Montana (and other state) hunter orange laws out dated?

Alberta got rid of the orange law years ago, the number of incidents did not go up, and over time declined likely due to the hunter education requirement. Having been involved in a few investigations involving hunters being shot there tends to be a complete idiot factor to most of them. Like shooting 2 people on a quad because they thought it was a moose, lucky they survived but no way to understand what the shooter was seeing when he shot.

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
So I can’t specifically speak for the west as I’ve never hunted there but after 20 years I can definitely see the benefit here in PA.

It’s one of those things that doesn’t really hinder you in any fashion but generally makes everyone safer for it. I know I’ve had numerous times that orange has been the difference between unknowingly pointing my rifle in the direction of a person and not even picking it up because there was no safe shot due to seeing their orange.
100% would not hunt during rifle season without blaze orange in PA. In fact wouldn't go for a walk in the woods without it. A hunter was shot in the head a few years ago near our farm during the season.

Western hunting is somewhat different - more space, more visibility in some contexts (glassing from up high), often in areas where you are less likely to be on top of other hunters, but there's zero reason to object to it.

CMF

WKR
I think it should be required depending on the type of hunt/season/terrain. In general, don't think it should be required for most seasons.
Hunting muzzy elk in NM, we're not wearing it cause it's not required, tags are limited, hunter density is low and the terrain doesn't seem like there would be an issue.
Hunting National Forest in Mississippi during deer dog season, I'm wearing it, required or not, and I think it should be required when on the ground. I will take mine off during still hunt seasons if I'm up a tree, haven't been seeing anyone and the terrain is such that I'm not worried about being shot.
I like the "article of orange" vs X square inches as well...

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
I always wear a blaze orange dust mask and tyvek suit when in possible CWD country. Safety and health go hand in hand.
You can never be too safe, so they say!! I still think blaze orange is just as much for ole gamey as it is for you. It’s kinda like having your “location on” on your iPhone while you verify your e-license. No thanks, I will stick to the physical paper tag system as long as they will let me. I am a legal hunter who just wants the government to leave me the hell alone.

Last edited:
You can never be too safe, so they say!! I still think blaze orange is just as much for ole gamey as it is for you. It’s kinda like having your “location on” on your iPhone while you verify your e-license. No thanks, I will stick to the physical paper tag system as long as they will let me. I am a legal hunter who just wants the government to leave me the hell alone.
Well personal freedom isn’t all it’s cracked up to be Hurts other’s’ feelings and makes them feel unsafer and of course that’s my responsibility. Imagine if we allowed toilets to use more than 1.6 gallons per flush?!
Sarcasm aside (temporarily) I am not at all against anyone wearing blaze orange or neon lights or just their birthday suit while hunting. It’s the forcing of others, that’s all. It’s a shame that any American can’t seem to grasp that concept.

Yoder

WKR
I hunt in PA, close to the NY, NJ border. Here, you NEED orange. The woods is thick and the people from the city are stupid. In open western states I don't think it matters either way. I could maybe see asking for a hat.

Rich M

WKR
Wearing (orange or pink in some states) is not a big deal. Legal requirement here is 500 sq inches - pretty much a vest. Thinking they are stealing your freedom cause you need to be safe? LoL!

That bow hunter the ML hunter shot in CO would be alive today if he had orange on.

Not everyone pays attention to what they are shooting at.

You guys have had it easy for a long time. Too easy it seems.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
As someone who lives in a bit more crowded state. Monday starts turkey season here in NJ. I keep an orange hat and vest in my pack. If im moving, looking to strike a gobbler, i'll wear the orange hat. If successful, orange hat and vest over the turkeys body. Some 80+ percent of hunting accidents happen when no orange is required.

I hate people... and the fact I have to wear orange at all. When i hunt Vermont, I just wear a hat and feel safe. But way to many assholes in NJ/NY/PA just blind firing at movement.

Rule number 2 - know your target and beyond.

TSAMP

WKR
One item nobody is talking about is what type of orange.

How many guys prefer camo style orange patterns? I personally only run solids.

Required to wear an orange hat and vest when hunting with Rifle or ML here in OK. Archers hunting during same season has to have one or the other.

I like it, just so I know direction of another hunter. If I’m shooting a deer across a field on the timberline, I can be 100% sure of my target. But if a dude is in full camo against a tree along that line, he could be in my line of fire without me every knowing it.

For West Big Game hunting, I think an either/or scenario is best. But I don’t mind the vest requirement.

In OTC CO, I wouldn’t be caught outside in the backcountry without orange vest and hat during rifle season….