Model 70 Extreme Weather accuracy issues

I just purchased a European made Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather 30-06 . The barrel seems to be extremely picky as to what commercial ammunition it likes. It only seems to like Hornady 178 grain Precision Hunter Ammunition or Sierra 165 Grain Game Kings……. Pretty disappointed at its performance…
I have two other current manufacture Model 70s, an Alaskan and a Super Grade in 30-06 also and their accuracy is pretty consistent across the board.
Has anybody else had trouble with these Extreme Weather versions of the rifle, stainless steel barrels?

I have a model 70 extreme weather MB in .308 and have been pretty happy with its performance.

I can get around 1/2 MOA with 165 interlock handloads, but have gotten ~1 moa with multiple factory loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Did you torque down your action screws? I have one in 30-06 that I got back in 2016, it’s an incredibly accurate gun. I mostly shoot hand loads through it but it seems to stack pretty much anything I feed it.

Choupique

WKR
Mine is a solid 1.5 MOA rifle with anything I put in it. Mine doesn't seem to care at all. It's a BACO/Portugal ewss.

I'm inclined to think that if it shoots anything good, it's not really a rifle problem. If it's screwed up it shouldn't shoot anything good. Did some 10 shot groups to see if anything is really different?

RobDP

FNG
I have had several rifles like this. I feel like it is common for rifles to like one load over others. I also have some that are not picky. As long as they will shoot an acceptable load for the intended job at hand don’t worry. The 165g Gamekings should be pretty good for most medium sized game so that’s a positive! The 178g ELD-X should be a stellar load for larger game and for shooting steel out quite some distance. For me if it’ll shoot an SST or a Partition well I am confident that it’s going to do the job.

Rich M

WKR
I have a 1980’s model 70 SS. It shoots 150 sierra pro hunters at 2900 fps into an inch at 250 yds when i do my part. My problem is i like to flinch w that gun.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
If it shoots something we'll, it's harmonics. Action screws being torqued wrong, or bedding can drastically effect accuracy.

OP
M
I want to thank everyone for their response to my question….. Just to let you know I am returning the rifle to Winchester for warranty repair or replacement. I have never had a rifle like this and at 68 years old I have had many many rifles to include Sakos, Blazers, Winchesters, Brownings, and Remingtons. I had high hopes for this rifle but I believe it to be cursed by the Devil himself.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!