MKC Alternative

Seconded on Argali Serac - very sharp on delivery and I find I can get traction with a variety of grip angles

I have both a MKC and a benchmade, both are great knives. MKC has a great program with the drops (I do not participate in them) but it allows them to sell what they make quickly instead of having a multiple knives on back order for an indertermined amount of time.

Following this as well. Even though MKC is local to me there's no way I'm playing that drop game. I joined an MKC Facebook group and had to bail quickly. The fanboyism with those guys is the stuff of legends.

I bought a Benchmade Hidden Canyon hunter last year and used it on a couple of deer. Insanely well designed blade shape and held an edge wonderfully. Also, easy to buy anywhere.
Plus 1 for the Hidden Canyon Hunter. Really like that knife.

A high quality custom made knife can often be bought for similar money as some of the knives being discussed.
Educate yourself on the good steel and go to a knife makers show. Beware of the 'knife kit assemblers' that frequent a lot of gun shows with cheap steel. Find a makerusing the higher quality steel and either buy one you like that he has in stock or order one to your own specs. That makes a super quality knife that you can use hard and pass down in your family.

It really depends on what you are looking for. Does spine thickness matter to you? Does steel? Does handle material? Does blade shape?

Benchmade has some nice knives, but I don't like any of the steels they use (having used them and been disappointed). But, only the Magnacut is better in MKCs offerings from a steel perspective.

White River makes some nice knives in Magnacut, but there spine is too thick for my liking.

Grohmann Cannadian Belt knife is a great shape, but they don't specify the stainless steel used (I'm in a costal environment, so for me stainless is important, if I lived in ID/MT/WY it would not be).

North Arm Knives are Magnacut with a great spine thickness, but the over all shape is not to my liking.

Survive Knives has great looking knives, but the company is run horribly and your 3 month quoted lead time might turn into 5 years and they never respond to calls/emails.

For me, the MKC Jackstone comes the closest to matching what I want after a little grinding and file work. If I could get a Magnacut Grohmann and a Magnacut Benchmade Flyaway I would be very happy, but neither exist.

I have been using a bench made altitude for 6 years and I’m very happy with it. Can easily do a whole elk without needing to sharpen. It and it’s shockingly comfortable. I can’t imagine using a knife with paradors or it as it would just get gross.

I also carry an outdoor edge that can have the blades replaced just in case but much prefer the fixed blade.

I have been using a bench made altitude for 6 years and I’m very happy with it. Can easily do a whole elk without needing to sharpen. It and it’s shockingly comfortable. I can’t imagine using a knife with paradors or it as it would just get gross.

I also carry an outdoor edge that can have the blades replaced just in case but much prefer the fixed blade.
I will add to this that seeing the current price of the bench made made a my jaw drop. I think I got mine for $100 at a show special and it also gave me a raffle ticket to win a rifle that I won. I’m not sure if I can say any knife is worth $300.

I picked up one of these on a whim last year. I think I paid 149. I was pretty impressed by the factory edge. Broke down a blacktail with it last fall and it held up great. I’m a fan of M4, but it’s not for everyone.

Back