Montana bison processing

So I drew a bison tag for the FP Rez here in Montana this year and I’m really stressing about who to have process it. I do all of my own game meat but I don’t think this is something I want to take on. I have had some bad experiences like most of us have with meat processors. Does anybody have any suggestions? For the cost of the tag and everything involved I want it done right. Any help would be much appreciated.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
i'd do it my self should be easier than deer and elk because the fat is good on a buffalo and you don't have to trim as much. I'd hate to have a processor screw a buffalo up. you don't get a buffalo very often.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
Do you know anyone that is a cutter or used to cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a big undertaking. I’ve done two. If you are localish, I would hang it and process it over a week or so yourself. If really wanting a processor, I’d check ahead with them and get pricing. It can get pricey quick.

rmrwade

FNG
should cost around a 1.00 a pound hanging weight. bison should yeild about 55 percent of that for meat. even if its cold you only have about 6hr max to remove the hide before you can get some souring. put it on a pallet in the back of a truck bed. helps with air flow. Ive cut up many of them. Just basic stuff. if you want it done "right", get a plant to do it and pay the money. ellery hoch in wolf point used to cut up buff for the tribe. Not sure he is doing meat any more but you can look up hochs meat processing to find out.
I dont know where you are but if you are taking that thing very far off the highline up there, you`d be wise to skin it and get it on a pallet so it can cool. I brained tanned buffalo for over 20 yrs and bought one every year until they got too pricey. you can absolutely cut this yourself just keep it simple.

Rogue Bay

WKR
I cut all of my own meat as well but a bison seemed like a daunting task so I had Clark Fork Custom Meats in Plains process mine. He did a great job. I know that’s probably not very helpful for you, but I was very pleased with him.

Milestown

FNG
Ryan's meat processing in Jordan does a great job of processing.
They have the BEST salami, polish dogs and jerky and have a wall full of awards to prove it. The breakfast sausage they make out of wild game is also very good.
Have a great hunt, be sure to post a few pictures.
Hal

Last edited:
OP
Hunt eat repeat
It’s a big undertaking. I’ve done two. If you are localish, I would hang it and process it over a week or so yourself. If really wanting a processor, I’d check ahead with them and get pricing. It can get pricey quick.
Yeah I was planning on probably $1000 or so to have it done. I don’t really want a lot of specialty stuff made but well done cuts.

OP
Hunt eat repeat
should cost around a 1.00 a pound hanging weight. bison should yeild about 55 percent of that for meat. even if its cold you only have about 6hr max to remove the hide before you can get some souring. put it on a pallet in the back of a truck bed. helps with air flow. Ive cut up many of them. Just basic stuff. if you want it done "right", get a plant to do it and pay the money. ellery hoch in wolf point used to cut up buff for the tribe. Not sure he is doing meat any more but you can look up hochs meat processing to find out.
I dont know where you are but if you are taking that thing very far off the highline up there, you`d be wise to skin it and get it on a pallet so it can cool. I brained tanned buffalo for over 20 yrs and bought one every year until they got too pricey. you can absolutely cut this yourself just keep it simple.
Thanks for the info. I’ll look em up. Wouldn’t have thought they would sour that fast but totally makes sense. Buffalo bones are huge and hold a lot of heat.

OP
Hunt eat repeat
How long should it age? It’s for a 5-6 year old bull and I hear he should still be good (not tough) but I would think it should hang for a while.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
I did our bison last year on our deck with my elderly mom running the vac sealer. Did the entire critter in 2 afternoons. 2 rather long afternoons. 3 year old cow. Guide helped me quarter it before we left the pasture (grocery run harvest not a free range hunt). Yield was around 390# of bone in meat.
Only issue was that our vac sealer took a shit on us right at the end but I used that as an excuse to get a commercial chamber vac sealer.
I wouldnt be afraid to do another one myself.

OP
Hunt eat repeat
Do it yourself. Find a garage with a table and line up the equipment. I can’t imagine having my meat handled when I’m not present.
Yeah I totally understand that. Jokes aside. I would like to do it myself. Gives me anxiety to think about moving an animal that big.

rmrwade

FNG
buffalo dry out pretty fast when they are hanging, much like wild game. i would not do much on the aging side. I really enjoyed the cubed steaks. Helped me get some cuts other than obvious steak cuts and lots of burger.
I prefer to cut up whole muscle cuts. freeze them and use them however I want throughout the year. yes this means I clean my grinder a ton throughout the year. but this way I can use my cuts for roasts, stew meat, jerky... most importantly for me it gets the animal cut up as quickly as It can be. I dont like standing at the cutting table two days in a row.

OP
Hunt eat repeat
That's awesome! What kinda gun did you use?

Who ended up processing it?
Killed it with the 28nosler stacked two shots on top of each other at 200 yards and dropped him. Both bullets stuck in the opposite ribs. Didn’t hurt any meat at all.
A friend and I were going to process it but decided to take it to a local guy. I want the steaks cut properly. Sounds like I might get the chance to help/learn so I’m feeling good about that. Hearing all sorts of opinions on how this bull will eat. Some say grind the whole thing and others say cut every steak I can get. My though is you can’t ungrind a steak 😂

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Killed it with the 28nosler stacked two shots on top of each other at 200 yards and dropped him. Both bullets stuck in the opposite ribs. Didn’t hurt any meat at all.
A friend and I were going to process it but decided to take it to a local guy. I want the steaks cut properly. Sounds like I might get the chance to help/learn so I’m feeling good about that. Hearing all sorts of opinions on how this bull will eat. Some say grind the whole thing and others say cut every steak I can get. My though is you can’t ungrind a steak 😂
At 5-6yrs he should be just fine.