hunt based on a picture someone sent him on the internet. I strongly disagree with you on that.

bsnedeker

WKR
That's cool, but it doesn't mean you don't need to read the regs. You can see where the general works, but it doesn't tell you what you can legally harvest; bull, cow, any elk, etc. You still need to be able to read and understand the regs to know that information.

They need one more drop down in their filtering to let you choose what type of elk you are hunting for, then it would be perfect!

Well would you look at that! The mysterious, all encompassing map does exist! And not one of the Montana reg experts knew it existed. The question wasn’t so absurd after all....

bsnedeker

WKR
Well would you look at that! The mysterious, all encompassing map does exist! And not one of the Montana reg experts knew it existed. The question wasn’t so absurd after all....

It was released this afternoon dude, and again, you still need to read the regs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It was released this afternoon dude, and again, you still need to read the regs.

So they realized people wanted easier access to the information and created one. Even better! Who would think you could just look at such a map and take off into the mountains? Yea there are always the exceptions, but not very many people willing to pay $1,000 for a tag are going to be that non-chalant. It is a TOOL to make planning easier.

bsnedeker

WKR
So they realized people wanted easier access to the information and created one. Even better! Who would think you could just look at such a map and take off into the mountains? Yea there are always the exceptions, but not very many people willing to pay $1,000 for a tag are going to be that non-chalant. It is a TOOL to make planning easier.

Good luck buddy, this is like talking to a brick wall. Have fun hunting off this map without cross referencing the regs (which is what you've been complaining about).

Did you look at the map and see where it says the general tag is good? It's basically the entire state, just like everyone in this thread has said from the beginning.

Your 1000 tag, plus the thousands of dollars in fines and legal fees and losing your hunting privileges is hopefully worth the time you saved by not reading the damn regs. Good grief.

Good luck buddy, this is like talking to a brick wall. Have fun hunting off this map without cross referencing the regs (which is what you've been complaining about).

Did you look at the map and see where it says the general tag is good? It's basically the entire state, just like everyone in this thread has said from the beginning.

Your 1000 tag, plus the thousands of dollars in fines and legal fees and losing your hunting privileges is hopefully worth the time you saved by not reading the damn regs. Good grief.

It is one single TOOL to use in the planning process. If you can’t read an entire post, how can you possibly comprehend the regs? I feel like you are now just arguing for the sake of arguing. Go get that beer I offered you bud.