Mitts for arctic snowmobile trip

dwills

Lil-Rokslider
I have a snowmobile hunt planned for early December in Alaska. Can someone point me in the direction of a good pair of mitts for arctic conditions? Do i need heated or no? Completely new to these frigid temps admittedly. I was thinking I’d wear my Peleton gloves underneath.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I use klim snowmobile gloves for all my snow machine rides. I keep a pair of cabelas down mitts in my tunnel bag just in case though.

Get some gloves made for snow machining, klim, fxr, 509 etc. being comfortable and getting a good grip riding is important, you’ll have plenty of time to slip a glove off before shooting. Also, not sure how much snow machining you’ve done but they have heated handlebars and lots of them these days have cowlings or gauntlets on them that keep the wind off your hands.

If the machine has gauntlets on it you don’t even really need gloves.

zpearo

Lil-Rokslider
I have a brand new pair of Black Diamond Guide gauntlets that I've been meaning to post for sale. They're the warmest glove BD makes, and fully waterproof. The insulated inner liner is removable from the outer waterproof gauntlet too, to make it easier to dry any sweat at the end of the day.

Cost $180 new, would like to get $100 for them. I'm attaching a couple pics. Let me know if you're interested in them.

Attachments

• 20241015_211546.jpg
    20241015_211546.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20241015_211623.jpg
    20241015_211623.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 11

z987k

WKR
Gloves work when it's not that cold out.

Mittens are for when you really need to be warm. Run them with a glove liner.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Only way to go for warm hands on a cold snowmachine trip is Apocalypse Design "toasties". They are heavy duty mitts that mount on the handlebars. With the grip heaters on they work better than any regular mitten.

I wear light insulted gloves under them. Key is to not crank the handlebar heaters or your hands will sweat and get cold so make sure to regulate the temp depending on temps. And take extra pairs of your lighter weight gloves so when you do sweat a little as the day goes on you can put on a dry pair. I do keep a pair of beaver gauntlets in my survival bag in case the machine shits the bed and I gotta walk.

I run about 100 miles of trapline above the arctic circle so needless to say I get some cold temps. Average is between -20 to -30F and often enough -40. Much colder than that and I stay home and catch up on skinning! This is by far the best system I've come up with.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely get some gauntlets for the machine. With the gauntlets and the hand/thumb warmers on the machine all you need is decent winter gloves. The gauntlets keep the wind off your hands and keep the heat in while riding - that's key. I use gauntlets and these winter work gloves. Mittens are good to have. Get leather mittens large enough that you can wear a light/medium pair of fleece gloves or Mechanics gloves inside. You need the mittens for warmth but you will still have light gloves when you need dexterity - layering. Better have a 2 or 3 pair of DRY gloves on hand in case you need them. Put some waterproofing on the leather mitts and gloves.

https://www.amazon.com/1927KW-XL-1-...0&psc=1&mcid=d652efe251c8334d82be00e4bfd79368

FDme

FNG
I had been looking for a cold weather setup since a -30F trip to BC a few years ago. Found some army surplus Outdoor Research mitts from Sportsman’s Guide and paired them with some thinsulate puffy gloves. Total cost $65 and they’re toasty warm. Not sure if those will work for your trip, but way less expensive than most of the commercially available stuff I was finding.