Mississippi Opening Day Success

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
March 15, 2023

Copiah County, MS

It was an opening morning you dream of. 38 degrees, clear skies, and calm.

I parked my truck on a gravel road a half mile from where I wanted to listen, a small food plot on top of a hill with big steep oaks to the north and 15-year-old pines to the south. This area has historically produced lots of turkeys. Great food, roost trees, and nesting habitat.

I get to the plot in grey light, 10 or so minutes before legal shooting time. Stand quietly on the edge for a few minutes to listen to the woods wake up.

Who cooks for you, who cooks for you alllllll……. Gobble gobble

Turkey sounds off about 200 yards into the oaks. I hit the trail and did my best to sneak in. I take a hilltop finger into the oak bottom and sit down. Sounds like at least two birds gobbling on the roost.

A few soft yelps with no response from these birds, but I get a gobble from another bird back behind me, a few ridges over. Decisions decisions. I sat tight and listened. 10 minutes later, I yelp again. The bird behind me gobbles and a hen in front of me yelps. Turkeys in front of me gobble to her. Turkey behind me gobbles too. As she yelps, I can tell that she is taking the boys the other way.

I made the decision that I am going to go after the one behind me. Back out, down the trail, I set up on a tree below the ridge and call. Gobble! Unfortunately, this bird is now headed towards where the others were going. I head back to where I started the morning. Butt to ground, yelp on the slate, put the call back in my vest. As soon as I look up, I see black coming through the brush. He disappears behind a big pine; I shift my weight and point the barrel of my shotgun that direction. He emerges from the tree, I see the short stubby Jake beard. This youngen walks past me within 10 yards, looking for love. He passes and I wait another 20 min without any more birds coming by. I continued to hear birds gobbling in the direction they took off in the morning but that all stopped by 9:30.

I did some more walking and calling all morning without hearing any responses.

Back to the camp ~12:30 for a sandwich and to regroup with my dad, talking about the morning.

2:00 I am back in the woods again. I drove the truck around to the other side and decided to walk slowly and call quietly until I got to where I heard the birds in the morning. Almost immediately, I spook 3 hens. They took off running but not putting.

I cross a small creek and crest the hill following an old firebreak. I let out 3 easy clucks on the slate and could have sword I heard drumming. Same 3 clucks and yep, no doubt about it, there is a bird drumming and he is close! I look around for a spot to sit. Lots of very small pines and gum trees. No good shade but I don’t have time to fine a prime spot. I sit with my back to a cluster of 3 little gum trees with some broken light and shade.

Cluck cluck cluck yelp yelp…. Drum

Drum drum drum

I scratch in the leaves and call with a quick but excited yelp. He hammers back and he is extremely close. In range but I can not see him.

I wait with my barrel pointed to where I think he will emerge. This seems like forever but more than likely only 5 minutes. Then boom, he’s standing there at 20 yards, just to the right of my aim point, looking directly at me. I feel like I am sticking out like flare in the night with the mix of shade and sun. He is cautious but not spooked. I am statue like. He takes a couple steps and is now behind a tree. I adjust slightly and I am ready for him to step out. He goes back to drumming and not moving. Again, feels like forever. Finally, he emerges from the tree, facing away. I put the bead of my shotgun on his neck and pull the trigger.

He goes down hard and does not flop. I ran up, jumping through the briars and limbs to get my hands on him. A gorgeous bird and the happiest hunter in the woods. 30 minute afternoon hunt.

DSC04359.jpg

QfaYYEZ.jpg

2QWP1Af.jpg

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Nicely done! I’ll be going out for my first turkey in a couple of weeks here in NM. Very encouraging to see a bird on the ground.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! Hard to beat a successful turkey hunt. Every experience is so different and so memorable. Each tom has a different personality, and you get to learn about them on almost a personal level unlike many other types of hunting. Love it!

Zdub02

WKR
Congrats! I'm itching to get out but won't be able to for another month or so. Gotta love spring time.