Missouri River breaks archery

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
Who's hunted the Breaks since they went to a limited quota? I know that it used to be pretty crowded, but I haven't really heard from anyone who's been there recently. Myself and 2 buddies are headed out there in early Oct with one cow tag, 3 deer tags and 2 antelope tags. Mostly wondering if there is a camp at every pull off or if some solitude is achievable. None of us have ever been there, so we'd be happy with any advice. I'm looking forward to hunting a different terrain and seeing the Breaks.

Thanks!

Logan T

WKR
It is still pretty crowded. There were camps at just about every turn off last year all through hunting season. At least in my area.... I moved up here last June.

Be aware of the rain. We have had a ton of it-over 20" since May in my area. If you see a storm coming, your not going to go anywhere in the gumbo. Try to stay parked along a good road if there is weather in the forecast. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expect hunters everywhere. Expect to have a bull that you've spotted and stalked to be stalked by other hunters as well. Be prepared to deal with mosquitoes - even in October.
Just like Logan said above, expect camps at every little pullout. Depending on where you go, the elk are very wise to calls.

Watch the weather. The gumbo is real.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

PJG

WKR
I agree with all the above, but don't let the hunters discourage you. Hunt hard and behind the glass and you'll be into elk everyday. Have real expectations and just don't assume 350"+ or bust and you'll have a good experience. Be willing to put a ton of miles on the foot each day. Yes you will run into other people, you will have people bumping the same elk your going after, but on the flip side you'll see some big bulls, in some cases you might even see some over 380".

Don't expect to have any luck with calling. Also, be prepared for the clover, in some areas this weed can be really really bad and make stalking a nightmare. Some years it's worse than others. You'll know it when you see it, it's a tall match stick type weed.

The gumbo is real. If you are walking in it be prepared to add an extra ten pounds to the bottom of your boots. You'll see pieces that have been stuck to bottom of an elk hoof that's 10" long, crazy crazy mud that's a nightmare.

Make sure to have plenty and I mean plenty of clean drinking water in camp, and watch out for the snakes and the spiders. I'm not a big fan of spiders and I've seen some dandies in the breaks.

Last edited:

Logan T

WKR
MT bowhunter mentioned the mosquitos.... I don't know how I forgot about them. They are bad this year with all the rain we have got. Deer flies too.

Since you won't be chasing bull elk, I would focus on the deer, and I'm sure you will find elk and a couple antelope in the meantime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was in there last weekend scouting... already blinds on many of the ponds that you can see from the road. There will be camps and people everywhere from the 3rd till the season is over. Even though it is limited quota there are still 1900 archery either sex tags for the south area alone. Don't worry too much about it... there are TONS of elk and if you work hard you will get in them.

Few tips....

The mud is real. Please, do not take it for granted. I grew up in wyoming thinking i knew what bad mud was... i knew nothing. I have seem multiple people stranded, stuck, and burn up engines and transmissions. Get chains, make sure they fit, being shovels... and get the hell out if it rains. I have had to leave my camper in there because i couldnt get it out for the last 2 years. It does not take much... supposed to be a huge storm moving in this week that will saturate the ground. There were already puddles in the roads last weekend, once the ground is wet... a few drops can make it impassable.

Leave the calls in camp... seriously, even spikes and raghorns will turn tail at cow calls. A fog horn would be more effective than a hoochie mama.

Bug spray, treatments, and netting is a must.

Bring water, its hot and dry. That said, there are ponds everywhere so pretty much anywhere out there will hold game.

Dont listen to what people say.... they are NOT just down in the river, the rut is NOT late, the big bulls are NOT all dead... I have heard it all from guys that refuse to get off the road and actually hunt.

Dont listen when guys tell you where and where not they have been seeing game... its all a lie hahahahahaha

If you run into a red f250 with a big black bumper stop and say hello, I'll tell you where ive been seeing game ;)

Joe

OP
G

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone, it's all helpful. I plan to target deer, with the cow elk and goat tags "incidental". We will be off the road as much as possible. I'm used to mountain timber hunting where water can be had with ease, so from what I hear this will be our limiting factor to staying away from base camp. Are the ponds that are out there too dirty to filter/treat and drink from?

I have no intention of even taking calls along with.

Anyone have the name/number of a game processor in the north Breaks area? With that many tags, I'd like to have a place to take something where it can hang/cool so I can keep hunting.

hobbes

WKR
I'm not sure where exactly you'll be, but I've used Treasure Trail Game Processing in Glasgow, MT once last year. I don't normally use a processor, but was on a pheasant hunt and not fully prepared to haul meat around while we chased roosters in the area after I took my son to kill a youth season whitetail. I hated to spend the cash, but I paid $60 to have the deer skinned, all meat deboned, vacuum sealed and frozen for pick up the following week. He froze the loins separately so I could thaw the rest of the meat for grinding. The number is (406) 228-9011.

I believe there is a place in Malta also and probably several more that I'm unaware of.

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Goober, I know a few game processors in Malta, MT on the north side of the river. PM me if you'd like their contact info.