Misinformation perpetuated on internet forums

I had a bunch of dudes jump on my ass in a forum post with a n00b asking "what caliber is best for shooting 1,000 yards but still has knockdown power (*cringe*) for elk" I simply asked the question "Any of those calibers are capable, but more importantly are you capable of shooting that far?" the Dunning Kruger brigade came out of the woodwork on that one...

I didn't bother stating that anyone who would ask that question in that way probably isn't capable of shooting super long ranges... lol
Owned an archery shop for about 20 yrs. Had more than a few guys walk out when I told them the bow shoots better than they do. Put their bow in a vice and it would stack arrows, and they would have a ten inch group at twenty. The answer is buy the newest rest or sight!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Topics dealing with animal anatomy, the "void" and location of the vitals. It is simply amazing to me how poor of an understanding a large % of hunters have of basic anatomy.

You’d expect that being Hunters and all, they would have seen quite a few vitals first hand.

Rs3003

WKR
Asking questions before SEARCHING easily found answers. I don’t ask many questions, I feel they’ve already been asked. So when I SEARCH I find quite quickly. Some do not know there is a SEARCH box.

Grundy53

WKR
All the guys on here not expressing profit & loss of a variance swap in vega notional.
Let alone doing variance swaps over vol swaps just because it is easier to hedge.
Easier to hedge...yeah right...how about in an illiquid/reduced vol market?

Other than those pet peeves...all other advice posted on this forum is rok solid.
Yeah, but can you time the market?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Billinsd
Heck there are people that will follow a GPS unit to there deaths because they trust something or someone more then they can trust there own self. It amazes me what people believe these days because they read it on the net or someone told them it a video.

A guy I used to work for had a city girl drive into his farm pond late one night because she was following her phone navigation. She was 40 miles from where she should've been.

This is like the anti-fanboy thread, I love it.

Mt Al

WKR
-I recently bought pack X and wore it in the house with a milk jug to test it. Hands down THE best pack ever made. WHAT?!? You didn't buy one?!? You're an idiot.

-(favorite...) My $40.43 Vortex Stealth Viper TEAM 6 Tactical Fart Dust Impregnated Optics are almost as good as your Leica or Swarovski. I proved it by looking at the (low end) store's exit sign, or by taking it out to the parking lot in the middle of the day. I don't get the obvious: Vortex sent out a jillion internet posters on forums like this, LRH, AR and many others with the same tag line (guys..please compare Vortex to Swarovski. By doing this we're compared to them automatically, instead of, say, Simmons).

-You need a half day pack, day pack for scouting, day hunting pack, one night pack and 24 night pack.

-You need the absolute best cloths money can buy. Can't do it? Stay home and paint your wife's nails!!

-You need five or eight rifles, whichever's more.

jspradley

WKR
-I recently bought pack X and wore it in the house with a milk jug to test it. Hands down THE best pack ever made. WHAT?!? You didn't buy one?!? You're an idiot.

-(favorite...) My $40.43 Vortex Stealth Viper TEAM 6 Tactical Fart Dust Impregnated Optics are almost as good as your Leica or Swarovski. I proved it by looking at the (low end) store's exit sign, or by taking it out to the parking lot in the middle of the day. I don't get the obvious: Vortex sent out a jillion internet posters on forums like this, LRH, AR and many others with the same tag line (guys..please compare Vortex to Swarovski. By doing this we're compared to them automatically, instead of, say, Simmons).

-You need a half day pack, day pack for scouting, day hunting pack, one night pack and 24 night pack.

-You need the absolute best cloths money can buy. Can't do it? Stay home and paint your wife's nails!!

-You need five or eight rifles, whichever's more.

I have the best clothes money can buy...but still can't kill anything. Must be because it's all mismatched... :-(

Poser

WKR
Mountain House meals taste good and don’t leave you constipated until you suddenly shit your guts inside out. 🤢

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
"We studied ungulates and know they can't see you when wearing camo created with little squares."

The "camo matters" myth that is continually perpetuated on the interwebs. Camo is a marketing ploy made for humans. More importantly, lately, it's used by manufacturers to differentiate their product from everyone else's. In the past, clothing manufacturers used to license one of the major patterns. Usually Realtree or Mothwing or whatever. But they soon realized nobody could identify their clothes. Hence, patterns specific to brands. And more proof that your pattern really doesn't matter.

FlyGuy

WKR
It's all about kenetic momentum and 45% FOC.

(Everyone knows velocity is the most critical factor in proper bow selection.)

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

marktole

WKR
"We studied ungulates and know they can't see you when wearing camo created with little squares."

The "camo matters" myth that is continually perpetuated on the interwebs. Camo is a marketing ploy made for humans. More importantly, lately, it's used by manufacturers to differentiate their product from everyone else's. In the past, clothing manufacturers used to license one of the major patterns. Usually Realtree or Mothwing or whatever. But they soon realized nobody could identify their clothes. Hence, patterns specific to brands. And more proof that your pattern really doesn't matter.

Although I am guilty of having a bunch of "little square" camo, I couldn't agree more with this post.

Case in point, there was "little square camo 1" in some shades of grey designed to blend you into wide open country. It was the best thing since sliced bread for a long time. Lots of hunters used it, lots of big name guys with shows and YouTube channels killed big elk and deer while wearing it. Then, along came a new "little square camo 2" designed for hunting in wooded, vegetated terrain, below the tree line. Suddenly, "little square camo 1" was insufficient at the job it had already been doing for many years prior in this environment.

So yeah, hunting clothing companies are good at marketing and finding a niche, whether its merino wool, ultralight mountain hunting, gear built for anything from the battlefield to the back country, or making you feel inclusive to "the tribe" for buying their product.

And then of course the age old argument that camo doesn't matter, Fred Bear killed more game with traditional archery tackle in a flannel than you and I might ever kill combined.