MN Pheasant Beginner

CAB

FNG
Next weekend is opening weekend for Pheasant here in MN and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for a new guy. Never had the chance to hunt Pheasant before so I'm pretty excited but I am going solo with no dog. I have used the Pheasant forever layer on Onxmaps to try and find some locations. I know the best hunting is the western part of the state but I'm currently in the twin city area. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Without a dog things get tough but not impossible. Without a dog and on foot focus on ditches, irrigation rows and dirt roadsides. They hang around theses areas more often than not. Without a dog, just walking thru a field would be a waste of time because they will likely just skirt around you without you even knowing they were there. Plan on putting some miles on! Get some good footwear and bring some water.

In mornings and evenings just driving around the dirt roads where you think they are and you can catch them on the sides of the road getting grit, not that I am saying to shoot ‘em out the window, but it will give you an idea of where they are hanging out at these times.

OP
CAB

CAB

FNG
Without a dog things get tough but not impossible. Without a dog and on foot focus on ditches, irrigation rows and dirt roadsides. They hang around theses areas more often than not. Without a dog, just walking thru a field would be a waste of time because they will likely just skirt around you without you even knowing they were there. Plan on putting some miles on! Get some good footwear and bring some water.

In mornings and evenings just driving around the dirt roads where you think they are and you can catch them on the sides of the road getting grit, not that I am saying to shoot ‘em out the window, but it will give you an idea of where they are hanging out at these times.
Great tips. I do know a few gated roads I could work looking for them.

kpk

WKR
Walk in a pretty big zig zag effectively acting like a few guys. Try to push the birds to an area where they'll eventually be forced to fly if you can.

My dad and uncle also taught me to stop frequently and remain still for a couple minutes. It seems like when the birds lose track of where you're at they get nervous and will fly.

Not sure what the laws are in MN, but in IA it's perfectly legal to road hunt ditches and even 2 lane blacktops. When I was a boy, and until i was out of college and had the time to train up a dog, 75% of my bird hunting was road hunting. The other 25% was walking fenclines, sloughs, and rail road tracks (while it was legal). I never paid any attention to large public areas, because solo on foot it was an exercise in futility 99% of the time.

Check the regs in MN, and if road hunting is legal, focus on back country roads in the morning and evening when the birds typically get their grit (gravel). When one is spotted, mark the spot in your head (count poles, is there a bush or tree present, etc...) and continue driving over the hill and turn around. The next steps depend on the regs as well.

In IA, with a concealed carry license, I can drive around with an uncased and loaded shotgun. However, I don't recommend having one in the chamber when road hunting. Since you're new to hunting, let's assume in MN you CAN'T have a loaded shotgun in the vehicle. In this case, after you turn around, proceed to where you saw the bird and park roughly 50 yards short of where you last saw him. Hop out, load your gun, chamber a round, and (depending on the regs) walk down the road or in the ditch until you (hopefully) flush the bird.

Assuming you drop the bird, if it lands in the field, make sure you know the trespassing regs. in MN. In IA, you have permission to retrieve the bird, even on posted ground, without a weapon. This differs state by state. Along these lines, although land owners in IA own the ground to the middle of the road, the ditches are considered public right of ways for hunting. As such they are legal to hunt even if the field is posted.

After you get the bird, unload your shotgun, double check the chamber, and look for another bird.

Its critical that you understand the regs in MN. One thing I forgot to mention is that in IA you cannot shoot within 200 yards of private property or livestock without permission. If a similar rule exists in MN, it's crucial you understand it as well.

My dad and uncle also taught me to stop frequently and remain still for a couple minutes. It seems like when the birds lose track of where you're at they get nervous and will fly.
I’m not a bird hunter but this is definitely true. I’ve been out with my kid the last couple of weekends and it’s crazy how many times a bird will get up fairly close after we stop for 10-15 seconds.

Going pheasant hunting without a dog is kinda like going ice fishing without a vexilar.

I'm from MN, I dont get too excited about pheasants until the cattail swamps are frozen then its game on! You will see a lot of hunters out this weekend so finding a place to go might be a little troublesome and not having a dog will be a big issue for you but you might get lucky. Just walk real slow and like was said above, stop for a minute every once in a while, it is true they will get nervous.

Reactions: CAB
OP
CAB

CAB

FNG
Going pheasant hunting without a dog is kinda like going ice fishing without a vexilar.

I'm from MN, I dont get too excited about pheasants until the cattail swamps are frozen then its game on! You will see a lot of hunters out this weekend so finding a place to go might be a little troublesome and not having a dog will be a big issue for you but you might get lucky. Just walk real slow and like was said above, stop for a minute every once in a while, it is true they will get nervous.
From the sounds of it from this thread I might wait a little till there is some snow on the ground. Maybe it's off to the grouse woods again for me.

Not sure what the laws are in MN, but in IA it's perfectly legal to road hunt ditches and even 2 lane blacktops. When I was a boy, and until i was out of college and had the time to train up a dog, 75% of my bird hunting was road hunting. The other 25% was walking fenclines, sloughs, and rail road tracks (while it was legal). I never paid any attention to large public areas, because solo on foot it was an exercise in futility 99% of the time.

Check the regs in MN, and if road hunting is legal, focus on back country roads in the morning and evening when the birds typically get their grit (gravel). When one is spotted, mark the spot in your head (count poles, is there a bush or tree present, etc...) and continue driving over the hill and turn around. The next steps depend on the regs as well.

In IA, with a concealed carry license, I can drive around with an uncased and loaded shotgun. However, I don't recommend having one in the chamber when road hunting. Since you're new to hunting, let's assume in MN you CAN'T have a loaded shotgun in the vehicle. In this case, after you turn around, proceed to where you saw the bird and park roughly 50 yards short of where you last saw him. Hop out, load your gun, chamber a round, and (depending on the regs) walk down the road or in the ditch until you (hopefully) flush the bird.

Assuming you drop the bird, if it lands in the field, make sure you know the trespassing regs. in MN. In IA, you have permission to retrieve the bird, even on posted ground, without a weapon. This differs state by state. Along these lines, although land owners in IA own the ground to the middle of the road, the ditches are considered public right of ways for hunting. As such they are legal to hunt even if the field is posted.

After you get the bird, unload your shotgun, double check the chamber, and look for another bird.

Its critical that you understand the regs in MN. One thing I forgot to mention is that in IA you cannot shoot within 200 yards of private property or livestock without permission. If a similar rule exists in MN, it's crucial you understand it as well.
That is a very nuanced statement, especially for iowa.

If you know it well, that's fine, many don't and shouldn't be advised that ditch hunting is "100% legal" as it's not.

That is a very nuanced statement, especially for iowa.

If you know it well, that's fine, many don't and shouldn't be advised that ditch hunting is "100% legal" as it's not.
Please explain your comment. I intended no nuance. I've lived and hunted pheasants in Iowa my entire life and ditch hunting is 100% legal.

Please see the attached straight out of the regs. The only ditches that are not public are on private lanes or roads, which should be a no-brainer. If you re-read my post I also emphasized multiple times that the OP should consult the MN regs.

Attachments

• ADF445C6-174C-4DEF-8047-8BA581C6CAEA.jpeg
    ADF445C6-174C-4DEF-8047-8BA581C6CAEA.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 20
Please explain your comment. I intended no nuance. I've lived and hunted pheasants in Iowa my entire life and ditch hunting is 100% legal.

Please see the attached straight out of the regs. The only ditches that are not public are on private lanes or roads, which should be a no-brainer. If you re-read my post I also emphasized multiple times that the OP should consult the MN regs.
well, not nearly as nuanced, but more of a "cya" statement on the nuanced nature. i agree to check mn regs.

1665495195639.png
1665495222415.png

yes, its 100% legal. by and large though, people will hear/read "road hunting is legal" and stop there. it needs noted that nuances do exist regarding it, and people need to know those nuances.

I myself have done much the same, and had to educated a DNR officer (green) and a sheriff (seasoned) that both what i was doing and the manner in which was legal. was it worth the time wasted, no. is it worth fighting it to not let it go by the wayside, yes.

then of course, since we all know someone like this, theres the guy who will ditch hunt only to 'excuse' his private land shot or otherwise illegal shot.

thats truly the headache we face as hunters. nuances, rules and regs, exceptions and changes, stigmas and 'fears', allegations.

to go on a short (edit: long) diatribe, this past winter, i lodged at backbone, the south end of it. threw my pack on, shotgun strapped to my pack and hiked through backbone park to the state forest section open for hunting on the north end. what i was doing was 100% legal. i knew the boundaries of both the state forest, the park, what was and was not allowed.

did that stop the 2 cross country skiing gals from calling the sheriff department who then called the dnr, who then met me where the trail meets the county road running through the park, to check my id, license, ammunition (the complaint was i was 'deer hunting'), waste north of an hour of time

i was not 'brandishing', as i fought with the sheriff i was not 'deer hunting' as i defended myself from the dnr, i had the proper amount of blaze orange on per the game i was hunting, had my papers in order.

how many young/new/adventurous hunters in iowa read more than 'its legal' to be in the right and confident to stand their ground when an interaction does occur?

i say this, because sheriffs dont care about the regs and not all dnr know the regs, and neither like when they are told they are wrong or when they know you dont care about their authority on the matter. they are not their to defend you, they are there to check you out. you are there to hunt and enjoy.
-------------------------
if you want some fun, try coyote or fox hunting public land during deer season and arrive at 3pm. walk in with a rifle as others are leaving. or tell the dnr you hunt deer, in iowa, with a .223,243,2506,6creed,6.5, 7-08, 7 mag, 270, 3006, 30-30, anything under ".35" caliber. all which is 100% legal, but with nuances.

well, not nearly as nuanced, but more of a "cya" statement on the nuanced nature. i agree to check mn regs.

View attachment 462241
View attachment 462242

yes, its 100% legal. by and large though, people will hear/read "road hunting is legal" and stop there. it needs noted that nuances do exist regarding it, and people need to know those nuances.

I myself have done much the same, and had to educated a DNR officer (green) and a sheriff (seasoned) that both what i was doing and the manner in which was legal. was it worth the time wasted, no. is it worth fighting it to not let it go by the wayside, yes.

then of course, since we all know someone like this, theres the guy who will ditch hunt only to 'excuse' his private land shot or otherwise illegal shot.

thats truly the headache we face as hunters. nuances, rules and regs, exceptions and changes, stigmas and 'fears', allegations.

to go on a short (edit: long) diatribe, this past winter, i lodged at backbone, the south end of it. threw my pack on, shotgun strapped to my pack and hiked through backbone park to the state forest section open for hunting on the north end. what i was doing was 100% legal. i knew the boundaries of both the state forest, the park, what was and was not allowed.

did that stop the 2 cross country skiing gals from calling the sheriff department who then called the dnr, who then met me where the trail meets the county road running through the park, to check my id, license, ammunition (the complaint was i was 'deer hunting'), waste north of an hour of time

i was not 'brandishing', as i fought with the sheriff i was not 'deer hunting' as i defended myself from the dnr, i had the proper amount of blaze orange on per the game i was hunting, had my papers in order.

how many young/new/adventurous hunters in iowa read more than 'its legal' to be in the right and confident to stand their ground when an interaction does occur?

i say this, because sheriffs dont care about the regs and not all dnr know the regs, and neither like when they are told they are wrong or when they know you dont care about their authority on the matter. they are not their to defend you, they are there to check you out. you are there to hunt and enjoy.
if you want some fun, try coyote or fox hunting public land during deer season and arrive at 3pm. walk in with a rifle as others are leaving. or tell the dnr you hunt deer, in iowa, with a .223,243,2506,6creed,6.5, 7-08, 7 mag, 270, 3006, 30-30, anything under ".35" caliber. all which is 100% legal, but with nuances.
Thank you for sharing and we're on the same page. Your experience inside the park reminds me of a few youtube videos I've watched lately of professional fishermen getting turned in to LE and DNR by "Kyles" and "Karens" that believed they were trespassing on public water.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that you made me laugh on the whole predator vs. deer hunting double standard in our great state. We've been hunting coyotes around here with almost every manner of high power for decades, with most guys transitioning to ARs the last 10 years or so. However, you can't use rifles for deer hunting unless .35 or bigger. But wait, my .35 Whelen was formerly one of the best rounds for all big game in North America before being outshined by other sexier, skinnier bullets. SMH...

Thank you for sharing and we're on the same page. Your experience inside the park reminds me of a few youtube videos I've watched lately of professional fishermen getting turned in to LE and DNR by "Kyles" and "Karens" that believed they were trespassing on public water.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that you made me laugh on the whole predator vs. deer hunting double standard in our great state. We've been hunting coyotes around here with almost every manner of high power for decades, with most guys transitioning to ARs the last 10 years or so. However, you can't use rifles for deer hunting unless .35 or bigger. But wait, my .35 Whelen was formerly one of the best rounds for all big game in North America before being outshined by other sexier, skinnier bullets. SMH...
yup, the .35 standard is asinine. 35 whelen is ballistically just enough to kill a deer per iowa, but not a 30-06,325wsm, 338, but a 20gauge is a-ok as well as a .35+500ftlb at muzzle. head out west, whats the minimum?

i hunt deer in iowa with under .35, but only during allowed seasons (excess tag and pop mgmt seasons).

yup, the .35 standard is asinine. 35 whelen is ballistically just enough to kill a deer per iowa, but not a 30-06,325wsm, 338, but a 20gauge is a-ok as well as a .35+500ftlb at muzzle. head out west, whats the minimum?

i hunt deer in iowa with under .35, but only during allowed seasons (excess tag and pop mgmt seasons).
If I recall, the argument wasn't about minimum ballistics per se, but rather the trajectory and distance high powered rounds can travel. Since Iowa is so "flat" they didnt want the rounds speeding off to unseen and unwary targets. An argument completely contradicted by allowing high powers during predator hunting seasons. Sure you don't have the pumpkin parades hunting yotes and foxes, dozens in the field at a time, but it still doesn't make sense.

Ask anybody that has ridden Ragbrai how flat this state is. North Central is pretty much it with the rest of the state slightly to moderately rolling and very rolling and steep on the borders.

If I recall, the argument wasn't about minimum ballistics per se, but rather the trajectory and distance high powered rounds can travel. Since Iowa is so "flat" they didnt want the rounds speeding off to unseen and unwary targets. An argument completely contradicted by allowing high powers during predator hunting seasons. Sure you don't have the pumpkin parades hunting yotes and foxes, dozens in the field at a time, but it still doesn't make sense.

Ask anybody that has ridden Ragbrai how flat this state is. North Central is pretty much it with the rest of the state slightly to moderately rolling and very rolling and steep on the borders.
1665504428544.png
iowa-"A-okay!"

1665504480514.png
iowa-"youll kill a busload of nuns the county over!!!!"

1665504547269.png
iowa-"dont even think about it!"
unless its predators, small game, population management deer or excess tags deer.

Scottyboy

WKR
Head down to caribou in le suer at some point. Yea, it’s a game farm but their rates are decent and you will get birds. New hunter, no dog, in Minnesota you will basically be taking your shotgun for a walk.

Not trying to be “that guy” but the bird population is horrendous at best anywhere near the metro and you will most likely get discouraged from ever trying again. My .02, go to caribou for the experience or find a buddy or 2 and head to South Dakota..

OP
CAB

CAB

FNG
Head down to caribou in le suer at some point. Yea, it’s a game farm but their rates are decent and you will get birds. New hunter, no dog, in Minnesota you will basically be taking your shotgun for a walk.

Not trying to be “that guy” but the bird population is horrendous at best anywhere near the metro and you will most likely get discouraged from ever trying again. My .02, go to caribou for the experience or find a buddy or 2 and head to South Dakota..
I appreciate the honesty! yea I have put this idea on hold for sure and might give it a try if there is some snow on the ground and I just want to take a walk when there isn't any other hunting going on.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
You can 100% kill pheasants hunting solo without a dog!

Focus on thin strips of cover, and if you have to hunt bigger pieces, focus on edge habitat (shorter grass to taller grass, grass to cattails, grass to crops etc.) Brushy fence rows and terraces in crop fields will be your best bet.

Zig zag, vary your walking speed, and even stop for a moment occasionally.

All that said, I don't know what populations look like near the Cities, if I were you, I'd drive South and/or SW.