Mid tier to premium level optics is the price worth it?

Article 4

WKR
The fact is today's $500-$1000 binoculars are better than ever. There's not a $500 glass made today that won't get you past legal shooting light, easily. If a guy isn't successful nowadays hunting with a $500 binocular, it's the hunter's fault, not the glass.
True, that the binos have gotten better - I disagree about legal shooting light though. In an open field in ideal conditions, perhaps....in the dark timber or bad conditions or non-optimal conditions, no way. Its not just about light gathering, its about discernments of shape, an ear twitch, or seeing a mark to shoot - the longer the range, the more important

Hunters fault? Not always. Cannot shoot what you don't see or aren't capable of seeing due to limitations. I have founds hundreds and hundreds of animals with high end glass that other hunters never saw looking at the same spot at the same time with less bino.

IME the level of technology and performance jumps take place in areas of significant price jump. Meaning

Many binos in the 500 - 1000 range will be very similar
Many binos in the 2500 to 3200 range will be similar

If you put a 500 bino next to a 2500 bino and look back and forth, you are going to see a diff - every time. Especially in very low light. There is something to be said for the glass, tech and coating of the highest end binos...only you can decide if it is worth it to you

Buy the best glass you can possibly afford and you will always be better off and likely never go back to budget minded glass again.

True, that the binos have gotten better - I disagree about legal shooting light though. In an open field in ideal conditions, perhaps....in the dark timber or bad conditions or non-optimal conditions, no way. Its not just about light gathering, its about discernments of shape, an ear twitch, or seeing a mark to shoot - the longer the range, the more important

Hunters fault? Not always. Cannot shoot what you don't see or aren't capable of seeing due to limitations. I have founds hundreds and hundreds of animals with high end glass that other hunters never saw looking at the same spot at the same time with less bino.

IME the level of technology and performance jumps take place in areas of significant price jump. Meaning

If you put a 500 bino next to a 2500 bino and look back and forth, you are going to see a diff - every time. Especially in very low light. There is something to be said for the glass, tech and coating of the highest end binos...only you can decide if it is worth it to you

Buy the best glass you can possibly afford and you will always be better off and likely never go back to budget minded glass again.
I don't care what expensive binoculars you have or what "legal shooting time" is. If youre at the point where it's too dark to see your target with 500 dollar binoculars it's not safe to shoot at it

Last edited:

JGRaider

WKR

Yeah, well I own a couple of "alphas", the ELSV 10x50 and the SLC 8x42, along with several "near alphas" like the Meostar HD, Razor HD, Toric UHD, Gold RIng HD, and I also have a Vortex Viper HD and a Fury AB. I have them side by side on tripods many times, along with my son's SLC 10x42 and Conquest HD. Differences are subtle and not a deal breaker. YMMV.

Article 4

WKR
Yeah, well I own a couple of "alphas", the ELSV 10x50 and the SLC 8x42, along with several "near alphas" like the Meostar HD, Razor HD, Toric UHD, Gold RIng HD, and I also have a Vortex Viper HD and a Fury AB. I have them side by side on tripods many times, along with my son's SLC 10x42 and Conquest HD. Differences are subtle and not a deal breaker. YMMV.
Great, I have had a few middle of the road binos too...was even sponsored by that same middle of the road company...once I had a premium bino to compare it to, I took my own $ and bought them...bought them again, upgraded again and have never looked back. Same with rifle scopes. Fact is, premium high end glass is just better. Period

Better optics
No eye fatigue after 8 hours in the glass
Everything is better.
Whether they are subtle or glaring, there are differences as you said.

Gseith

WKR
Family first. I’m a gear junky, but I’m always budgeting for it so my family has the best.
For years I purchased $100-$200 binos. A couple years ago I was making a bigger purchase for me, and got some Maven’s C 10x42. Big improvement to my eyes. Not saying they are the best, but if you are like me you will be happy for the price. And your not putting the family out.

OP
D
Yup, agree on the used comment. Picked my B2 11’s up from a member on here for $880 shipped and have been very happy with them.
There is a maven b6 currently in classifieds that I might be anble to reply too in time and I whole heartedly agree about not looking through anything I can’t afford :).

Last year I made the mistake of seeing what a custom action and chassis under a leupold mark 5 feels like at PRS practice day feels like Thanks again to all the replies and input

I personally believe it has been more than worth it for me. That is all pretty subjective. To help knock out the subjectiveness and get to where YOU know it’s worth it, rent some Binos and try as many out as possible. People react differently to rolling ball, chromatic abberation, width of Binos, total weight, etc.

I rented some Mavens when I used Leupolds and they were quite a bit better to my eyes. Then I took a leap with Swaro and I will now always run Swaro. The perceived advantage was big enough that I made other financial sacrifices to be able to afford them. I haven’t had one single shred of regret.

I’ve now had 15x56 SLC’s, 10x50 EL’s, 10x42 EL’s, 10x42 NL’s and 12x42 NL’s. The 10x42 NL’s match my style of hunting and eyes bette than all the others for a one and done bino.

There are places online that rent all of the above and I would be more than happy to meet up with someone semi local if I had something someone wanted to try out for a day.

PS: not trying to push Swaro, was just sharing my personal experience with premium vs mid tier. The Mavens I tried out were the B2 11x45’s and I really like them. They gathered light quite a bit better than my Leupold Mojave’s even with the higher power and the ergos were really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Redthies

FNG
best piece of advice i can give you if you plan on buying 500$ binos....
don't look through 2500$ binos :ROFLMAO::LOL:
I looked through $4,400 binos and preferred the next pair I tried which very conveniently were $450. I just couldn’t get the $4,400 ones to focus with my eyes. Lucky me!😜

WRO

WKR
In the cheaper end, the monarch HG’s from Nikon are pretty darned good for the money, you can get a refurb pair for under 700.00

Redthies

FNG
People react differently to rolling ball, chromatic abberation, width of Binos, total weight, etc.

This 100%. I was shocked by the fact that I couldn’t get my eyes to work with Swaros, (or vice versa). It may have just been the one model I tried, but they would not focus clearly. Possibly there was a problem with that particular pair? Either way, I tried some $450 Vortex and they were laser sharp. Best of all I have tried in person, so I bought them.

BigNate

WKR
Like many things in life, you can only do what you can do.

I lost a really nice pair and couldn't justify the expense to replace them. I bought Nikon Monarch to get by, and was happy using them for the cost. Way better than some similar priced at the time. Definitely better than nothing.

I just traded an unused rifle for a pair of NIB Leicas. Good trade for both parties. Have anything you could trade with to keep your cash?

KenLee

WKR
This 100%. I was shocked by the fact that I couldn’t get my eyes to work with Swaros, (or vice versa). It may have just been the one model I tried, but they would not focus clearly. Possibly there was a problem with that particular pair? Either way, I tried some $450 Vortex and they were laser sharp. Best of all I have tried in person, so I bought them.
Good new is that you can try again when the Vortex break.

Reactions: WRO

farmermail

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like you answered your question. Stick with the $500 pair. Do not even consider leaving your family without for a little better glass.
My experience: Expensive glass all but guarantees they will be great. Meaning, buy high end <insert brand here>, they will be good. Once you get in the $500 range, look through them before purchase. I have found GREAT glass (checks all boxes) in that price range, but it is hit and miss. Don't trust online reviews, look through them. Bottom line: If one is looking for a balance between quality/price, spend the time looking through a bunch of brands, models, etc. The variance is so wide, only looking through them will help you decide.

JGRaider

WKR
Good new is that you can try again when the Vortex break.
Even better news is that he discovered what most will deny.......price doesn't have near as much to do with successful field use as in years past. Swaro has great binos/optics, but aren't necessarily very tough. I've proven that over the past 15 years.

JGRaider

WKR
My experience: Expensive glass all but guarantees they will be great. Meaning, buy high end <insert brand here>, they will be good. Once you get in the $500 range, look through them before purchase. I have found GREAT glass (checks all boxes) in that price range, but it is hit and miss. Don't trust online reviews, look through them. Bottom line: If one is looking for a balance between quality/price, spend the time looking through a bunch of brands, models, etc. The variance is so wide, only looking through them will help you decide.
Agreed, as ergonomics play just as big a big role as pure optical quality. Best news is that $500 glass today is as good as any glass the alpha's offered 20 years ago.

I had a pair of maven b1.2 a buddy had the matching c series they really impressed me the biggest difference was the fov between them. He was very happy with them for awhile ultimately he upgraded to a b series from maven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk