Money no object scope for a Fudd?

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
My brother in law has money to burn. He has hunted a lot back in the day, but he’s not a contemporary type shooter in anyway, more of a Fudd… definitely not a “gun guy”.

He has a Weatherby Mk5 257 mag that he tasked me to re-scope. Money is literally no object. I don’t want to put a mil/mil FFP scope on it because he would never learn to use it, or shoot to its potential.

What I am looking for is a reliable, alpha tier scope with a simple reticle (illuminated center dot preferred) and that can have custom turret made with yardage intervals. Application is general western big game, 500 yards tops (I would prefer he keeps its closer) but that is a parameter he set.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:

mustelid_master

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any personal experience with them, but I believe the S&B klasik would be your best bet. I am not aware of any manufacturers that make good scopes that also make custom ballistic turrets. You could do a leupold or a vortex, but this is the wrong forum for that.

Side note: If money is no object, get rid of the weatherby and get a tikka

OP
AZ_Hunter

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I don't have any personal experience with them, but I believe the S&B klasik would be your best bet. I am not aware of any manufacturers that make good scopes that also make custom ballistic turrets. You could do a leupold or a vortex, but this is the wrong forum for that.

Side note: If money is no object, get rid of the weatherby and get a tikka
I already said let’s get a new gun, but no, he likes the rifle (nostalgia) so I’m stuck with it.

I thought about the Klassik and Polar, but I don’t see custom turrets for it, which would make life easy for him.

mustelid_master

Lil-Rokslider
If I remember right, some of the swarovski z series have an option kinda like a custom turret, like preset drops. But I don't believe they have passed the drop test, so take that for what its worth. Leupold VX6 would be the easy button, but that is a four letter word around here...

Pdzoller

WKR
I wouldn’t get my friend a scope with a “custom yardage turret”. I’d tell them to learn to shoot first. Is he or are you going to chronograph the loads before getting the custom turret or just rely on what a box says?

Not trying to be mean but it sounds like he has no business taking shots over 300 (like most people) and to encourage it by buying him an “easy button” scope is irresponsible.

Get him the scope and teach him to shoot at a little further distance on targets and slowly up the difficulty. If money isn’t a factor then he should be able to afford the ammunition.

RWT

WKR
S&B Klassik 3x12x42 illuminated with a BDC style reticle. Have one and believe it is the easiest scope I have to get behind. It’s simple, functions well and you can obtain a custom elevation if needed from S&B for around $250 when you order it. Based on that chambering I doubt you would need the additional elevation as I can easily get to 500 yards with my 6.5 CM with the factory settings.
Set him up for MPBR.

I despise the illumination dial on the tube and prefer it in the turret housing. The Klassik illumination is on the Turret housing.

Oh and this one holds zero. Kinda of a requirement.

OP
AZ_Hunter

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I wouldn’t get my friend a scope with a “custom yardage turret”. I’d tell them to learn to shoot first. Is he or are you going to chronograph the loads before getting the custom turret or just rely on what a box says?

Not trying to be mean but it sounds like he has no business taking shots over 300 (like most people) and to encourage it by buying him an “easy button” scope is irresponsible.

Get him the scope and teach him to shoot at a little further distance on targets and slowly up the difficulty. If money isn’t a factor then he should be able to afford the ammunition.
It’s a totally fair question.

I will be mounting the scope and load testing which includes chrony for dope. He lives in a different state but will come out for final set up: I will adjust the final scope position to suit him, verify/adjust zero with him shooting, then will take him to my gun club to bang steel to teach him the turrets, this is why I want a simple range turret.

During that process I will evaluate, coach and encourage a range limitation based on what I see/how he performs.

He’s 60 years old… this is the best scenario I could get.

The alternative was him paying a gunsmith to set up the rifle, him going to an indoor 100 yard range, zeroing the rifle, and being done until he books a hunt somewhere.

I was said: F that, do this… and the resulting situation is the best compromise I could get.

I could be just be prejudice; I have only shot dove with him once, no rifle. Maybe he will get behind the rifle and I’ll be pleasantly surprised… but hope isn’t a strategy, so I’m not counting on that, and plan to coach heavily for the two days I have him.

OP
AZ_Hunter

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Sounds like he wants a Z8i
That was also a scope I considered but Swaro scopes get shit on here from a zero retention standpoint, so I don’t want to introduce that variable to the equation. Once I get him set up I want to be secure knowing that zero won’t drift.

OP
AZ_Hunter

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
S&B Klassik 3x12x42 illuminated with a BDC style reticle. Have one and believe it is the easiest scope I have to get behind. It’s simple, functions well and you can obtain a custom elevation if needed from S&B for around $250 when you order it. Based on that chambering I doubt you would need the additional elevation as I can easily get to 500 yards with my 6.5 CM with the factory settings.
Set him up for MPBR.

I despise the illumination dial on the tube and prefer it in the turret housing. The Klassik illumination is on the Turret housing.

Oh and this one holds zero. Kinda of a requirement.
Perfect. I didn’t know S&B had the turret as in option. Done.

Appreciate it.

Just another idea, you could use these and not need a custom turret. More work but might open up options for other scopes

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Weldor

WKR
Kenton makes turrets for a bunch of brand name optics, Huskemaw makes turrets for their own. I am sure there is some I missed.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
The Trijicon Accupoint 3-18x50 duplex with green dot was on my shortlist. Europtic has them for a pretty good price right now.