Missouri Breaks Mule Deer

WCB

WKR
We were planning to bring it with a little fire wood and 55gal drums of water that we could fill up before we get there for cooking and cleaning.
Might want to check on the regulations about hauling firewood might get pinched on that one.

OP
Plowboy85

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a good point, we didn’t think about that. Thank you sir

Harvey_NW

WKR
A mapping tip I forgot about and learned the frustrating way, lots of areas in the breaks are BLM and in MT if it's a 2 track you can drive it as long as you're not tearing them up while doing it. A lot of these 2 tracks are not lined out as roads or skid roads on mapping systems, you have to zoom in to be able to actually see them. So if you map out a big multi-mile hike to get away from the main roads, do some in depth looking to make sure there's not 2 tracks in there where some dude in a RZR will go ripping down the draw you're coming up on at about mile 4 of your exciting day plan..

A mapping tip I forgot about and learned the frustrating way, lots of areas in the breaks are BLM and in MT if it's a 2 track you can drive it as long as you're not tearing them up while doing it. A lot of these 2 tracks are not lined out as roads or skid roads on mapping systems, you have to zoom in to be able to actually see them. So if you map out a big multi-mile hike to get away from the main roads, do some in depth looking to make sure there's not 2 tracks in there where some dude in a RZR will go ripping down the draw you're coming up on at about mile 4 of your exciting day plan..
Just want to make sure I got this correct. On BLM in MT, if there's a two track I can drive on it so long as it's not doing damage?

What about crossing private land to said BLM or state land on the two track? Or does the road need to be a county or state maintained road in order to be able to do that?

Legend

WKR
Just want to make sure I got this correct. On BLM in MT, if there's a two track I can drive on it so long as it's not doing damage?

What about crossing private land to said BLM or state land on the two track? Or does the road need to be a county or state maintained road in order to be able to do that?
Ummmm....the BLM disagrees. It is only legal to drive the roads that are on the BLM map and labeled as open for motor vehicles. However, there are more rednecks than BLM officers so it is a bit of a free for all in places when it comes to two track roads.

MT257

WKR

private land will need permission unless its a county road. No driving off on state unless there is an establish road going through section such as county road.

Legend

WKR
Yep.... I agree. Which explains all the little fiberglass signs broken off close to the ground. Thus, in order to determine which roads are open you need the travel map for the area that shows which roads are legal to drive.

Again, people in eastern momtana have a general phobia for walking. So expect someone to drive everything that looks possible to drive.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
private land will need permission unless its a county road. No driving off on state unless there is an establish road going through section such as county road.
Legally on DNRC lands the only roads that are open are county maintained roads or highways. Two tracks on DNRC are technically closed unless they are signed/designated as open.

It's been a few years back now but we hunted near the Ft. Peck reservoir near Jordan Montana. We saw lots of bucks early into our hunt then it warmed up and it got tough. Lots of bucks in the 140" to 150" class.

carlc

Lil-Rokslider
All of the above- lots of general units, a rifle season that goes through the entire rut, and the majority of people shoot young bucks. I honestly don’t want to see the long season go away, I prefer having as much time as we do to hunt, and hunt every year. I would like to see a point restriction put into effect, which I think would help to some extent. No sign of that anytime soon.
My father and I have gone to multiple commissioner meetings in Helena, with the sole intent of a conversation on a point restriction, with some limits. There is absolutely no interest from fwp in it. Its very frustrating that they implemented the brow tine bull rule in the 80s in most hunting districts, with great success, but wont consider it on mule deer. I think a three point or better rule in most districts would really increase the quality of deer.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
My father and I have gone to multiple commissioner meetings in Helena, with the sole intent of a conversation on a point restriction, with some limits. There is absolutely no interest from fwp in it. Its very frustrating that they implemented the brow tine bull rule in the 80s in most hunting districts, with great success, but wont consider it on mule deer. I think a three point or better rule in most districts would really increase the quality of deer.
Curious what your main reason behind a point restriction would be? Also, interested on your knowledge of the intended output of such a restriction and its actual impact on the herd a few years and more after implementation (point restrictions have been used at different points in time all across the west for almost as long a managed hunting has been occurring). If they were so effective on both, a short and long temporal scale, as well as on a large spatial scale why are they not wide spread throughout the western states still?

Curious about your knowledge about range conditions, sex ratios, harvest metrics (average age of harvest and average points per side), landownership by HD, and more in any given area that you would want antler point restrictions (APR) implemented.

Elk APR are very different from deer and their outcomes.

I would just like to know your biological reasoning and justification behind APR without the standard "all I see is two points in the back of everyone's pickup".

carlc

Lil-Rokslider
Curious what your main reason behind a point restriction would be? Also, interested on your knowledge of the intended output of such a restriction and its actual impact on the herd a few years and more after implementation (point restrictions have been used at different points in time all across the west for almost as long a managed hunting has been occurring). If they were so effective on both, a short and long temporal scale, as well as on a large spatial scale why are they not wide spread throughout the western states still?

Curious about your knowledge about range conditions, sex ratios, harvest metrics (average age of harvest and average points per side), landownership by HD, and more in any given area that you would want antler point restrictions (APR) implemented.

Elk APR are very different from deer and their outcomes.

I would just like to know your biological reasoning and justification behind APR without the standard "all I see is two points in the back of everyone's pickup".
I guessed I missed the section in the forum rules requiring a biology degree to post my opinion? Maybe a point restriction isnt what it would take, but it would sure be nice to figure something out to get some older aged bucks around again. I hunt all over the state, usually 30-40 days per year, and can tell you that in my 20 years of hunting, the quality has taken a strong nose dive. I killed a nice 180 when I was 15, and a few decent 160s in the years past, but nothing even close since then. All general tag, public. All being said in my humble, non degree carrying opinion, of course! 😉😉

MT257

WKR
I guessed I missed the section in the forum rules requiring a biology degree to post my opinion? Maybe a point restriction isnt what it would take, but it would sure be nice to figure something out to get some older aged bucks around again. I hunt all over the state, usually 30-40 days per year, and can tell you that in my 20 years of hunting, the quality has taken a strong nose dive. I killed a nice 180 when I was 15, and a few decent 160s in the years past, but nothing even close since then. All general tag, public. All being said in my humble, non degree carrying opinion, of course! 😉😉
I don't think a point restriction would be best, because everyone who just wants to go out and whack a deer will then whack the first 3 point they see. What about those large 2 points? I think and this is my opinion only that we in Montana need to accept the fact that the population is growing and come up with a solution that would more or less make those who do have a tag when they buy it state this is the district they will hunt for deer in. I don't think a general tag being able to hunt from one corner of the state to the other is the answer because those in NW MT have unlce Joe come spend a week hunting there and they dont fill the tag, then turn around and head to the opposite side of the state and whack a 2.5 year old deer because they think he is mature because they don't allow deer to get that big at home. I also wouldn't mind seeing residents having to draw for a deer tag. At some point this will need to be addressed or we won't have a huntable population.

One time drove about 6 miles in the Breaks after some rain and snow. I swear to you, if "forward" was defined as the direction directly in front of the windshield, we were only headed forward about 20% of the time. Six miles of fish tailing and bouncing between the road edges. We were probably lucky to maintain momentum all that way. I'm now educated enough to never do that again.

WCB

WKR
Just stop hunting them during the rut. Close Mule Deer season down first week of November that would fix a lot of the issue. Make residents and non residents choose do you want to hunt them with a bow or do you want to hunt with a rifle? Also have defined units...even if it is 5 or 6 for the whole state, and make people choose a unit and stick to it.

I honestly do not see that many forks and spikes shot...I know it happens but I see a TON more young 3 pts and 4 pts shot so IMO point restrictions won't work.

One nice thing about people thinking MT can only produce 140-150" bucks is that is what they shoot and they leave the bigger bucks for me. Just have to know where to find them.