Milton

Loper

WKR
As a native Floridian I’ve seen and been through dozens of hurricanes and bad storms. I don’t get rattled or worried about them as they are just a part of living here and you deal with them.

However, this hurricane, Milton, that is out in the Gulf is a massive Category 5. In addition to that it is headed right for a major metro area, Tampa Bay. This area, and cities north and south of there just got an indirect hit from Helene causing major flooding. Many residents have discarded their ruined furniture, possessions, sheetrock, etc. from the flooding and it now sits on the curb of the street, waiting to be picked uo by county trash or FEMA. There are still boats strewn across people’s front yards from Helene two weeks ago. At this point there is little to no chance these items get taken off the streets before the hurricane makes landfall on Wednesday. These items are going to be hurled through the air at 150+ mph into houses, cars, storefronts etc. This debris also has the potential to block roads for anyone trying to evacuate last minute, which could result in stranded motorists on roads that could flood.

Tampa hasn’t had a direct hit from a major hurricane in a really, really long time (somebody fact check me on the date). Even during regular storms south Tampa floods, so with a direct hit from a major Cat 5, there could be some significant flooding.

Once it rolls through Tampa it is projected to head right through Orlando, another major metro area.

Between the super intense winds, the storm surge, the recent flooding and debris, and the major cities it is about to rip through, this has the recipe to be catastrophic.

Like I said, I really don’t get worried about hurricanes, but this one has me concerned. I think this is the big one that could be an absolute disaster. I hope I’m wrong.

willtim

WKR
Certainly praying for y'all. We took a hit from the east side of Helene. Got power back Saturday night.

Jacack

WKR
Yes it's going to bad for a large portion of Florida. I am in swfl and while we probably won't get the wind destruction the surge will certainly be major.

My real concern is how wet it is. There will be a unreal amout of trees down taking powerlines with them.

I ran my boat from naples to key west yesterday to hide it down there and man it was a beating getting down. I probably won't have a dock and lift to return to when it's over.

Driving back north last night the traffic from people heading south on 75 towards Miami was bumper to bumper for huge portions and I imagine today will be worse.

I feel for the people from Tampa area. They look to get the brunt of it

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
As a native Floridian I’ve seen and been through dozens of hurricanes and bad storms. I don’t get rattled or worried about them as they are just a part of living here and you deal with them.

However, this hurricane, Milton, that is out in the Gulf is a massive Category 5. In addition to that it is headed right for a major metro area, Tampa Bay. This area, and cities north and south of there just got an indirect hit from Helene causing major flooding. Many residents have discarded their ruined furniture, possessions, sheetrock, etc. from the flooding and it now sits on the curb of the street, waiting to be picked uo by county trash or FEMA. There are still boats strewn across people’s front yards from Helene two weeks ago. At this point there is little to no chance these items get taken off the streets before the hurricane makes landfall on Wednesday. These items are going to be hurled through the air at 150+ mph into houses, cars, storefronts etc. This debris also has the potential to block roads for anyone trying to evacuate last minute, which could result in stranded motorists on roads that could flood.

Tampa hasn’t had a direct hit from a major hurricane in a really, really long time (somebody fact check me on the date). Even during regular storms south Tampa floods, so with a direct hit from a major Cat 5, there could be some significant flooding.

Once it rolls through Tampa it is projected to head right through Orlando, another major metro area.

Between the super intense winds, the storm surge, the recent flooding and debris, and the major cities it is about to rip through, this has the recipe to be catastrophic.

Like I said, I really don’t get worried about hurricanes, but this one has me concerned. I think this is the big one that could be an absolute disaster. I hope I’m wrong.
Wow, you folks are getting hammered by these hurricanes - first Helene and then this one. Prayers for you and your family and all the other folks down there to get through this storm safely.

ScottP76

FNG

They have no idea where the damn thing is going. Only thing they can forecast correctly is somewhere between Tampa and North Port is going to be really ******! Hopefully they are correct that it will drop down to a Cat 3 before it hits.
Lot’s of “firsts” this hurricane season. It can’t end fast enough!

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
My parents live outside of Sarasota area and are thankfully in land far enough to avoid the flooding. Unfortunately my father who works for a custom home builder on primarily water front properties in the area is anticipating an immense amount of loss. They are already busy and have already begun to turn away work after the devastation from Helene. The owner of the company is anticipating total loss of his property and he's not even on any of the barrier islands or water front.

The Sarasota area has taken a beating this year and most of the barrier islands will be a shell of themselves by the time this storm season is finished unfortunately. While most of the news focused on the destruction of Helene in NC and TN the Florida treasure cost got hit hard and sustained a significant amount of damage off of storm surge alone. Unfortunately many of the areas that already experience Helene's storm surge are bracing for more and that's without the protective dunes in place due to being wiped out by Helene. While long forgotten Hurricane Debby brought flooding to the area and it's only continuing to happen for the folks on the west coast of Florida.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Yes it's going to bad for a large portion of Florida. I am in swfl and while we probably won't get the wind destruction the surge will certainly be major.

My real concern is how wet it is. There will be a unreal amout of trees down taking powerlines with them.

I ran my boat from naples to key west yesterday to hide it down there and man it was a beating getting down. I probably won't have a dock and lift to return to when it's over.

Driving back north last night the traffic from people heading south on 75 towards Miami was bumper to bumper for huge portions and I imagine today will be worse.

I feel for the people from Tampa area. They look to get the brunt of it
Smart move to take your boat down there. Hopefully, your dock is still there after the storm.

There’s a lot of people evacuating with with this storm which is good. Hopefully everyone makes it to where they need to go and motorists don’t get stranded on the roads or interstates. Seems many gas stations have run out of fuel or are projected to run out.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I'm sure many of you have seen this by now:
Wow!

One good thing that came from Helene is that people’s eyes were opened to the destruction hurricanes can bring. Sometimes Floridians can shuck aside the warnings from meteorologists, media, or local officials, but Milton is not one you want to do that with. It is good that people are evacuating from some of the coastal areas.

Last edited: