Milsurp hunting

blairvt

FNG
I've killed deer with a M1 Garand and a 1917 Eddystone. They ae plenty accurate for deer hunting, especially with their peep sights. I have an Argentine Mauser I want to try if I ever get the sights regulated. It shoots way high. I also have a Smith Corona O3-A3 that shoots cast bullets great. May give it a try next year. Never hunted with cast bullets before. I like a challenge too.

grfox92

WKR
what specific rifles are you talking about?

The surplus ammo I’ve seen is FMJ so not suitable to hunt.
I agree. Not meant for hunting. However I saw my buddy shoot an antelope at 330 yards with 168grn fmj mil surplus ammo. Quartering away. Went in behind the ribs and blew out the opposing shoulder with a 2 inch entrance and a 3 inch exit.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
All depends on what accuracy you need and weight you're willing to carry. Military bolt guns are (or, were) highly popular and can be very effective for huntingwith the right bullet choice. Military semi-autos can be a blast to shoot but may be on the heavier end of what's comfortable to carry, depending on hunting style and some have marginal accuracy.

I would never hunt with my Mosin Nagant due to having better options in my safe, but I'm not saying it wouldn't work. The drawbacks being weight, open sights and soviet quality control that may or may not ever manifest itself at inopportune times.

jbach50

FNG
Find a rifle that fits, is accurate, and shoot it often.

Grandfather's 1917 Winchester 30-06 made in 1918, I think a custom sporter job in 40's/50's. Built like a tank with an untold round count. Saw my grandfather successfully take shots that were unbelievable to me as a youngster. To this day, it is dead nuts accurate with a peep and 180 gr Core-Lokts. I really want to hunt with it, but just can't bring myself to go unscoped. Even thought about scoping it with something vintage, but, just wouldn't be the same.

EdP

WKR
Why are military weapons different from hunting weapons? The answer is "because the application is different." Each is tailored for its specific application. One can be used for the other, but it's not as well suited.

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
Swiss K31- smooth straight pull bolt & better accuracy than most modern rifles. It hammers the ungulates and pigs. I have never had the heart to molest it and try to mount a scope.