Milsurp hunting

Dunndm

WKR
Does anyone using milsurp rifles to hunt with? If so, which one and why?

Recently got heavily into milsurps and have always hunted with a bow or muzzle loader and am strongly considering hunting with a milsurp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zappaman

WKR
Flip a coin... might be great, but maybe not. Modern guns like the Savage Axis II's come with super accurate barrels and of the dozen I've bought the last 8 years-- they ALL shoot 3/4 MOA or better (proven on a lead sled). For the money I'd go with something modern if your looking for accuracy out of the box.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Flip a coin... might be great, but maybe not. Modern guns like the Savage Axis II's come with super accurate barrels and of the dozen I've bought the last 8 years-- they ALL shoot 3/4 MOA or better (proven on a lead sled). For the money I'd go with something modern if your looking for accuracy out of the box.

I’ve always liked challenges. I know playing with accuracy, especially while hunting. Is not something to play with. Don’t want any wounded animals, bad shots and misses. I just thought it’ll be a new challenge for me, and was really just asking for general advice, stories or pros/cons.

Zappaman

WKR
Just realize the technology of the day for 70 year old+ guns was limited. Mil-spec for the original M16 (military verson of the AR-15) was FOUR (4) MOA! That was in 1964 mind you. But if you buy one and shoot it, then you know if it's "ethical" to hunt with at a given range - again it's 50/50. That said, there are a lot or northern hunters (eskimos) who use mil-surp to this day-- effectively!

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Just realize the technology of the day for 70 year old+ guns was limited. Mil-spec for the original M16 (military verson of the AR-15) was FOUR (4) MOA! That was in 1964 mind you. But if you buy one and shoot it, then you know if it's "ethical" to hunt with at a given range - again it's 50/50. That said, there are a lot or northern hunters (eskimos) who use mil-surp to this day-- effectively!

I guess I’ll have to just buy a few of them and see what one suits me best.. wife might not like it, but I guess that’s a different topic haha

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I used a 1903 that saw service in Korea and Nam for whitetail for 15 years. Probably not the vintage your thinking but any gun that you can accurately shoot will work just fine. Are modern guns better? Of course. Old guns still kill animals every year all over the world. If you like it go for it.

Zappaman

WKR
I hunt quail and pheasant with a 1912 Baker Batavia double barrel- twin full choke barrels/twin triggers (originally a goose gun). LOVE old guns, but if they don't shoot straight- I sell em' off. Problem is mil-surp is (like everything today) overpriced for what you may (or may not) get.

I have run my grandfather's M1 Garand for deer hunting but I also shot CMP so open sights is no big deal for me. I have used 1903 sand Mausers as well. M1 carbine with the right bullets work okay for Hogs.

I know a couple of guys that take pride in h7nting some old military bolt guns and what not. To each their own. As mentioned above you can get more performance for less money with a modern gun but if you want to go blast deer with a mosin nagant, go for it. Pay attention to where semi auto rifles are legal or not if you go that route.

grfox92

WKR
I hunt quail and pheasant with a 1912 Baker Batavia double barrel- twin full choke barrels/twin triggers (originally a goose gun). LOVE old guns, but if they don't shoot straight- I sell em' off. Problem is mil-surp is (like everything today) overpriced for what you may (or may not) get.
I do all my Shotgun hunting with a Baker Batavia Special 1915.

I hit everything I point that gun at without fail.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I know a couple of guys that take pride in h7nting some old military bolt guns and what not. To each their own. As mentioned above you can get more performance for less money with a modern gun but if you want to go blast deer with a mosin nagant, go for it. Pay attention to where semi auto rifles are legal or not if you go that route.

As I said up top, I’ve always liked a challenge. To me shooting the rifle over and over and get within 100 yards will make it fun, I’m excited to give it a crack

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
My grandfather killed every deer he ever took with an arisaka type 99. Not sure if that counts as “surplus” though… but still

It has a nice metal buttplate to distribute recoil directly into your soul.

I’d considering it a milsurp! I guess it all boils down to how accurate I get with what I shoot

Rob762

FNG
Not to open up an old thread, but I’m planning on trying to get a muley with my K31 this year, maybe a bear if I’m feeling froggy. I know of quite a few old timers who were using 8mm Mausers and .303 Enfields inside 250 yards back in the day, I think there’s quite a few milsurp rifles that shine in the timber more than people give them credit for

FLATHEAD

WKR
When I was a kid tagging along with Grandaddy, everybody used either an SMLE .303 Brit
or a 30 Carbine.

49ereric

WKR
I have used a sporterized M1917 eddystone I got cheap. I did get a small buck with it. Accuracy was ok for the woods when I got it but since re-crowned the muzzle and hand loading-neck sizing cuz like most military rifles it has a generous chamber but accuracy improved big time.
The necked size brass won’t chamber in my savage 06 due to shoulder is longer. The barrel is frosted but original.
I have not use my 1944 K98 to hunt deer cuz Mauser sights suck with old eyes.

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
The issue with most surplus rifles is they usually aren't as accurate as hunting rifles. Most hunting rifles will shoot around 1.5 to 2.0 MOA. Also if you plan on shooting MIL surplus ammo you could be off as much as 6" on a 100 yard shot. Doesn't sound like much but it's enough to cause a miss or even worse a bad shoot on an animal that doesn't kill it.

The issue with most surplus rifles is they usually aren't as accurate as hunting rifles. Most hunting rifles will shoot around 1.5 to 2.0 MOA. Also if you plan on shooting MIL surplus ammo you could be off as much as 6" on a 100 yard shot. Doesn't sound like much but it's enough to cause a miss or even worse a bad shoot on an animal that doesn't kill it.
what specific rifles are you talking about?

The surplus ammo I’ve seen is FMJ so not suitable to hunt.