Montana backcountry vehicle recommendation

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting the breaks this November for mule deer. Deciding on best vehicle for the area… between Silverado 1500 and Jeep Gladiator. Both have AT tires and 4x4. Jeep has locking rear diff. Silverado better ground clearance. Am I over thinking it? Don’t wanna get stuck in the gumbo…

I pick up chains at one of the local tire shops and travel with a 'mobile recovery kit' when using rental trucks for late hunts or anywhere the conditions can take a nosedive. It's nothing overly crazy and doesn't replace having a wench, but having a snatch strap, a surplus military E-tool, 3x large soft shackles, and 2x traction boards has saved hunts on more than occasion, total weight is less than 18lbs.

*Edited to add: If you hold onto your receipt and don't end up using the chains, you can return them on your way out.

OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies... Looks like we will stick with the more economical rental (silverado) and pick up some chains and hope for good weather!

BluMtn

WKR
If there's gumbo, you're not driving anywhere with any vehicle, jeep or truck.

A lot of guys will drive to base camp, then take an ATV from there. That is going to get you into much more country than either vehicle.
I have a utility trailer that got packed with that mud and 5 years later some of that mud is still packed in the frame. Every now and then I crawl under it with a screwdriver and hammer and chisel some mud out of there. Pressure washing does not even bother it. That is some of the nastiest stuff there is. They need to make paint out of it because it never peel off.

AHayes111

FNG
Hunting the gumbo is real simple. You do not drive off of the improved roads if it is wet. Chains will help if there is deep snow, but using them in wet gumbo may just make it worse. You want to keep your tires spinning as fast to throw the mud off of your tires if you hit a patch of wet gumbo.