Misinformation perpetuated on internet forums

And then of course the age old argument that camo doesn't matter, Fred Bear killed more game with traditional archery tackle in a flannel than you and I might ever kill combined.

Flannel checks.... the original "little squares"!

Actually more truth to that than you would first assume. Scottish tartens (the original checked pattern) came in hunting variations. Sitka, etc was late to the party by a few hundred years. :)

Flannel checks.... the original "little squares"!

Actually more truth to that than you would first assume. Scottish tartens (the original checked pattern) came in hunting variations. Sitka, etc was late to the party by a few hundred years. :)

Ive killed everything the last few years in this shirt- ever since I bought it. I’ve washed it every year since I bought it as well. I’m pretty sure these are the right squares. They’ve been effective all over high and low, varied fauna in varied flora. These pants also seem to have the right texture and reflective ness to help insure animals glance right past you. Possibly the. Proper uv or ir chemistry. They e got a ton of blood in them. They’ve never been washed. They’re dry clean only and mrs Kim said no.
Maybe I should post this in thread that’s not for disinformation- because it actually works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
56ccd8287e6c456dd6b92370aa775af2.jpg

WKR
Not going to claim this as bad advice but I find it peculiar how many people say they pee around their camp in bear country supposedly to smell up the area. It is common practice in whitetail country to pee in scrapes or make mock scrapes and pee in them to attract bucks to take over a scrape. If urine truly is sterile when it leaves the body how exactly is that supposed to deter a bear?

I don't believe urine is actually sterile, and sterile does not mean that it is without scent.

WKR
...and using the phrase "hands down" as if your opinion is so well constructed that it is simply beyond question and there is absolutely no room for disagreement.

IMO "Hands down" yields an immediate 75% reduction in credibility.

It is, hands down, the worst phrase that I regularly see on hunting forums...

Btaylor

WKR
I don't believe urine is actually sterile, and sterile does not mean that it is without scent.

I know it is not without scent. My poorly worded question is if human pee smelled like humans why would it attract a deer to take over a scrape? Extending that thought process to peeing around camp for bears, if human pee does not smell human then what do you gain with regards to bears? Like I said before I am not saying it does not work for bears and maybe they can discern the difference. I just find it curious.

Poser

WKR
I know it is not without scent. My poorly worded question is if human pee smelled like humans why would it attract a deer to take over a scrape? Extending that thought process to peeing around camp for bears, if human pee does not smell human then what do you gain with regards to bears? Like I said before I am not saying it does not work for bears and maybe they can discern the difference. I just find it curious.

It’s a great question. I’d guess that urinating around camp would possibly serve the same purpose as a dog pissing on its territory or even on other dogs. So perhaps it’s a predator thing? The real question though is since urine quickly turns into ammonia, would a bear be able to distinguish between prey urine ( a deer, perhaps) and predator urine?

KJH

WKR
It’s a great question. I’d guess that urinating around camp would possibly serve the same purpose as a dog pissing on its territory or even on other dogs. So perhaps it’s a predator thing? The real question though is since urine quickly turns into ammonia, would a bear be able to distinguish between prey urine ( a deer, perhaps) and predator urine?

I always pee around my camp and meat poles, and haven't had an issue in brown bear / grizzly/ and black bear country. I don't have any scientific facts that it works, just anecdote, but I'll keep doing it because I think it works. Besides I have to take a leak somewhere.

Last year I killed a great bull moose not far from camp. Within 24 hours the carcass had bears all over it. Within 72 hours it was gone! 400 yards away I had my camp and a meat pole and they didn't touch it. That meat hung there for 8 days. I peed all around that thing... Even if it wasn't the reason that it was untouched, it made me feel better.

jspradley

WKR
...and using the phrase "hands down" as if your opinion is so well constructed that it is simply beyond question and there is absolutely no room for disagreement.

IMO "Hands down" yields an immediate 75% reduction in credibility.

It is, hands down, the worst phrase that I regularly see on hunting forums...

"Hands down my favorite" is aight...

"Hands down, the best blah blah blah on the market" is not aight...