Midsize SUV Experience?

We got my wife a 2023 Traverse Redline about two years ago. She loves it and it's a pretty sharp looking ride inside and out. She's got 30k on it with no issues yet 🤞

Yoder

WKR
I know GM had a lot of issues with their 3.6 6cyl engine, I'm not sure if it was only certain years.

Yooper

WKR
My wife has had two Traverse now. First one was a 2018 that we picked up used. It was good until we started having electrical issues with safety stuff. The sensors on the mirrors were going out and needed replacement to the tune of over $1200 each and a few other little gremlins like that. We dumped it and got a brand new 2020 Traverse. Had that for four years without much issue. It started to burn oil a bit which seemed common with that engine linked to a pcv valve. Simple fix. But we ended up going back to a Subaru Outback after that one. I will say I miss the size of the Traverse. You could put some serious amount of stuff in there so it's good for travel with kids. I like the the Outback, but I almost wish she would have got another Traverse just for the size. Plus they have the Z71 offroad model now.

KenLee

WKR
Kia Sportage w 6 cylinder and 3rd row seat.
Great power, comfortable ride, roomy and shockingly good mpg. Completely reliable for 7.5 yrs and 110k miles

WCB

WKR
We have a 2022 Traverse LT just over 40K on it. No issues wife loves it. 2 years in a row of road trips to MT with two kids and 1 dog and back zero complaints. We take it every weekend in the summer up to the cabin and put a bunch of miles on gravel on it up there. This year it was just the two kids no dog and with the seat down got everything and more in the back with room to spare. 3rd row has only been used a couple of times but will more now with a 3rd kid on the way. However no complaints from those who sat back there. Only thing we have had to do to it thus far is change the oil. Which is super easy...no need for ramps or crawling under it.

We know at least 3 other couples that have the same vehicle within a year +/- of ours and they haven't had any issues and love them.

We drove the Telluride and in our opinion (wife drove it first didn't say a thing then I drove it) it wasn't very good. In fact my wife was set on it and as soon as I parked it back at the dealership she instantly said "Not that great". And unless the prices have corrected themselves it was like 8-10 grand more for the same or similar package. Not that the Traverse is a refined luxury vehicle but the Telluride felt like a cheap cracker box car.

Same for us on the Telluride. We liked the Subaru Ascent better and the dealer wouldn’t let us order what we wanted. Kept pushing us to what they had on the lot. Wife didn’t like that and Subaru dealer let us order exactly what we wanted for cheaper. We have loved it so far.

Trybendr

FNG
Look at the Toyota Highlander Grand and the Kia Telluride.

Skip the Chevy. It’s a cheaply built POS in comparison to anything Toyota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I looked at the grand highlander… I can’t get over the fact it has a 4 banger for the motor as the only option

Yoder

WKR
I always look up vehicles on carcomplaints.com. The older the vehicle, the more accurate their reports are. So many cars are trash for certain years. If you are buying used, I think it's a good idea to buy a decent code reader and plug it in during a test drive to see if anything pops up. The newer readers are cheap and show a ton of live data. I bought a Thinkdiag 2 about a month ago and I'm amazed at what you can look at.

My wife is on her second Traverse (2018) with 130k miles on it. No trouble other than deer collisions. We live in the country and I’m super impressed with how it does in deep snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at the grand highlander… I can’t get over the fact it has a 4 banger for the motor as the only option

I drove the Lexus RX with the same motor yesterday.

It has as much of not more response and pickup than our V6 RX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Yoder

WKR
I keep vehicles to well over 200k miles. We average close to 30k a year on both of our cars. I don't consider something reliable until you hit at least 150k without major repairs. Even a complete piece of garbage should run to 50k without a problem.

farmermail

Lil-Rokslider
We have a 2020 Explorer ST (all the bells and whistles), works great for us, roughly 50k miles on it. Had Toyota, Subaru, etc. previously, they worked just fine as well. I am not familiar with common issues (10 speed transmission I think is one), ours has been fine. Couple of nickel/dime recalls (back up camera if I remember correctly). 3rd row is just big enough for small adults, but certainly not full size adults if you will. Kids, no issues fitting back there.

The only vehicle I bought new was a 2014(?) kia sorento. Gave it to the kid at around 200k miles and I think it had 240k when she traded it in for a new Seltos last year.

Paint issue on the gate the first few months(under warrantee), brakes, rotors and oil is all I ever put into it.

Carlin59

WKR
We have a Grand Highlander. It definitely drives/feels bigger than a regular Highlander, but the same turbo 4 delivers plenty of power with minimal turbo lag in the Grand. Zero complaints from an acceleration or transmission/shiftpoint perspective.

TaperPin

WKR
We rented an explorer for a week - it was nice, easy to drive and more roomy than it looks. I drive a new 4Runner and it’s a little small inside, but it’s easy to drive and I like how it sits higher than the explorer.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Really think about if you want a midsize.

What I've seen over and over is people get a midsize because they don't want something that's "too big" (my wife included) and then within a year they're shopping for something bigger for more room. Especially if there are kids involved and you need the 3rd row.
And then at that point something like a tahoe is worthless because with the 3rd row up you hardly have any trunk space, so then they start shopping for a suburban.

BigBird69

FNG
Really think about if you want a midsize.

What I've seen over and over is people get a midsize because they don't want something that's "too big" (my wife included) and then within a year they're shopping for something bigger for more room. Especially if there are kids involved and you need the 3rd row.
And then at that point something like a tahoe is worthless because with the 3rd row up you hardly have any trunk space, so then they start shopping for a suburban.
I completely agree. I love the Suburban.