Minimalist shoe/boot - transition process

prm

WKR
If a guy wanted to wear something like vivos on a daily basis, but hunt in a a pair of kenetrek, schnees, crispis, etc. would he run the risk, due to his feet “splaying out”, of no longer fitting into a “normal” hunting boot?
I would not call Altras minimalist, but after a year or so of wearing either them or a leather moccasin daily, mostly standing at my desk, I did find I had to go up a half size on hunting boots. Boots that had previously fit a little snug no longer work and those that were on the looser side are now wearable, but snug.

Antares

WKR
Depends on the person. Most that I’ve seen do get wider feet when they completely switch to wearing very minimalist shoes. Though I’m not sure why someone that could transition to minimal shoes would choose to wear very supportive boots for hunting. Once someone’s feet is built up sufficiently, hunting in very minimal shoes even in rough terrain isn’t an issue.

I’ve been wearing vivos daily for about 3 months and my “regular” hunting boots feel like hockey skates now. I had no noticeable transition period switching to minimalist footwear, I guess because I’m barefoot or in flip flops a lot anyway. I’m not sure what I’m going to do when hunting season comes. I want to wear the vivos but the idea of side-hilling with weight gives me pause. I have hyperflexible ankles, which means I roll them a lot but it rarely results in injury.

Depends on the person. Most that I’ve seen do get wider feet when they completely switch to wearing very minimalist shoes. Though I’m not sure why someone that could transition to minimal shoes would choose to wear very supportive boots for hunting. Once someone’s feet is built up sufficiently, hunting in very minimal shoes even in rough terrain isn’t an issue.
Speaking from a point of ignorance as I’ve never tried hunting in minimal footwear (though I squat and deadlift weekly in chucks with significantly heavier loads than any pack I’ve shouldered), I just can’t see myself taking vivos (or similar) on a strenuous mountain hunt. You would take Vivos on a goat or sheep hunt?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Speaking from a point of ignorance as I’ve never tried hunting in minimal footwear (though I squat and deadlift weekly in chucks with significantly heavier loads than any pack I’ve shouldered), I just can’t see myself taking vivos (or similar) on a strenuous mountain hunt. You would take Vivos on a goat or sheep hunt?

I have. Multiple times. Vivo Tracker Forest ESC’s, Inov-8 Rockites, and even Vibram Five Fingers. I use nothing but minimal footwear and I can not think of a place that I would not use them- unless it was time to switch to plastics. Given feet that are strengthened and trained properly; locking your feet in caskets is not a good thing.

BBob

WKR
You would take Vivos on a goat or sheep hunt?
That highly depends on where. I’d wear them in lots of the goat and sheep country I’ve been to in the lower 48 but not at all in some of the country I’ve been to in the northern Rockies up in CA. I’d imagine the same for some conditions in AK. If it gets technical, steep and rocky with ice and snow I’ll be in a traditional boot especially if crampons need to come out. The Michelin soles on the Vivo are not the best on wet rock and ice. Vibram on the Scarpa’s and Sportiva I’ve used are much better in those conditions. But again I’m in Vivo for most everything most of the time.

Last edited:

PlanoDano

FNG
I have. Multiple times. Vivo Tracker Forest ESC’s, Inov-8 Rockites, and even Vibram Five Fingers. I use nothing but minimal footwear and I can not think of a place that I would not use them- unless it was time to switch to plastics. Given feet that are strengthened and trained properly; locking your feet in caskets is not a good thing.
Agreed with one exception. I realize that most Western hunters do not climb. For those that do, I have been unable to use an aider with minimalist footwear.

Last edited:
Ok so forest esc's showed up today. Fit in toebox area is great but there is some chaffing in the Achilles area. Any recommendations on how to lace them? Do I just need to toughen up and get them broken in or do those with experience think the issue will persist?

Ok so forest esc's showed up today. Fit in toebox area is great but there is some chaffing in the Achilles area. Any recommendations on how to lace them? Do I just need to toughen up and get them broken in or do those with experience think the issue will persist?
I had the same issue at first. They broke in some and I learned to lace them looser than I was used to

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Only lace to the ankle and wear them loose.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
For me it was changing how I walk. If I heel strike, it causes the heel blisters. I now try to step a bit more flat footed and it works for me

Ok, so took the esc's on a little 4 mi loop today and WOW!!! These things are comfy!! No hotspots anywhere with them tied loose. But, my feet and legs have a ways to go. Definitely a work your way up kind of thing. I'm really happy with them so far!

Attachments

• PXL_20230507_211057053.jpg
    PXL_20230507_211057053.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 65

SouthPaw

WKR
I've had my Trackers about 2 weeks now and have been wearing them very loose per the folks recomendations here. Working on steep slopes on my property has been no issue. They are very comfortable, maybe the most comfortable footwear I've experienced. I've been in nothing but minimalist for almost 3 months straight now. I don't see myself going back as long as my feet get along with the Trackers during intense mountain hunting and off trail travel.

jeedo

FNG
I've been wearing barefoot shoes for over 5 ish years now. I don't think I have any tips other than just to take it slow so you don't over-do it and injure yourself. Your ankles, legs, core, and sense of balance will adapt over time to be much stronger. Vivo's are great but I find the thin sole a little taxing, I've been liking softstar shoes recently for everyday wear.

My favorite barefoot boots for hunting/hiking/rucking are

The Belleville Minimils (really worth a shot for what they cost, an excellent outdoor boot imo)

and

The Bergkomfort Wanderstiefels - I should probably post a review on these, I think a lot of guys on this site would like them and I haven't seen any reviews yet. They are absolutely comfortable and provide excellent but not excessive support and traction.

sneek-ee

WKR
I've been wearing barefoot shoes for over 5 ish years now. I don't think I have any tips other than just to take it slow so you don't over-do it and injure yourself. Your ankles, legs, core, and sense of balance will adapt over time to be much stronger. Vivo's are great but I find the thin sole a little taxing, I've been liking softstar shoes recently for everyday wear.

The Belleville Minimils (really worth a shot for what they cost, an excellent outdoor boot imo)

and

The Bergkomfort Wanderstiefels - I should probably post a review on these, I think a lot of guys on this site would like them and I haven't seen any reviews yet. They are absolutely comfortable and provide excellent but not excessive support and traction.

and

Are these zero drop? The 2.0's?

sneek-ee

WKR
I have the 1.0s which are zero drop, I believe the 2.0s are as well.
Thanks.
There website is a bit weird. But it says zero rise for the heel. So Iassumed they are zero drop. How stiff is the sole And boot in general? Anything to compare them with for stiffness?
What do yours actually weigh? Website says 575 grams on the 2.0s. Little over 20 ounces per boot? Is this accurate?

How long have you had yours and how many miles? Durability been good or pretty lightweight materials that wear quick? Any pictures of current condition?

These have piqued my interest for a later season boot or when I need more protection and sole than the trackers provide.

jeedo

FNG
@sneek-ee

They are zero drop. The sold is 'medium firm'- not flexible like barefoot shoe, I appreciate the support when I'm carrying loads on inclines. There is some give but not a ton. For me I only like them when I'm carrying weight and/or putting on a bunch of miles- they give me some confidence there, otherwise they are too stiff for just everyday wear. The stiffness also helps on uneven, rocky terrain, as you can 'wedge' a portion of the sole into/onto small footholds without having to rely on the strength of your feet muscles as much. I don't have a lot to compare them to, I'd guess they are like your standard hunting boots in terms of stiffness.

I have had my pair for almost a year, I have put over 30 miles on them, with maybe 6,000-ft or so of elevation usually carrying 30-40 pounds. I will get some pics and weight measurements up when I can, probably tomorrow.

Also they feel very robust and well made, the construction and materials are very nice. They are still in great shape, they will probably last me a while. I've had and loved trackers as well but these are totally different, more rigidity but a nice wide toe box, zero drop, and better traction.

@sneek-ee

They are zero drop. The sold is 'medium firm'- not flexible like barefoot shoe, I appreciate the support when I'm carrying loads on inclines. There is some give but not a ton. For me I only like them when I'm carrying weight and/or putting on a bunch of miles- they give me some confidence there, otherwise they are too stiff for just everyday wear. The stiffness also helps on uneven, rocky terrain, as you can 'wedge' a portion of the sole into/onto small footholds without having to rely on the strength of your feet muscles as much. I don't have a lot to compare them to, I'd guess they are like your standard hunting boots in terms of stiffness.

I have had my pair for almost a year, I have put over 30 miles on them, with maybe 6,000-ft or so of elevation usually carrying 30-40 pounds. I will get some pics and weight measurements up when I can, probably tomorrow.

Also they feel very robust and well made, the construction and materials are very nice. They are still in great shape, they will probably last me a while. I've had and loved trackers as well but these are totally different, more rigidity but a nice wide toe box, zero drop, and better traction.
Follow up with pics?