Might of made an mistake.

I agree with the notion of being careful of internet reviews. So many people just take out a band hunt, or a frustration on outside fcators.
I heard a guide talk about dropping off a DIY guy who did nothing but complain that there weren't any deer in SE. On the 3rd day they gave him a GPS and realized at the end of the day that he never walked more then 50 yards from the beach - had to reexplain that this wasn't a whitetail stand and had to MOVE. But he did nothing but bad mouth the hunt opportunity the whole time he was there.

Its also guys punching paper but only killing 1 animal a year what bullets are the most effective. I trust the young guy I know who grew up hunting on a trapline and hunting more then internet opinions. But it is always great to bounce ideas and get more information!

OP
girlwithagun

girlwithagun

FNG
Classified Approved
I agree with the notion of being careful of internet reviews. So many people just take out a band hunt, or a frustration on outside fcators.
I heard a guide talk about dropping off a DIY guy who did nothing but complain that there weren't any deer in SE. On the 3rd day they gave him a GPS and realized at the end of the day that he never walked more then 50 yards from the beach - had to reexplain that this wasn't a whitetail stand and had to MOVE. But he did nothing but bad mouth the hunt opportunity the whole time he was there.

Its also guys punching paper but only killing 1 animal a year what bullets are the most effective. I trust the young guy I know who grew up hunting on a trapline and hunting more then internet opinions. But it is always great to bounce ideas and get more information!
Spot on! There's always that one right...once sat up on a guy saying he wasn't seeing any deer...he shot 3 times and missed, he didn't know I was 1000 yds away the whole time he was hunting and when I picked him up at dark he said he he didn't see anything..smh...I told him I heard 3 shots and he said it wasn't him and complained about everything except the food I cooked. Lol

Laramie

WKR
Spot on! There's always that one right...once sat up on a guy saying he wasn't seeing any deer...he shot 3 times and missed, he didn't know I was 1000 yds away the whole time he was hunting and when I picked him up at dark he said he he didn't see anything..smh...I told him I heard 3 shots and he said it wasn't him and complained about everything except the food I cooked. Lol
Another direction you could go - If you can't get your deposit back, be upfront about your anxiety and the reasons behind it. I would be completely wide open and tell them you write on a national forum and that many people will be following your story. Might get you into their best spot in an attempt to start correcting their image?

OP
girlwithagun

girlwithagun

FNG
Classified Approved
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I wanted to close this post with the result of the question I asked and thank everyone who added input especially you LB, it was truly helpful. I had a great conversation with the planner I had to have a duck's back for few parts of it, and for whatever reason he only works with that pilot so selecting another one wasn't seemingly an option, but it ended with us both laughing and him willing to make a concession and claimed he truly wanted me to be happy with my hunt. What I hope from this is that it helps people in the future and that the planner/pilot make smart moves to lessen the mis/lack of comm and disorganization issues experienced in the past few seasons. Happy holidays and keep your powder dry!

Powder

FNG
I'm glad you were able to get it worked out. Like many things in life, it's amazing what can happen when we take our issues directly to the person we are having them with. Sometimes it's just a simple misunderstanding. Good luck with your hunt. If it matters, I shoot a 30.06 for moose. Dropped with one shot this fall.

OP
girlwithagun

girlwithagun

FNG
Classified Approved
I'm glad you were able to get it worked out. Like many things in life, it's amazing what can happen when we take our issues directly to the person we are having them with. Sometimes it's just a simple misunderstanding. Good luck with your hunt. If it matters, I shoot a 30.06 for moose. Dropped with one shot this fall.
Thanks! I love my LH 30.06 it will for sure be what I use.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I wanted to close this post with the result of the question I asked and thank everyone who added input especially you LB, it was truly helpful. I had a great conversation with the planner I had to have a duck's back for few parts of it, and for whatever reason he only works with that pilot so selecting another one wasn't seemingly an option, but it ended with us both laughing and him willing to make a concession and claimed he truly wanted me to be happy with my hunt. What I hope from this is that it helps people in the future and that the planner/pilot make smart moves to lessen the mis/lack of comm and disorganization issues experienced in the past few seasons. Happy holidays and keep your powder dry!
Sounds about right. Wish we would all would give folks benefit of trust before we (and I use the term WE intentionally) got all nervous and spun up. Of course there are crooks out there, but 99% of folks just want to see happy customers and live their life as they see fit. Glad you went to him and glad it worked out. LB is a class act, btw. Good luck on your hunt when / where / how it eventually happens

OP
girlwithagun

girlwithagun

FNG
Classified Approved
Sounds about right. Wish we would all would give folks benefit of trust before we (and I use the term WE intentionally) got all nervous and spun up. Of course there are crooks out there, but 99% of folks just want to see happy customers and live their life as they see fit. Glad you went to him and glad it worked out. LB is a class act, btw. Good luck on your hunt when / where / how it eventually happens
Thank you! My post was to in Hope's of finding a good word or two about the pilot more than the planner but none found here either. I couldn't reach the planner bc he was out hunting/trapping for a couple of weeks. But it's all okay, I feel good about how it all turned out for everyone. BTW I did not ask for a refund at all, he offered a partial refund.

Iceman82

FNG
I have used Kent in the past and he provided everything he said he would. I don't think the Game and Fish care for him but that's another story. (Hard Way Back) His book about his run it's with the law. I'm not sure he is the most outstanding man in Alaska but he did seem to be true to his word.
As far as the. 06, I would absolutely go with it. The best part is, if the airlines happen to lose your luggage, you can purchase. 06 ammo pretty much anywhere.
Google luck and I wish I was going with you.

I am finally doing my dream hunt. I was in planning stages 13years ago with my husband, read LB's book, started talking to a native Alaskan family member who was going to join, but then we found out my hisband had cancer and the trip never happened and he passed on shortly after. Sooo fast forward to now...it's still my dream hunt. So I started researching and asked my son in law to be my partner which he said he would. Trying to plan it for 2024 and the DIY help I found available is not well mentioned on this forum so I'm worried I may have already committed and it may be a mistake. (Kent Kaiser/Kavik Av, hunt dates are booked). Any suggestions on how to mitigate the issues experienced by some of the people who have been there done that would be hugely appreciated.
Just curious as to if you ended up going with Kent or not and how your experience was? I have been researching hunts and have been contemplating using his services and am looking for some feedback other than the reviews on his own website. If anyone has any more recent experiences (good or bad) with Kent I would appreciate hearing about them.

OP
girlwithagun

girlwithagun

FNG
Classified Approved
Just curious as to if you ended up going with Kent or not and how your experience was? I have been researching hunts and have been contemplating using his services and am looking for some feedback other than the reviews on his own website. If anyone has any more recent experiences (good or bad) with Kent I would appreciate hearing about them.
I did not. I've chosen another option for our hunt. Although he said he would refund the deposit he has not and I won't push the issue because that's just not me. $5000 lesson learned!! Hindsight I would push for more info BEFORE you give him any money. Ask about the pilot he makes you use (not optional he only uses 1), ask about the popularity of the rivers he will put you in. Figure out where/what you want to hunt and see if he can get you in there. Feel free to call me for more info that I'm not comfortable sharing in this platform is you wish. 254-217-7392

bmrfish

WKR
Please let us know if he does or does not refund your deposit. His character will be good to know for others thinking of using him in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
girlwithagun

girlwithagun

FNG
Classified Approved
Please let us know if he does or does not refund your deposit. His character will be good to know for others thinking of using him in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's been a year now and no refund was sent. I haven't pushed the issue at all. I knew it was non refundable so the offer was from the kindness of his heart. It just never happened.

Sounds like you asked for a refund and he was willing but never gave it?

Are you still planning a hunt up here? If so, what unit?

I’m in unit 19D and I spent a few hours talking to different hunting groups that were flying out of my village. Number one complaint I heard was they were waiting to fly out to their camps.

I kind of laughed but mentioned that weather happens and that it’s much better to arrive late, than dead.

Most of the hunters I encountered were outgoing and pleasent to talk with but some, I could tell would be a hotmess to deal with.

OP
girlwithagun

girlwithagun

FNG
Classified Approved
Sounds like you asked for a refund and he was willing but never gave it?

Are you still planning a hunt up here? If so, what unit?

I’m in unit 19D and I spent a few hours talking to different hunting groups that were flying out of my village. Number one complaint I heard was they were waiting to fly out to their camps.

I kind of laughed but mentioned that weather happens and that it’s much better to arrive late, than dead.

Most of the hunters I encountered were outgoing and pleasent to talk with but some, I could tell would be a hotmess to deal with.
I am locked in and ready to do this hunt now and anxious-excited as you can imagine.

In my conversation with him I did not ask for a refund I had already decided not to before speaking to him after feedback here and because I knew it wasn't when I sent it. Fate and karma are real imo. I expressed my concerns about the numerous negative pilot reviews and disappointment in the area he chose as it wasn't what my dream hunt looked like. That had he given me more info to decide on before I paid him I wouldn't have agreed to that hunt and could we have worked more on that but he was unmovable on those 2 things for reasons I didn't understand at the time. But do more so now. He ran into a member on here when he returned from his hunt before we had gotten to speak and was made aware of this thread and told them he would refund because he wanted me to have a great experience. He told me the same when we spoke, so he was aware of my concerns before we spoke. If he does he does if he doesn't he doesn't. He certainly has every right not to. There's probably plenty of info out there about him to determine his character but this situation shouldn't be one of them. I would talk to him yourself if planning a hunt, it may be exactly what others would want.

I am locked in and ready to do this hunt now and anxious-excited as you can imagine.

In my conversation with him I did not ask for a refund I had already decided not to before speaking to him after feedback here and because I knew it wasn't when I sent it. Fate and karma are real imo. I expressed my concerns about the numerous negative pilot reviews and disappointment in the area he chose as it wasn't what my dream hunt looked like. That had he given me more info to decide on before I paid him I wouldn't have agreed to that hunt and could we have worked more on that but he was unmovable on those 2 things for reasons I didn't understand at the time. But do more so now. He ran into a member on here when he returned from his hunt before we had gotten to speak and was made aware of this thread and told them he would refund because he wanted me to have a great experience. He told me the same when we spoke, so he was aware of my concerns before we spoke. If he does he does if he doesn't he doesn't. He certainly has every right not to. There's probably plenty of info out there about him to determine his character but this situation shouldn't be one of them. I would talk to him yourself if planning a hunt, it may be exactly what others would want.
I don’t need a guide. I live in one of the best moose hunting areas of our state.

More of a curiosity than anything. So what unit are you planning to hunt? Curious there too? Might have some connections to help. Got connections in 21/18/17 and 19. Yep. No outfitters but local intel that might be helpful with logistics with a DIY type.

OP
girlwithagun

girlwithagun

FNG
Classified Approved
I don’t need a guide. I live in one of the best moose hunting areas of our state.

More of a curiosity than anything. So what unit are you planning to hunt? Curious there too? Might have some connections to help. Got connections in 21/18/17 and 19. Yep. No outfitters but local intel that might be helpful with logistics with a DIY type.
What a nice offer! I appreciate that very much. Local intel being shared is invaluable! You’re blessed to live where you do. I love Alaska and all it has to offer is mind blowing. The hunt is in 20. Flying out of Tok with 40Mile. LB has been so incredibly helpful with local intel, he is imo one hell of an awesome person and I’m forever grateful to him for sharing it with me.

280Ackley

WKR

Very smart decision. My buddy and his dad just got back from a trip with an outfitter that had many questionable reviews and feedback. There were very many red flags but they decided to go ahead. Their trip ended up costing double the price initially quoted and they never saw or heard a moose in the 10 days there were out. He is understandably sickened but the how there hunt went.

OP
girlwithagun

girlwithagun

FNG
Classified Approved
Very smart decision. My buddy and his dad just got back from a trip with an outfitter that had many questionable reviews and feedback. There were very many red flags but they decided to go ahead. Their trip ended up costing double the price initially quoted and they never saw or heard a moose in the 10 days there were out. He is understandably sickened but the how there hunt went.
Aww man I hate that for them. Sorry to hear this.