Montana (and other state) hunter orange laws out dated?

If you can't confidently identify your target, you have no business pointing a loaded firearm at it, regardless of how quick the opportunities are. That's insanely negligent. Please never hunt outside of VA.

Lemme guess. you hunt with an unloaded rifle too??

Binoculars should be required.

Ones that cost at least $800. Not the cheap crap

If it saves one life…..

Harvey_NW

WKR
Lemme guess. you hunt with an unloaded rifle too??
The majority of the time, yes. I don't chamber one until I'm either set up in position to shoot, making a stalk, or have reason to believe I might bump something in cover. Even then, I would never use my scope to identify my target. If it happens so fast my eyes can't see it and my brain can't acknowledge "deer", there was no shot opportunity.

The majority of the time, yes. I don't chamber one until I'm either set up in position to shoot, making a stalk, or have reason to believe I might bump something in cover. Even then, I would never use my scope to identify my target. If it happens so fast my eyes can't see it and my brain can't acknowledge "deer", there was no shot opportunity.
Same, my chamber is empty unless I’m ready to fire the majority of the time. I was taught growing up to always have a round chambered walking around but as I learned to hunt on my own I started to figure out it wasn’t necessary to me and wasn’t something I wanted to teach the kids I take hunting.

300stw

FNG
private landowners cant see you corner crossing if u dont have orange,

i think its more to see tresspassers then anything, the statistics dont show a difference
suprised all the cattle and horses in mt arent required to wear it,
all i ever hear is landowners complaining there cows or horses get shot every year

dtchhuntr

FNG
I'm all for the orange personally. Not uncommon to have multiple drives occurring in Iowa on public land with different access points. But orange shows up through the binos (not my scope...) and avoids 2 groups walking into each other.

Just to be clear, I am fully in support of requiring orange. To me it is equal to the safety on a gun. It is there just as a secondary measure. It shouldn’t be the determining factor that keeps you from pointing a gun at someone. No one should ever be pointing a firearm at an object that they haven’t identified.
There are a lot of people in the woods who are not hunters and are not legally required to wear orange. Even if you are on private property, a mushroom picker or or dog walker could have accidentally ended up on the property. Hunters need to do better. It is absolutely ridiculous This is still happening in this day and age.

Last edited:
Years ago my hunting partner said the greatest safety feature in hunting was the antler requirement. It forces you to take your time to determine your target for legality. Not only having antlers but determining if they have enough (4 inch browtine or none for a cow). Snap shots and noise shots just went away.

I remember an accidental shooting 50 years ago when two gents from the east coast came hunting in Montana. One got up early to take a dump and his partner shot him in the butt when he saw the flash of the toilet paper as his partner was wiping his butt.

With that in mind for many years I would die a new set of underwear red or pink to limit my risk from snap shooters. Even on my horses, I usually have an orange saddle blanket and my orange riding jacket tied behind to cantle.

I remember with great distinction riding down a Forest Service trail and as we broke over a little rise there were two idiots from Washington behind a log, with their safeties off preparing to shoot us as we broke cover. They were only 40 yds away.

As wired as they were, it was a miracle they didn't shoot - color be damned.

As a very experienced hunter, I usually watch for a while and pick my shot. Its tough to teach that to a green hunter without close mentorship.

I also remember in the 70s, a NR hunter that shot a pack horse at less than 50 yds through the orange panniers. The packer was wearing an orange slicker.

These experiences have left me cautious to paranoid of riding or walking in the open. The orange vest law has diminished the accidents and now that we are used to it, I think things would get ugly if it went away. I have killed a lot of game at less than a 100 yds wearing one.

here is some blaze oragne under wear!
Years ago my hunting partner said the greatest safety feature in hunting was the antler requirement. It forces you to take your time to determine your target for legality. Not only having antlers but determining if they have enough (4 inch browtine or none for a cow). Snap shots and noise shots just went away.

I remember an accidental shooting 50 years ago when two gents from the east coast came hunting in Montana. One got up early to take a dump and his partner shot him in the butt when he saw the flash of the toilet paper as his partner was wiping his butt.

With that in mind for many years I would die a new set of underwear red or pink to limit my risk from snap shooters. Even on my horses, I usually have an orange saddle blanket and my orange riding jacket tied behind to cantle.

I remember with great distinction riding down a Forest Service trail and as we broke over a little rise there were two idiots from Washington behind a log, with their safeties off preparing to shoot us as we broke cover. They were only 40 yds away.

As wired as they were, it was a miracle they didn't shoot - color be damned.

As a very experienced hunter, I usually watch for a while and pick my shot. Its tough to teach that to a green hunter without close mentorship.

I also remember in the 70s, a NR hunter that shot a pack horse at less than 50 yds through the orange panniers. The packer was wearing an orange slicker.

These experiences have left me cautious to paranoid of riding or walking in the open. The orange vest law has diminished the accidents and now that we are used to it, I think things would get ugly if it went away. I have killed a lot of game at less than a 100 yds wearing one.

Deadfall

WKR
I dont mind the 400 inch orange requirement in montana.
Pretty tough to find an orange vest that isn't 400. Either way wardens are easy with it. Wear an orange vest.
I dont see what big deal is. I even strap orange to my pack