Mid tier to premium level optics is the price worth it?

RyanC

WKR
I believe that the quality of glass depends on the type of hunting you do and the critter you are pursuing. For example, I grew up in north ID. I hardly over sat down and glassed for long periods of time, we did more still hunting than anything. In that instance, I didn't need top tier glass, I was using Nikon or even started with Tasco. I lived in AK for a while....living there, I stepped up my glass a bit, mainly a spotting scope to judge sheep. Now, I live in AZ where I sit for hours glassing off a tripod looking for Coues Deer. It took me several years, but I finally saved up enough money and found a great deal of a pair Swaro 15s.

Bottom line is buy what you can afford and go hunt. Don't get wrapped up in affording the best glass, the best custom rifle, the best tent, etc. etc. Get out there and most likely the difference between filling a tag and not filling a tag won't come down to spending an extra $1k on binos. Save your money, start a fund for them and in the meantime.....HUNT!!

TaperPin

WKR
Sadly money is and will be a factor- house needs a new roof (13’ of snow in a winter did some damage) young kid not yet in school, I’m the primary income earner, already working 45-50 hours week…. And I don’t want to put any ‘fun’ things on the credit card
I’m a big fan of $500 binoculars like a Leupold BK4 - they always have a use, even if you upgrade down the road. Great for loaners, truck binocs, kids, backups, etc.

One of my favorite things is having half a dozen people glassing at the same time in a target rich environment - it quickly becomes clear who can see things and who can’t, and there’s nothing better than trying a friend’s expensive gear. In bright light and normal wind used right next to swaros, there is a difference, but Swaros hand held with good technique don’t pick up any more targets than BK4’s rested on a trekking pole. Just like a BK4 spotting scope compared to swaros - side by side there is a difference, but a cheap tripod and Swaros in normal wind won’t see detail any better then BK4’s with a good heavy tripod. Dragging a heavier tripod and having to take a steadier binoc rest is the price to pay for being cheap.

In low light there’s a little more of a difference.

TaperPin

WKR
Another thing that isn’t talked about much is your age - as we age the amount of lumens of light that can be processed goes down 2x or 3x between 25 and 65 years old. Old eyes need all the help we can get with good light transmission. At about 50 the beginnings of cataracts are visible to the eye doc, even though they don’t become gigantic problems till later - again, better optics are welcome to keep up with the young guys. I just returned from Scheels and even the manikin with the mom-bod looks better than the skinny one. :)

Hnthrdr

WKR
Lots of good info stated above me. I will say as a guy who has climbed the optics ladder, I have probably spent 2x buying and selling entry and mid level glass than if I would have gone with a top of the line from the start… that said. I didn’t have the funds to do that at the time so I bought what I could afford. I am in a different place now so I can get what I Want, but there is a difference between wants and needs right? So mid tier stuff will suit 90% of hunters. A lot of folks I know don’t have the patience to sit behind a bino to make their eyes sore, but if you are in the 10% you will absolutely notice a difference, went from vortex to Nikon, to leupold, back to vortex, and recently to swaro. Still have a few pairs of the lessers for loaners or still hunting. The sweet spot IMO seems around 650-850 bucks, especially if buying used. After that the gains are smaller and smaller out to the edge of the silly expensive stuff

Jon Boy

WKR
Glass is the most over rated gear in my opinion, but I’m an elk hunter. If I was a couse hunter I’d probably say different. There’s great optics for sale in the $500 range. Spotters are different and the razor is the lowest range I’d go and is the one I use.

WRO

WKR
My experience: Expensive glass all but guarantees they will be great. Meaning, buy high end , they will be good. Once you get in the $500 range, look through them before purchase. I have found GREAT glass (checks all boxes) in that price range, but it is hit and miss. Don't trust online reviews, look through them. Bottom line: If one is looking for a balance between quality/price, spend the time looking through a bunch of brands, models, etc. The variance is so wide, only looking through them will help you decide.

Are you taking them in the field and glassing for hours or basing it off store view..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you taking them in the field and glassing for hours or basing it off store view..

Morre time, the better of course. Store view will definitely weed out glass that doesn't work for you. See if the coatings represent color they way you like, field of view, eye relief, weight, etc.

Redthies

FNG
Glass is the most over rated gear in my opinion, but I’m an elk hunter. If I was a couse hunter I’d probably say different. There’s great optics for sale in the $500 range.
This is very good point. I live in the mountains and woods of the Kootenays (Northern Idaho, NE Washington and BC border country. It is very rare to be able to glass significant distances around here. I hunt 95% of my days with a .30-30 or .44 magnum as 100 yards is considered a long shot here. It’s been a long time since I’ve shot a deer at over 30 yards. I don’t need $3-4,000 binos to check out a deer at 150 yards. About the only time I need them is in mule deer season where we are limited to minimum of 4 pts on one side.

JGRaider

WKR
Yes, they will but that’s a PITA to have gear go down. And it will with Vortex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
As I mentioned earlier, I've hunted since 1971 every year and guided hunts for 16 years. I've had to send back 2 Swaro scopes, 3 geovid 3200.com's, a Swaro EL, and a Zeiss 85 T FL spotter. The Swaro's took about 6-8 weeks to fix, the Geovid CS was a miserable experience that they never got right, and the Zeiss was in Germany for 7 months. At least with Vortex you'll have them back new or fixed within 10 days. Only 3 years with a Fury AB, so far exemplary performance.

Looks like you answered your question. Stick with the $500 pair. Do not even consider leaving your family without for a little better glass.
This. I love my swaro els but I dang sure didn't consider an expense that would stress my finances.
In my opinion better glass is worth the money but not at the expense of responsibility.

My first binos cost $100. I used them for 10 years. They were optically crap but they made things seem closer or bigger. As time went on I was much better off financially. Where I made a mistake was not jumping into alfa glass when I could afford it. I bought a $700 bino. A year later a looked thru some els a friend had and bought a pair the next week.

While I now have a great $700 bino for a spare ( which I have never needed in 19 years) I should have
By passed the $700 bino and when right to the alfa glass.

That was right for me. Not for everyone, but the message is the same.
Good luck

kthomas

FNG
I know aware Swarovski el 10x50 exist, but offering a optic that is 3k when I know buying a 1k bino will leave my family without isn’t super helpful- if money wasn’t an issue I would not be asking this question

You can get very close to Swaro quality without spending Swaro money.

Open box Kowa Genesis 10.5x44's from CameraLandNY will be sub $1k and will very much compete with Swaro's. We are talking very small nuances in performance differences.

Used is a good way to go as well. Swaro's keep their value very well, but Meoptas and Zeiss Conquest HD's can be found for a good deal.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Swaro ATX spotter this past fall. I absolutely do not regret spending that money at all. Phenomenal glass.

I just haven’t got to the point where I feel a need to upgrade my binos yet. I went from the Viper HD to the Razor UHD and they look great to my eyes. My friend’s NL pures had a slight edge, but not enough to justify the upgrade.

It all just depends on what you want to spend on your gear. Plenty of guys kill animals every year with low end rifles/bows/optics.